Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Well since everyone else does it (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/42325-well-since-everyone-else-does.html)

MichiganDriver 02-20-2012 10:45 PM

Well since everyone else does it

I guess I'm supposed to start a "hey I bought a truck the other day" thread. :)

Well I did buy one. Not a big truck like you big boys drive. I bought a little truck. It's a 1998 IH 22' straight truck. Yeah, I know, I'm going to starve trying to find loads.

The good news is that it's powered by the venerable DT466 engine. 190 beautiful horses baby!

Now I'm having fun structuring my new company, getting my authority and giving the truck the pampering it's sorely needed for awhile. It's kind of fun (while the newness lasts). :)

I guess my real reason for this thread is to acknowledge that from reading so many posts from y'all about how to get started as an o/o doing it is like falling out of bed. Not much to puzzle about, just a case of doing it.

Thank you.

LBF 02-21-2012 12:11 AM

Excellent report!

Keep us informed as to your progress.

solo379 02-21-2012 12:27 AM

Welcome aboard, and good luck!

Roadhog 02-21-2012 08:12 AM

Good deal MD! :)

Are you going to stick Intrastate?
You should be in a great location for smaller freight loads coming north.
Of course the killer would be keeping product going both ways.

I think Traverse City has one of the largest heat treat in the state.
There is always steel coming up from Grand Rapids, and Detroit and going back everyday on those box vans.

MichiganDriver 02-21-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 508967)
Good deal MD! :)

Are you going to stick Intrastate?
You should be in a great location for smaller freight loads coming north.
Of course the killer would be keeping product going both ways.

I think Traverse City has one of the largest heat treat in the state.
There is always steel coming up from Grand Rapids, and Detroit and going back everyday on those box vans.

Interstate for me! One of my main reasons for getting into this business a few years back was that I want to see this fine country and the idea of waiting until I retire to do it is just plain dumb (imho). Imagine spending your own money to go sight-seeing! It'd be a travesty I tells ya. Nope, I've been all over the eastern US and managed to get a little west of the Mississippi a couple of times. Now I want to get paid to see the rest of it.

I was in Traverse City last week looking at a truck. You gotta love the roads up there. I took 115 to 37 and it was downright relaxing. If I was getting paid it would have been like stealing. :)

Mackman 02-22-2012 12:40 AM

Post a pic of the truck

What type of work are you going ot be doing with it??

Mr. Ford95 02-23-2012 12:50 AM

Good luck with it Michigan. :thumbsup:

ftracker 02-23-2012 05:42 AM

Congrats
Good luck for your future works.

MichiganDriver 02-23-2012 11:11 PM

I'm a little surprised that no one has jumped on me for being nuts. :) My job the last few months has consisted of trying to find loads for straight trucks (and 1 semi). What I'm setting out to do is nuts. But having said that, trying to find loads for guys that expect to make it home every night is nuts too. And then there's the guy in the semi, who is downright allergic to leaving the state of Michigan. :) I've spent the last few months saying to myself "damn I wish I had a 'runner'". Well I'm a runner and I'm curious to see if I can find loads for me.

One tip I could use if anyone is willing. For insurance, I called Progressive and the rate they quoted was a little higher than I expected it would be for just a straight. Who else should I call?

Mackman 02-24-2012 12:14 AM

I have www.victoriainsurance.com for my tanker truck and www.easternatlanticins.com for my dump truck.

Progressive was sky high for me.