Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Stereotyping Truck Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/40334-stereotyping-truck-drivers.html)

Aufgeblassen 08-30-2010 12:11 PM

Stereotyping Truck Drivers

Typical stereotypes include:

* they are heavy smokers

* they drink lots of coffee

* they barely made it out of high school (or didn't graduate)

Fact or fiction?

Personally, I'm far from the stereotypes; I've never smoked, never drank coffee, and am a college graduate. So therefore I consider most other drivers inferior to me! :lol::lol::lol:

GMAN 08-30-2010 12:46 PM

Fiction.

I don't smoke, but I do think that we have a disproportionate number of smokers in this profession. Most are coffee drinkers. While many may not have graduated or barely graduated high school in years past, that is no longer necessarily the case. I have met many who have either attended or graduated from college, some with advanced degrees. Judging from some of the behaviors that I have witnessed from drivers, it is difficult to understand how some made it out of kindergarten. On the other hand, I have met some really decent people over the years. I think that I have met more good people than scumbags.

BanditsCousin 08-30-2010 05:05 PM

Stereotyping o/o's, perhaps?

no_worries 08-31-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen (Post 485987)
Typical stereotypes include:

* they are heavy smokers

* they drink lots of coffee

* they barely made it out of high school (or didn't graduate)

Fact or fiction?

You forgot so starved for human interaction that they never shut up (or stop typing)...definitely fact.

Aufgeblassen 09-02-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries (Post 486063)
You forgot so starved for human interaction that they never shut up (or stop typing)...definitely fact.

NOT me!!! I virtually NEVER have the CB radio on. I ONLY use it for docks where you contact receiving/shipping on a certain channel. Until recently, I had a 200 minute a month cellular plan, and got by with it just fine, even w/o having QualComm in my truck!

Maniac 09-02-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries (Post 486063)

Nice try. however it went right past...................LOL

no_worries 09-03-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 486172)
Nice try. however it went right past...................LOL

Where's the damned "shocked" icon?

DaveP 09-04-2010 02:45 AM

I am no longer simply a coffee drinker. I am, in fact, a coffee connoisseur....