Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   buying truck and Annual DOT Inspection (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/39389-buying-truck-annual-dot-inspection.html)

truckmetal13 01-19-2010 09:10 PM

buying truck and Annual DOT Inspection

My question is if i buy truck from dealer do they need to give my Annual DOT Inspection or i have to do it on my own ?

Red Clay Rambler 01-20-2010 03:29 PM

A dealer might include a DOT inspection with your purchase if they have their own shop. It would be something that you could negotiate as part of the deal if it's not already included. Even if they do it, some companies will make you have another one done at a shop of their choice when you lease on with them, assuming you would be leasing to a company.

truckmetal13 01-20-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler (Post 473138)
A dealer might include a DOT inspection with your purchase if they have their own shop. It would be something that you could negotiate as part of the deal if it's not already included. Even if they do it, some companies will make you have another one done at a shop of their choice when you lease on with them, assuming you would be leasing to a company.

Yes i will be leasing to a small company . The truck need have done and they don't care were
Thanks

Fredog 01-20-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckmetal13 (Post 473145)
Yes i will be leasing to a small company . The truck need have done and they don't care were
Thanks

you can do it yourself, buy the form and sticker at a truckstop, be sure you really do it, check everything on the list

Orangetxguy 01-20-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 473146)
you can do it yourself, buy the form and sticker at a truckstop, be sure you really do it, check everything on the list

:D

To do an "Annual" inspection and sign the label...don't you have to have the "Certification" papers from USDOT, making you certified to certify?? :confused: :lol: :lol:

Fredog 01-20-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 473151)

To do an "Annual" inspection and sign the label...don't you have to have the "Certification" papers from USDOT, making you certified to certify?? :confused: :lol: :lol:

I guess not, I have always done mine and have never been questioned about it, got a level 3 in New York on Sunday and he couldnt read my sticker, I gave him the hard copy with my signature as the inspector, he said okay and handed it back

RostyC 01-20-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 473153)
I guess not, I have always done mine and have never been questioned about it, got a level 3 in New York on Sunday and he couldnt read my sticker, I gave him the hard copy with my signature as the inspector, he said okay and handed it back

I didn't know that. I do Marylands required inspection every 25000 miles but I thought as well that the DOT annual had to be from a certified place. I'll do some asking around. There not hard at all to do, hell I can do mine with both eyes closed. :D

Fredog 01-20-2010 07:48 PM

looks like a gray area, I have mechanic experience, But like I said, I have never been questioned

§396.19 Inspector qualifications.] (a) It shall be the motor carrier’s responsibility to ensure that the individual(s) performing an annual inspection under §396.17(d) or (e) is qualified as follows:
(1) Understands the inspection criteria set forth in 49 CFR Part 393 and Appendix G of this subchapter and can identify defective components;
(2) Is knowledgeable of and has mastered the methods, procedures, tools and equipment used when performing an inspection; and
(3) Is capable of performing an inspection by reason of experience, training, or both as follows:
(i) Successfully completed a State or Federal-sponsored training program or has a certificate from a State or Canadian Province which qualifies the person to perform commercial motor vehicle safety inspections, or
(ii) Have a combination of training and/or experience totaling at least 1 year. Such training and/or experience may consist of:
(A) Participation in a truck manufacturer-sponsored training program or similar commercial training program designed to train students in truck operation and maintenance;
(B) Experience as a mechanic or inspector in a motor carrier maintenance program;
(C) Experience as a mechanic or inspector in truck maintenance at a commercial garage, fleet leasing company, or similar facility; or
(D) Experience as a commercial vehicle inspector for a State, Provincial or Federal Government.
(b) Evidence of that individual’s qualifications under this section shall be retained by the motor carrier for the period during which that individual is performing annual motor vehicle inspections for the motor carrier, and for one year thereafter. However, motor carriers do not have to maintain documentation of inspector qualifications for those inspections performed either as part of a State periodic inspection program or at the roadside as part of a random roadside inspection program.

Copperhead 02-14-2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 473151)

I always did the inspections myself when I was working with the family construction business. Never had a problem with the DOT. The company I lease on with does them for me. They take it one step further and require an inspection quarterly by their shop. All done for free. I don't mind the quarterly idea, it helps me catch something I may have missed doing my normal oil changes, lubes, and pretrips on my own. An extra set of eyes inspecting the truck regularly doesn't hurt in my book.

Maniac 02-14-2010 08:57 PM

When I handed mine in to the company, they told me they wouldn't accept it with my name on it as the inspector.

Company policy I guess.

I had my son sign it...............he's a sound engineer...............LOL