Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Which 4 Truck Make and Models Would You Suggest? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/40852-4-truck-make-models-would-you-suggest.html)

Papa Rick 01-27-2011 02:05 PM

Which 4 Truck Make and Models Would You Suggest?

Looking at Doing FB work, and was wondering which 4 Truck Models and Make would be the Best for this. I have a KW Daycab right now, and have really liked the quality of KW, but am not partial to any particular model or make.

Thought might need to stick with a 05 or 06 before they came out with the emission standards that messed everything up.

Also would like to get advice and suggestions on Engine make and hp, trans gear and axle ratio.

Thought about KW T600, International (not sure which model)

I don't want to just limit myself to just FB as I may do some van hauling later in the future as I get more experienced doing this.

Been driving since 98 0/0 since 06, and looking for advice and suggestions on this.

Be Kind TO One Another, for We Reap What We Sow.

Mackman 01-27-2011 03:10 PM

2007 MACK CHN613 RAWHIDE Conventional Truck w/ Sleeper For Sale At TruckPaper.com

2007 MACK CHN613 RAWHIDE Conventional Truck w/ Sleeper For Sale At TruckPaper.com

enuff said lol

Steel Horse Cowboy 01-27-2011 03:46 PM

I'm partial to Peterbilt style and looks, but like the KW interior a little more. My FLD is the best truck I have ever owned but I wouldn't buy a freightliner lol.

As for specs, I'd say a 500hp motor is plenty. Keep the sleeper to a midroof that way u can get into some factories better, cuz u can always add a tail to the top if u go van. 13spd and 3.55 rears. I know of the perfect truck for you. Saw it at the KW dealer in Texas yesterday. If I can find a link I'll post it for ya

tracer 01-28-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy (Post 492830)
I'm partial to Peterbilt style and looks, but like the KW interior a little more. My FLD is the best truck I have ever owned but I wouldn't buy a freightliner lol.

As for specs, I'd say a 500hp motor is plenty. Keep the sleeper to a midroof that way u can get into some factories better, cuz u can always add a tail to the top if u go van. 13spd and 3.55 rears. I know of the perfect truck for you. Saw it at the KW dealer in Texas yesterday. If I can find a link I'll post it for ya

International started outselling Freightliner after they brought their ProStar model to the market. I think it's a good truck.

firebird_1252 01-28-2011 02:16 AM

i really like the t800. i'd option it: ISX 500, 3.42 rears 13spd od. 72" studio sleeper ag400

next would be a SHORT nose 379. same motor and trans as above. 63" high rise sleeper ultra cab. i always thought hoods dont get good fuel milage.. my friend has a long nose, 6nz 550 cat 18speed double od, 3.36 rears getting 6.1 mpg doing 65-70

after that would be a 9400 international, high rise sleeper, same motor and trans as above..

after that would be a 670 volvo.. same drive train.

i'd say 770 (780?) but i can not stand the front axle air ride.

Mackman 01-28-2011 03:06 AM

i guess im the loner with my Macks lol

mitchno1 01-28-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 492849)
i guess im the loner with my Macks lol

yep mackman you mainly alone in that respect but there is ONE mack supporter in New Zealand i now of but that all haha

GMAN 01-28-2011 11:21 PM

If you want to pull flats you need to think about weight. I would opt for a mid-roof. They have plenty of head room without all the wasted height of a studio. With a flat, all that extra height only means that you can haul less weight. I prefer the larger sleepers. I have 72" mid-roofs.

I like the ride of a Volvo, but they tend to be a little heavy for flats when you get the larger sleeper. I would go with an International 9400, 9400i or perhaps a Prostar, T600 or T800 KW or maybe a Freightliner.

I would go with gearing around 355. Those are strong enough to pull well and decent enough to give fairly good fuel economy. CAT power. Depending on where you run, 425hp to 475hp is all you really need. In fact, unless you plan on running a lot of mountains, a 400hp engine will do just fine. A 10 speed works very well. A 13 speed is nice, but not necessary.

BoyNextDoor 01-29-2011 06:17 PM

I just got a VNL780, and let me tell you. A little heavy at 20k lbs on its own with 250 tanks, but the quality of life, not getting as tired because it's more comfortable, well worth it. I've seen people drive these and pull skateboards. I definitely don't regret stepping up from my century. avarage out about 6.3-6.5 woth the VED12 465, and automatic tranny @ 62MPH, heavy. mostly north east driving. not too shabby for having two EGR valves lol

firebird_1252 01-30-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoyNextDoor (Post 492928)
I just got a VNL780, and let me tell you. A little heavy at 20k lbs on its own with 250 tanks, but the quality of life, not getting as tired because it's more comfortable, well worth it. I've seen people drive these and pull skateboards. I definitely don't regret stepping up from my century. avarage out about 6.3-6.5 woth the VED12 465, and automatic tranny @ 62MPH, heavy. mostly north east driving. not too shabby for having two EGR valves lol

wow never knew they were that heavy. my boss had w900's with 86" studio sleepers and cats.. think they weighed 21k.

do you like the front airride? sorry to hijack the thread