Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Moving The 5th Wheel (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/42382-moving-5th-wheel.html)

Lildaddy 03-18-2012 10:41 PM

Moving The 5th Wheel

I'm pulling a 48ft flatbed, trailer it's hitting headache rack when making turns or backing. If I move the 5th wheel back will that affect the weight on rear drives and if so how much.

devildice 03-18-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lildaddy (Post 509557)
I'm pulling a 48ft flatbed, trailer it's hitting headache rack when making turns or backing. If I move the 5th wheel back will that affect the weight on rear drives and if so how much.

yes....and it really depends but a unwritten rule of thumb is something like 300lbs per notch.

Chunker 03-20-2012 12:14 AM

And it will only transfer weight from the steers to the drives. It won't affect the tandems.

Malaki86 03-20-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildice (Post 509560)
yes....and it really depends but a unwritten rule of thumb is something like 300lbs per notch.

More like 75lbs per notch. If you slide it back, it transfers the weight to the drives, forward moves it to the steers.

300lbs per notch is on a "standard" tandem trailer.

barf 03-20-2012 03:06 AM

I thought 300lbs sounded good. I slide mine a lot and mine is 250lbs/notch.

My fuel tanks sit forward. With my co's maxed loads I can only run 1/2 fuel and put my 5th wheel ahead. When light, I can fill my tanks and have to put 5th wheel back again.

dle 03-20-2012 03:29 AM

It depends on where your tanks are and what kind of notches you have. Not sure how to word this. Some fifth wheels have notching that is close together and the pins are relatively thin and others have the notching spread apart a little and the pins are relatively thick.

Chunker 03-20-2012 05:41 AM

I run a KW T660 with aero sleeper and the tanks are 140 gals a piece. My tractor scales in at 21k with the a/c system in back and chains loaded behind it. I run the bulkhead of the trailer just behind the quarter flaps. 6 of the 7 loads I pulled this week were 41k to 44k and everytime I weighed no heavier than 12,200 on the steers and aprox 33,500 on the drives depending on where the shipper put the last 4 of 8 rolls onboard and whether I could move the tandems to lighten up the drives. Tomorrow's dog food load may be a different story, but I scale everything that is over 35k. I suggest you try to find a sweet spot for the fifth wheel where you don't have to move it very often and still have clearance for the bulkhead. You're going to have loads that run the heaviest and be set for them. The lighter loads might just run heavier on the tandems ocassionally, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Orangetxguy 03-20-2012 02:38 PM

Other contributing factors to your problem could be the placement of the "head-ache rack", and the wheel base of your tractor. Most "flatbedders" use tractors with a minimum of 245 inches for the wheel base. 270 + inches is the norm.

Bigmon 03-21-2012 04:23 PM

why is 270 the norm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 509617)
Other contributing factors to your problem could be the placement of the "head-ache rack", and the wheel base of your tractor. Most "flatbedders" use tractors with a minimum of 245 inches for the wheel base. 270 + inches is the norm.

Orangetxguy 03-21-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmon (Post 509658)
why is 270 the norm?

Hmmmmmm. I guess I consider that number the "norm" because of the numbers of flatbed and step-deck "Owner Operator" units I see every day that are far longer in tractor wheelbase than most other operations. They have that extra frame to allow over hang of product on their trailers, and prevent the situation the OP has asked about.

But....I could be wrong. I know that companies like Melton, Maverick and Wylie run 245 to 250 inch wheel base.