Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   finding my own backhauls (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/41020-finding-my-own-backhauls.html)

Big Guy 03-06-2011 01:11 AM

finding my own backhauls

Can anyone give me suggestions on the smartest way to handle getting my own backhauls- when the company that I work for keeps me deadheading? I am new and am trying to make having bought my box truck worthwhile .

rank 03-06-2011 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Big Guy:
the company that I work for.......

You can ask them, but I doubt if they will let you book your own loads as an employee of theirs. Furthermore, most any broker that you book a load through will ask for your MC number (which you don't have because you are running under your bosses authority it sounds like). They will also ask you to fax them things like proof of insurance with the broker named on the policy....you can't have the broker added to the policy because it's your bosses policy. And they will probably make the check out in your bosses name. In order to get on a half decent load board like DAT you will need to provide MC number again and go through a credit check.

Big Guy 03-06-2011 04:09 AM

I have my own truck, authority MC #etc. I am new @ this and working with a courier company that , always has and continues to keeps me chasing the elusive 'backhaul'. I am really wondering if trying to find my own backhauls (on the load boards) would be a smart move. Also, I was drawn to this courier company because of the weekly pay promises. Most of the loads are not worth taking. The box truck I have would often cause me to have to spend too much on fuel to make much of a profit.

Orangetxguy 03-06-2011 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Guy:
I have my own truck, authority MC #etc. I am new @ this and working with a courier company that , always has and continues to keeps me chasing the elusive 'backhaul'. I am really wondering if trying to find my own backhauls (on the load boards) would be a smart move. Also, I was drawn to this courier company because of the weekly pay promises. Most of the loads are not worth taking. The box truck I have would often cause me to have to spend too much on fuel to make much of a profit.

What style "Box truck" do you have? The "hotshot" variety with a steer axle, a "tag" axle and a drive axle....with maybe a holland landing gear under the back of the box for stability while a lift or electric pallet jack is in the box?? Maybe an older out of date unit that doesn't qualify with Panther ii or Fedex Custom anymore?

Big Guy 03-06-2011 12:36 PM

It's a starter truck...nothing fancy...26ft manual box. Incidentally, the company that i hooked up with, stressed their need for drivers with this type of truck. it costs so much to fuel it, I have to pass on quite a few of the load. Although they talk a good 'backhaul' game, I've gotten 1 from them - in 3 mths. I've only been driving a bit over 3 months. I just gotta come up with a way to make it a worthwhile venture. It'll be a month, or so before I can take a stab @ factoring companies. Til then...I'm trying to stay afloat

Steel Horse Cowboy 03-06-2011 03:32 PM

Not sure what you mean by "it costs so much to fuel it, I have to pass on quite a few of the load." Any load you pull should cover fuel costs and have a profit too!

Just like a big truck, it costs money to make money. I am guessing you don't have a fuel card or any way to get a pay advance at all before the loads? Is that the problem or are they paying VERY little? Not sure where you run, what you haul and so on.... that info will help us greatly. If you are just running local stuff, or say a overnight run from NY to PA or Chicago to St. Louis? Just a little more info about the job at hand and I'm sure someone can help you out a bit more.

Big Guy 03-06-2011 05:41 PM

I've only been driving for 3 months and have a limit of a 300 mile radius. the loads have consisted of steel to arms factories, canteen to prisons, CAT scan machine, skids of boxes etc. I have the fuel $ to pay in advance, it's just that a paying load from st louis , going to chicago or kansas city, that does not have a backhaul paying load could, arguably, could end up a $600 load that $300(more now that diesel fuel is 3.90 p/gal) of which will be used to fuel - not to mention the cost of the fuel while in the chicago region. Then, the company (I feel) is treating me like the red-haired stepchild, because I pass on so many of the loads. Then, I have to pass on the local loads (running 3-4 loads that will amt up to $200 or so. I would be ridiculous to go thru all of that to tote 2-3 skids around town (in this gas guzzler). I'll qualify to connect with a factoring company w/in a month or so. Until then...I'm barely staying afloat. Any tips on making the best of the load boards. I've never used them but I have to come up with something else. Hey, how should I gauge how much to charge a driver driving under my authority...?...if they are driving my truck or another leased trucks

LBF 03-06-2011 07:48 PM

Big Guy, if you think you have trouble now, the factoring company isn't going to help. You'll end up with less money sooner. Stay away from that.

Am I reading this right? You'd have $200 a day left over, hanging around local, but you'd get what was left over from $600 by going to Chicago? That's $1 a mile round trip... in a box truck.

With a backhaul, there's money to made in that scenario. Deadheading back isn't so good.
You need to figure out how little you can accept going back, and then go shopping for freight.

Yes, guys who turn down freight aren't the dispatcher's best friend...

Big Guy 03-06-2011 08:05 PM

I'm getting 70% now and have found a factoring company that promises 80% - that would be more that I get now and, I'm sure that they would probably put forth more effort to get me some backhauls. Whatcha think? and...the $200 or so is before I run all over town burning gas, eating etc. Not to mention the over for both my house and the trucking company. Hey, got an idea about how you determine what to charge someone for driving under my authority? There would be different rates - depending on whether or not they use my or a leased truck - right

moe 03-06-2011 08:10 PM

Partail

I just checked and 'Internet truck stop' has 100 partials listed within a 50 mile radius of Chicago. You might try subscribing to a load board or at least take one up on a free 30 day trial and see if that might help.