Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Cheapest Diesel Gas Prices (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/40797-cheapest-diesel-gas-prices.html)

TruckingGuy 01-07-2011 10:58 PM

Cheapest Diesel Gas Prices

Have you found the best prices on diesel fuel in your town or state? Share with this community where the cheapest location is! Every penny counts....:bow:

Steel Horse Cowboy 01-07-2011 11:02 PM

Indiana is always cheap, but we have a split-rate tax here so it actually isn't as cheap as it seems. I fuel in Ganado, TX where it is always the cheapest in the state... usually by .10cpg

TruckingGuy 01-07-2011 11:11 PM

Great!! Thanks for the update. I want to keep track of the list and post more info soon..

Copperhead 01-11-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy (Post 492046)
Indiana is always cheap, but we have a split-rate tax here so it actually isn't as cheap as it seems. I fuel in Ganado, TX where it is always the cheapest in the state... usually by .10cpg

Actually, once the state tax is figured out of the price, Illinois usually beats Indiana every day of the week even though you couldn't tell from the pump price. Since state fuel tax is only paid on fuel you USE in a particular state, and not on all the fuel you buy there, the best price can only be figured on the pump price minus the state fuel tax. If you only go by pump price, you will get ripped off most of the time. Not always, but most times.

In my case, I also have to check and see what discounts are offered thru the carrier I am leased to. For instance, Quiktrip fuel stop on NE 14th st exit on I80/35 in Des Moines is anywhere from .2 to .5 a gallon cheaper at the pump than all the other fuel stops in the Des Moines area. But I get no discount there whereas I get from .10 to .20 off the cash pump price at the other locations.

Copperhead 01-11-2011 07:23 AM

Interesting how Alaska (AK) is an option in the poll question. Does everyone run up there on a weekly basis? LOL

chain binder 01-11-2011 02:13 PM

I used to run to Alaska because the company I drove for had terminals there.Trust me,nothing is cheap up there.We had fuel at the terminals so that helped.

xcarsalesman 01-11-2011 03:25 PM

North Carolina...

Steel Horse Cowboy 01-11-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 492181)
Actually, once the state tax is figured out of the price, Illinois usually beats Indiana every day of the week even though you couldn't tell from the pump price. Since state fuel tax is only paid on fuel you USE in a particular state, and not on all the fuel you buy there, the best price can only be figured on the pump price minus the state fuel tax. If you only go by pump price, you will get ripped off most of the time. Not always, but most times.

In my case, I also have to check and see what discounts are offered thru the carrier I am leased to. For instance, Quiktrip fuel stop on NE 14th st exit on I80/35 in Des Moines is anywhere from .2 to .5 a gallon cheaper at the pump than all the other fuel stops in the Des Moines area. But I get no discount there whereas I get from .10 to .20 off the cash pump price at the other locations.

Hence why i said Indiana is always cheap AT THE PUMP... but the split rate tax screws you over. I always fill up in IL and then again in TX to get back. I have not paid a quaterly fuel tax in 2 years and I always end the year with a credit ;)

Steel Horse Cowboy 01-11-2011 03:36 PM

And as for your list truckinGuy, AR would be the cheapest on there..... but there are MANY MANY cheaper ones. All depends on where you run. Like per-say if you lived in OR and didnt leave the state, it would be the cheaperst due to the tax rate, but if you do ANy traveling then you need current pump prices and a state tax-rate chart to figure it out.