Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Wood to re-deck a Stepdeck (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/41470-wood-re-deck-stepdeck.html)

GrillN 07-12-2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 500046)
I suppose it could use a coat of paint. :cool:

oh yea.. I plan on sandblasting and painting it. Lets think of these pics as the before shots. I'll post up the after shots when I finish the trailer.

Orangetxguy 07-12-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillN (Post 500044)
lol.. I'm sure DOT won't notice the little hole.

I saw that trailer! It was hauling pipe on I-10 by Lafayette LA!!!

GrillN 07-12-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 500076)
I saw that trailer! It was hauling pipe on I-10 by Lafayette LA!!!

I doubt it was this trailer. This trailer has been sitting in S.FL for a while now.

GMAN 07-12-2011 09:47 PM

I spoke with a friend of mine who suggested yellow pine. I did some checking and spoke with a mill that told me that is what they used on their own trailers. The kicker for me is that I haul excavators on occasion. He said that anything with a track would tear up pine. Too bad. I think they had it for about $0.48/linear foot.

mgfg 07-12-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillN (Post 500051)
oh yea.. I plan on sandblasting and painting it. Lets think of these pics as the before shots. I'll post up the after shots when I finish the trailer.

You're going to sand blast, paint and replace the airlines on the trailer before you do the deck right.....

GrillN 07-12-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 500090)
I spoke with a friend of mine who suggested yellow pine. I did some checking and spoke with a mill that told me that is what they used on their own trailers. The kicker for me is that I haul excavators on occasion. He said that anything with a track would tear up pine. Too bad. I think they had it for about $0.48/linear foot.

I wish I could use "Yella Pine". It's super cheap everywhere and that price that you just mentioned is very cheap if the lumber is over 2 inches thick. Where is this lumber located?

GrillN 07-12-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfg (Post 500091)
You're going to sand blast, paint and replace the airlines on the trailer before you do the deck right.....

Air lines were checked and replaced when we moved the trailer to our yard.

GrillN 07-12-2011 10:04 PM

Guys I'm also looking for lumber and misc. tarps for the stepdeck. A good set of 20K+ lbs ramps will also be needed. If anyone has any leads, please let me know. Thanks

GrillN 07-13-2011 08:11 PM

anyone??

rank 07-14-2011 04:29 AM

use good wood but only replace what needs to be replaced....do the other parts of the deck as they break or as you get the funds. just my .02.

GrillN 07-14-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank (Post 500142)
use good wood but only replace what needs to be replaced....do the other parts of the deck as they break or as you get the funds. just my .02.

I needed to replace the entire deck. I purchased some real solid wood called African Sapele (mohagony). Now I need to figure out how to weather seal it. I wanna try to avoid Thompsons as I haven't read any good reviews of their products. Can anyone tell me what they use on their decks?

mitchno1 07-14-2011 04:43 AM

in NewZealand a reconised timber to use is poplar it is strong with give in it ,was also used on tippers as did not split or break with weight dropped on it .my.03.

crb 07-14-2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillN (Post 500145)
I needed to replace the entire deck. I purchased some real solid wood called African Sapele (mohagony). Now I need to figure out how to weather seal it. I wanna try to avoid Thompsons as I haven't read any good reviews of their products. Can anyone tell me what they use on their decks?

On my utility trailer I use Thompsons of course it doesn't get near the use. My grand father in-law uses used motor oil on his gooseneck and equipment trailer he is just retreating.

GrillN 07-15-2011 01:01 AM

The lumber yard where I purchased the lumber suggested I use Marine Spar Varnish. Any opinions?

GrillN 07-15-2011 01:02 AM

Also, has anyone purchased any tarps from Mytee Products Inc?

GMAN 07-15-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillN (Post 500093)
I wish I could use "Yella Pine". It's super cheap everywhere and that price that you just mentioned is very cheap if the lumber is over 2 inches thick. Where is this lumber located?

I am sorry that I missed your post earlier. I found it at a mill in GA. If you are still interested let me know and I will see if I can find the name.

GrillN 07-15-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 500175)
I am sorry that I missed your post earlier. I found it at a mill in GA. If you are still interested let me know and I will see if I can find the name.

Thanks Gman. I already purchased the African Sapele. It's definitely harder than apitong. I would recommend this Sapele or African mahogany to anyone. Poplar who?? lol

mitchno1 07-15-2011 04:44 AM

i think if you put any paint etc on the timber it only looks worse after wear and tear , unless it just a show piece and not there to make you money

GMAN 07-15-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillN (Post 500176)
Thanks Gman. I already purchased the African Sapele. It's definitely harder than apitong. I would recommend this Sapele or African mahogany to anyone. Poplar who?? lol

I was thinking about using the yellow pine on my trailer for the difference in price, but I sometimes haul excavators and other machinery with tracks. I was informed that it would be better to go with a harder wood because track would chew up the pine. So, I may look into the African Sapele if it is cheaper than Apitong. What did you have to pay for it?

