Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Steer tires as all-position? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/39866-steer-tires-all-position.html)

tracer 04-28-2010 11:23 PM

Fuel efficient tires?

I read one of the older threads, called "tires" and I think "musicman" wrote how he used Yokohama steers as all-position tires.. Does anyone else have experience with this? Both my drives and steers need to be replaced soon and I'm wondering maybe I should try something original in order to improve the fuel mileage :) I'm in Ontario, Canada so I mostly run through North-East USA: PA, OH, IN, NY, occasionally VA and WV ...

Maniac 04-29-2010 12:40 AM

You will get better fuel mileage, but you won't get the miles out of the tires, plus they won't be as good in the snow, especially when they get worn past half way

firebird_1252 04-29-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 479817)
You will get better fuel mileage, but you won't get the miles out of the tires, plus they won't be as good in the snow, especially when they get worn past half way

true.. truck also wont handle right.

Windwalker 04-29-2010 01:48 AM

I don't know about the fuel economy, or the handling. But, I do know that Schneider used to use something like that on all positions to reduce tire noise on the highway for a while. (Or at least, that is what I was told as the reason for that.) I can't say they were all steer tires, but they sure looked it. That was also about the time you'd see their trucks jackknifed and off the road in winter. Myself, I'd rather put up with the noise.

tracer 04-29-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 479824)
That was also about the time you'd see their trucks jackknifed and off the road in winter.

Roger that :)

tracer 04-29-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 479817)

I was talking to our tire guy in the yard and he looked at my tires and said the steers need to be replaced soon, but the drives should last "till winter at least". All tires were installed new at the same time - January 2008 and I probably have 250,000 miles on them now. Steers: Michelin XZA3 275/80R22.5s, Drives: Yokohama TY517 295/75R22.5.

The tire guy said if I was looking for fuel mileage he can put on a Hankook drive tire that has little rolling resistance and is SmartWay verified.

I checked the Yokohama site and now they have this new "revolutionary 703ZL tire" that seems to be pretty good. Luckily now I don't have to make the tire choice till winter.

allan5oh 04-29-2010 04:52 PM

Only 250,000 miles on your drives? That's pathetic. That's good for steers, and about what I get out of them.

tracer 04-29-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 479843)
Only 250,000 miles on your drives? That's pathetic. That's good for steers, and about what I get out of them.

alan, you misread my post: the drives have 250,000 miles and they're still good till winter. i'm not changing them. the steers are almost done, so they are kaputt at 250K miles - just like yours.

heavyhaulerss 04-30-2010 01:39 PM

I had hywy tread tires on my drives & got 1 m.p.g more than on my kelly kda lugs. the lugs lasted longer, but the steers more than paid for themselves in fuel saving. I went into MI in the last snow storm last year & had no problem with traction. I got a great deal on my kelly's so I have them on now. they last 300,000 thou miles, but I still regret not putting on the steers. paid 301.00 per tire on the kelly's $2,408.00 total, mount dismount, f.e.t. e.t.c. this was over a year ago. a local shop had over stock & truck tire sales was so slow, he sold them to me below his cost. I will definately go back to hywy drives. also once a lug starts to waer uneven , you will get a bounce like crazy. steers have a lot better chance of wearing even.

tracer 04-30-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss (Post 479887)
I had hywy tread tires on my drives & got 1 m.p.g more than on my kelly kda lugs. the lugs lasted longer, but the steers more than paid for themselves in fuel saving. I went into MI in the last snow storm last year & had no problem with traction. I got a great deal on my kelly's so I have them on now. they last 300,000 thou miles, but I still regret not putting on the steers. paid 301.00 per tire on the kelly's $2,408.00 total, mount dismount, f.e.t. e.t.c. this was over a year ago. a local shop had over stock & truck tire sales was so slow, he sold them to me below his cost. I will definately go back to hywy drives. also once a lug starts to waer uneven , you will get a bounce like crazy. steers have a lot better chance of wearing even.

Are you saying you had STEER tires on the drives? What make and model?