Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   whats the going rates... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/40075-whats-going-rates.html)

firebird_1252 06-22-2010 04:56 PM

whats the going rates...

not from a broker but direct? i found a company that has a lot of work and no house company.. so my question is.. whats the going rates? i'm thinking to make any money with no rounder $2.75-$2.80 pm. any thoughts?

chris1 06-22-2010 05:19 PM

Depends on where it's shipping from,where to,how many miles,days,flat,van,reefer,ect.
1000-1400 miles decent rate,2-300 miles pretty low rate.

firebird_1252 06-22-2010 05:44 PM

chris, everything is in south florida. i'm looking to do south florida to miami. i really do not want to be out overnight and want to be dedicated to this company. unfortintaly a back haul i dont think is wise being i'm trying to get daily work out of them and cant afford the risk of being held up. jacksonville is about 310 miles. so i'd be deadheading back 310 miles. i figure $300-$400 a day in fuel. the truck i'm looking at is real cheap so payments are low.

any other advice?

chris1 06-22-2010 05:58 PM

If your talking a 300 mile load for 2.75 and deadheading back 300 miles 5x week you only gross 2-2200.00 a week after fuel. I wouldn't run any kind of truck for that low of money. If that's the best rate they will give,find someone else.

firebird_1252 06-22-2010 06:03 PM

what would you say is a good decent rate?

chris1 06-22-2010 06:29 PM

Most likely they can get it done for that rate. The rate may be okay for someone moving from point A to B, certainly not enough for what you're talking about. If you only get 2200.00 week after fuel doesn't leave much after your rolling cost,insurance,truck ect. Driving for someone else at 7-800.00 a week with benefits is higher than that.

firebird_1252 06-22-2010 06:45 PM

wish i could find something that paid that and home every night.. hell i used to make that before pay cuts..

GMAN 06-22-2010 09:34 PM

I would try to get at least $1.50-2.00/mile for ALL miles unless I could find something to get me back to the load.

firebird_1252 06-23-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 482754)
I would try to get at least $1.50-2.00/mile for ALL miles unless I could find something to get me back to the load.

i highly doubt they'll go for that gman. i'm worried about the backhaul and being held up. however, i think they pull supplies out of where i'd like to go so it might work out.

any advice from anyone?

the truck i'm looking at seems like a great deal 94 volvo 3406e, 3.36 gears
for a trailer as much as i want an airride trailer i can get an old knight express trailer for around 5k

GMAN 06-23-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 482763)
i highly doubt they'll go for that gman. i'm worried about the backhaul and being held up. however, i think they pull supplies out of where i'd like to go so it might work out.

any advice from anyone?

the truck i'm looking at seems like a great deal 94 volvo 3406e, 3.36 gears
for a trailer as much as i want an airride trailer i can get an old knight express trailer for around 5k

They may not be willing to go that high, but unless you can find a way to haul their loads at a profit it won't work anyway. I would suggest you consider looking at a couple of area to see if you can line something up. I would look at Tampa and Jacksonville. If you are coming out of Miami then you might work something out where you can have regular or semi regular runs within that triangle. That is what some people have done who live down there.

rank 06-23-2010 04:14 AM

I love shippers. They expect you to do it for $1.50 a mile because Joe Blow off Get Loaded.com quoted that rate for one truckload so you should be able to get a back haul and match it.

In the next breath they want you back in their yard asap for another shipment out. How are you supposed to PU and Del that backhaul? They can't have it both ways. They either want dedicated trucks at their disposal or they want cheap rates.

chris1 06-23-2010 10:31 AM

What you descibe isn't practical for one truck. Two trucks alternating with the same rate on the return is barely there.
Unless a shipper is requesting the same driver on each load there is no reason for them to pay a premium for your lack of truck availability. If you can't do it by yourself get more trucks.

firebird_1252 06-23-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank (Post 482772)
I love shippers. They expect you to do it for $1.50 a mile because Joe Blow off Get Loaded.com quoted that rate for one truckload so you should be able to get a back haul and match it.

In the next breath they want you back in their yard asap for another shipment out. How are you supposed to PU and Del that backhaul? They can't have it both ways. They either want dedicated trucks at their disposal or they want cheap rates.

i could not agree more.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris1 (Post 482783)
What you descibe isn't practical for one truck. Two trucks alternating with the same rate on the return is barely there.
Unless a shipper is requesting the same driver on each load there is no reason for them to pay a premium for your lack of truck availability. If you can't do it by yourself get more trucks.

if its not practical.. then its not. i'm doing my research before i jump in.

well on to plan b... if i can figure what plan b is..

GMAN 06-24-2010 12:28 AM

No need to give up just yet. You need to know how many loads they have each week, how many trucks they are currently using and what they are paying their present carriers. You then need to decide whether it is something that will work for you. I doubt that they would be willing to pay a full rate for the deadhead back, but you never know. It never hurts to ask. I would offer a bit of caution about one thing. You NEVER want to put all of your eggs in one basket. If you do work something out with this shipper and buy a truck you need to be prepared if something happens to the shipper. Either the shipper cuts back on loads or another carrier or broker comes in and offers to handle all the loads and cut you out. You always need to prepare for the worst scenario.

If it were me I would try to work something out on both ends or do something like the triangle as I suggested previously. If you rely totally on a single account and something happens you are out of business unless you have something to replace it. It may not be so easy to replace a shipper in south Florida. In any case, keep us posted. Good luck.

firebird_1252 06-25-2010 12:53 AM

gman. your a wise man with great advice!

i was thinking the same thing about both ways. i know they do take in a lot of supplies. it would be great if i can do a drop and hook type thing. pick up the load, unload pick up some supplies for them and leave it at their place but they only have 2 bays. i will look in to it though. the triangle thing is something i did not think about. would be a bit rough being they're away from 595. but its def. something to think about. i have to watch my hours. there are scales poping up all over here in south florida! i'm feeling a bit under the weather so i'll make a call some time next week. again.. thank you for the advice!

GMAN 06-25-2010 01:00 PM

That is very kind of you to say, firebird. Any knowledge that I have gained has come from many years of experience. Sometimes you need to think outside the box. You need to be prepared to make adjustments in your business plan as economic or market conditions dictate. I would always try to have a contingency plan. It is better to prepare for the worst and be disappointed than prepare for the best and be wrong.

I know what you mean about the scales in Florida. They have fuel checks and scales all over the place. Someone mentioned to me that they recently reopened an old scale south of I-10 that had been closed for some time. I think it has something to do with the produce haulers. They tend to know the back roads and ways around the scales. I took a back road from Georgia to Florida a few months ago. There wasn't a scale noted on my Rand McNally and all of a sudden there it was, right in front of me. In reality, it was actually a fuel check, but I thought it was a new scale. From where I was in Georgia it was better to go that road than the interstate to get to my destination. I didn't expect to see that check point out in the middle of nowhere on a 2 lane road. It works both sides of the road. I think they only check your IFTA stickers, but these days who knows?! It would not be a big deal to add a scale. I can't imagine them having that much truck traffic along that road.

firebird_1252 06-25-2010 01:22 PM

my family has been in the business going on well.. 3 generations. but my dad leases out. he does real well all fuel and tolls paid for. we're just now wanting to get our own accounts due to people coming in willing to work for almost nothing.

gman, i do not run up to i10. i know on 95 though the new one around mm 94ish on the north bound side has been midevil. they are building another southbound but i'm starting to wonder about that.. real weird design. DOT has been all over pulling almost anything on wheels over, cops really cracking down on speeding. all i can say is thank god my trailer says US. MAIL on it.

GMAN 06-26-2010 12:07 PM

Florida used to not bother you much. Like many other states, they are likely broke and looking for any way to raise revenue. Truckers are a good target. Most of them won't bother you much if you take care of business and don't give them a reason to check too close. I don't mind the inspections too much other than the loss of time. You can easily lose 30 minutes to an hour, even if things move smoothly.:(

firebird_1252 06-27-2010 12:29 AM

well i just found out today that the place i would like to do business with is using fed ex ground.. doubt i can compete with their rates.

GMAN 06-27-2010 11:30 AM

I don't know what FedEx ground charges, but they are not cheap when it comes to their regular rates. You might still work something out with the shipper, especially if they thought you could be a dedicated truck. If you can't work something out with the shipper direct then you might work something out with FedEx ground. There may also be other shippers whom you could haul their freight or perhaps some brokers who could keep you busy if you want to stay close to home. I think you will just need to do a little more leg work to find what you want. There is another thing you might consider doing. You might be able to haul containers back and forth from the different ports in south Florida or from the port to the shipper. Rates are likely low, but it could keep you busy. Just a thought.

heavyhaulerss 06-27-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris1 (Post 482748)
If your talking a 300 mile load for 2.75 and deadheading back 300 miles 5x week you only gross 2-2200.00 a week after fuel. I wouldn't run any kind of truck for that low of money. If that's the best rate they will give,find someone else.

$2200 a week after fuel is not a bad week. i.m.o. this can be very profitable.

heavyhaulerss 06-27-2010 08:51 PM

at my m.p.g. I would get $2,625 to the truck after fuel. 600 miles can be done in one long day. $525.00 a day every day after fuel, to me is good money especiallt to start, while on this run he could look for reloads instead of deadheading. I have always worked for less than what I wanted when I started any type of work. I too always had other folks tell they make 3-4 times more & how they would not work for what I work for. though ther is no shame in honest work. hauling for too low a price is bad for all truckers. I just don't think this senario fits that catagory. not all can get $5.00 a mile. I think only folks like g.m. union workers & union steel workers would tell me that they would not work for such a low pay as they got 73.00 an hour. but people like me will do an honest day's work for a decent wage & $2200 for a week is a decent wage. if we think not we will be replaced by folks who do think it is. it is just not that bad a deal. it is more, what you do with your earnings, than how much you earn. I am proof of that. my advise as far as the run goes, it is worth it in more ways than just what it pay's. you will learn so much just by doing it . thing;s youlls learn along the way. it is very true to try & get a plan b if this does not work out. but if you demand top dollar when you first start, you will never get past the start line. learning that comes from experience is worth something too, dont just count on the money.

flatbedder 06-27-2010 10:11 PM

Those union jobs sure pay well but how many of them are working these days??

Mackman 06-27-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbedder (Post 482941)

Come to philly. You will see alot of them.

flatbedder 06-28-2010 02:51 AM

I live in the general area of Chicago and just about everybody I know that has a union job of any type is still layed off. Be it construction or Chrysler not a whole lot shaking around here. They were awful happy when there was work, now the unemployment is running out and theyre getting worried.

heavyhaulerss 06-28-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbedder (Post 482941)

Just my point.

heavyhaulerss 06-28-2010 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbedder (Post 482969)
I live in the general area of Chicago and just about everybody I know that has a union job of any type is still layed off. Be it construction or Chrysler not a whole lot shaking around here. They were awful happy when there was work, now the unemployment is running out and theyre getting worried.

I lived in the heart of Chicago for 25 years. born & raised there. my brother is a high member of the teamsters. in union towns you have to make great money just to afford the basics. I have done better moving south & started a 9 to 5 at just above min wage at the time, than trying to keep up with the beaurocracy in Chicago. some folks there actually brag about how much taxe's & other fee's they pay. weird.

chris1 06-28-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss (Post 482933)
$2200 a week after fuel is not a bad week. i.m.o. this can be very profitable.

So you are saying 2200.00 after fuel is good for 3000 miles?

heavyhaulerss 06-28-2010 02:14 PM

it's a start. I dont think it is bad, considering the loaded miles. per mile, it does not look good, but the bottom line is $2200 after fuel. he has a good start & can learn quick how to navigate this business. if your doing so well as to never consider working for the figures given, I wish you continued success. I just dont see myself telling another person $400.00 -$500.00 a day is a low wage I would not work for. I know all the related cost of operating a truck, & yeah he may have to have some good luck too. I guess I come at it from a different perpective. everyone told me I would fail, when I made a move from the high paying city jobs of chi-town & moved & took a $5.15 an hour job. but I made it & made it well. firebird_1252 is probably enthusiastic about this new business venture. I think it is very do able & want to encourage him to be the best he can be. he CAN make it. weather he will make it depends on more than just this senario. I think he is on the right track. if you think not, I am glad you are honest about your opinion.

chris1 06-28-2010 02:31 PM

I guess everyone has their own view. I think 1.40 for all miles is very low. Take off a trailer and it's a .90/mile+fsc carrier.

firebird_1252 06-28-2010 02:33 PM

heavyhaulerss, i thank you for the kind words and honesty. i do ok where i am now. i'm a company driver, no headaches, no payments but also standing stagnant. my boss is great, my work is steady, home every night. but.. i also have NO life whatso ever. do i think i'd have more of a life doing the 600 miles a day? yes. i've done it before. i could prob. do better on that number by buying a truck that is better on fuel. but it is a no win situation. the trucks i'm looking at that are better on fuel are also 10k more then the truck i'm looking at now. of course the other trucks are better looking but from my stand point.. as long as it passes inspection i can careless how it looks. if you think a shiny truck with a bunch of lights and chrome makes you king trucker.. your a moron. it does not make you a dime more then the older truck with some blemishes.

probably shouldnt post while in a bad mood...

heavyhaulerss 06-28-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 482952)
Come to philly. You will see alot of them.

cit & state Union jobs provided by the government, financed by tax payers does not count.

heavyhaulerss 06-29-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 482984)
heavyhaulerss, i thank you for the kind words and honesty. i do ok where i am now. i'm a company driver, no headaches, no payments but also standing stagnant. my boss is great, my work is steady, home every night. but.. i also have NO life whatso ever. do i think i'd have more of a life doing the 600 miles a day? yes. i've done it before. i could prob. do better on that number by buying a truck that is better on fuel. but it is a no win situation. the trucks i'm looking at that are better on fuel are also 10k more then the truck i'm looking at now. of course the other trucks are better looking but from my stand point.. as long as it passes inspection i can careless how it looks. if you think a shiny truck with a bunch of lights and chrome makes you king trucker.. your a moron. it does not make you a dime more then the older truck with some blemishes.

hey Firebird.. try looking up my other few post's about how I got into trucking. I dont how to find post, without going thru every one. I have not learned how to navigate this sight well enough yet. I started with a lot less going for me than you. YOU CAN make this work. if I can be of any help, in any way let me know. You ARE A PRODUCER, AN ACHEIVER, a worker who is not lazy waiting for some one to carry you thru your life. take your time deciding & make it work. make it work! my best to you.

firebird_1252 06-29-2010 03:02 PM

heavyhaulerss, again i do thank you for the all the help and kind words! i might take you up on the offer if nothing pans out. its strange.. it seems opportunities are coming up now. going to talk to my current boss now hope i can work something out. just pay insurance and truck payment. all fuel paid for his trailers, all drop and hook or unload rolling stock. :clap:

YerDaddy 07-08-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 482984)

How you expect to have a life doing 3000 mi/wk? Weekends you'll be working on truck.

And there's something to be said for lights and chrome. The value of beauty is debatable but IMHO it definitely has an effect on pride and mood when it comes to trucks. I'd be one mean, apathetic SOB if I drove an ugly aero truck.

A lot of guys come to the internet seeking info to get into the trucking business and want to consider themselves "businessmen" and poo-poo long hoods, chrome and such since it doesn't add to revenue. But these "businessmen" still have trouble with 4th grade level math. Would a wise "businessman" even enter an industry where the profit margin is in the low single digits and most newcomers fail in the first year and companies are cutting each others' throats to haul freight for no profit?

I'd bid that company $900/load plus FSC (@5mpg & 1.05/gal. one way), three loads a week.

firebird_1252 07-09-2010 01:41 AM

i've been putting off replying to this for a while now.

first... not a new comer to the business. my family has been in it since WW2.

second: how will i have a life? easy.. very easy. drive up unload reload come back unload. 10-14 hour day. i did it before when i was a company driver for another company...

third: the lights thing.. thats all in prefrence.

fourth: i always have something on the back burner. i am also tryign to get in O/O with my boss. about 10k a month clear.. some might not think its a lot.. but its clean, light 12 hour day work.

i like to get other peoples opinions before i jump in head first. if nothing pans out i stay a company driver where i am now..

RostyC 07-10-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Weekends you'll be working on truck.
Agree

My buddies now and then say "We never see you anymore"
I say"Come to the house and look under the truck"
:D

solo379 07-10-2010 08:24 PM

Well, times has changed, i use to average 11-12 grand a month after operating expenses(fuel, tolls), running 9-11,000 miles a month, puling company trailer. This days, i'm happy to make 8-9 grand, running 8-9,000 miles. $2,200 after fuel, is not a bad money this days, but if you have to run 3,000 miles to make it, here is a catch, "tear and wear" on a truck, could eat up a bigger portion of it, than you'd expect.