RostyC 07-15-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillN (Post 500173)
Also, has anyone purchased any tarps from Mytee Products Inc?

Harps Tarps. Good people good products. Good prices.
Harps

GrillN 07-16-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchno1 (Post 500181)
i think if you put any paint etc on the timber it only looks worse after wear and tear , unless it just a show piece and not there to make you money

Thanks but theres no way that I would paint the lumber on the deck..

GrillN 07-16-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 500206)
I was thinking about using the yellow pine on my trailer for the difference in price, but I sometimes haul excavators and other machinery with tracks. I was informed that it would be better to go with a harder wood because track would chew up the pine. So, I may look into the African Sapele if it is cheaper than Apitong. What did you have to pay for it?

Check your PM..

GrillN 07-17-2011 11:07 PM

Any suggestions on what I should use to seal the lumber? Looking for something good and non-slippery.

One 07-18-2011 01:58 PM

I guess the reason people are not using wood alternatives like composite is cuz you may have to nail some things down?

GrillN 07-18-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One (Post 500397)
I guess the reason people are not using wood alternatives like composite is cuz you may have to nail some things down?

I couldn't find any good prices on composite down here.

GrillN 07-19-2011 12:59 PM

will boiled linseed oil work as a sealant on the lumber?

GrillN 07-20-2011 10:40 PM

GrillN 07-22-2011 12:37 PM

BTW, I was just contracted by a major lumber supplier to haul and sell Tauri aka Brazilian Oak to the entire trucking industry. As soon as I have the numbers, I'll let everyone know. Keep in mind it's actually harder than apitong. If you're looking for wood for your trailer, please keep me in mind. Thanks

Orangetxguy 07-22-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillN (Post 500452)
will boiled linseed oil work as a sealant on the lumber?

Yes...........

GrillN 07-23-2011 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 500600)
Yes...........

K Thanks

GrillN 07-26-2011 01:57 AM

Almost done with the trailer. Painted it a Inferno Red with 2 part Pearl. Will post before and after pics tomorrow or the day after. The African Sapele took a very nice soild color after the linseed oil was applied.

GrillN 08-11-2011 03:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some updates. Before and After pics. Lots of bad weather down here, took a little longer than expected to finish. And by no means am I a pro, so take it easy on me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]762[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]759[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]760[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]761[/ATTACH]

GMAN 08-11-2011 12:25 PM

It looks like you did a nice job. Did you shiplap the boards?

Orangetxguy 08-11-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 501419)
It looks like you did a nice job. Did you shiplap the boards?

Agreed! You did as good as most trailer repair shops! Looks good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Now....Let us know in six months how the boards are holding up!!

GrillN 08-11-2011 02:17 PM

Thanks guys. No i didn't ship lap. Next deck that I do will be shiplaped and bullnosed.
If you notice, the top deck the sides on the bottom are smooth and the middle of the bottom is rough sawn.

GrillN 08-17-2011 04:24 AM

Guys I've had it with drivers. I'm selling all my trucks. I'm gonna offer my current 2 drivers the trucks that they're using now. I owe them that much. This truck and never used trailer is for sale as of right now(Never used after I finished re-doing it). I will post a classifieds ad in a few minutes.

GMAN 08-17-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillN (Post 501768)
Guys I've had it with drivers. I'm selling all my trucks. I'm gonna offer my current 2 drivers the trucks that they're using now. I owe them that much. This truck and never used trailer is for sale as of right now(Never used after I finished re-doing it). I will post a classifieds ad in a few minutes.

I know a number of owners who have gotten tired of dealing with drivers and sold their equipment. Some will keep one to drive themselves. If you get good drivers things can be good, but there are too many who can cost you a lot of hassle and money.

GrillN 08-17-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 501787)
I know a number of owners who have gotten tired of dealing with drivers and sold their equipment. Some will keep one to drive themselves. If you get good drivers things can be good, but there are too many who can cost you a lot of hassle and money.

Completely Agree!

Orangetxguy 08-17-2011 04:20 PM

It isn't always the driver who is less than honorable in a work situation. Sometimes it is the employer who is at fault. This is one of those 50/50.....six of one....half a dozen the other quandaries.

GrillN 08-17-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 501806)
It isn't always the driver who is less than honorable in a work situation. Sometimes it is the employer who is at fault. This is one of those 50/50.....six of one....half a dozen the other quandaries.

I had 4 drivers with me for over 8 years straight, all at the same time. 2 of them got off the trucks cause they saved up enough money to buy their own rigs and are now leased on to me. The other 2 are still driving my trucks and now I will give them the option to buy the rigs from me. So to break it down in a form that the most uneducated person can understand; all 4 drivers are still with me.

Orangetxguy since you are a senior board member on here, I say this with respect. Sometimes its better to keep your opinions to yourself, it makes you look wiser.:thumbsup: