Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Is anyone using a Hydrogen Generator? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/38657-anyone-using-hydrogen-generator.html)

skrissel 09-08-2009 03:51 AM

Is anyone using a Hydrogen Generator?

Hello Ya'll,

Just curious if anyone else is using a hydrogen generator on their truck. I have been experimenting one of my trucks for a while. I'm amazed (and excited) about the increase in fuel mileage that I'm getting.

The truck is a 2003 Freightliner Columbia, with a 14L detroit. It has always been a pig on fuel. My quarterly IFTA MPG calculations have been between 4.9 and 5.3. The most recent Hydrogen generator that I have installed is by far the best. For 20k miles I have been getting between 6.25 and 6.95.

I'm about to install my second unit soon. This time it will be on a Cummins. I hope to get the same results.

-scott

heavyhaulerss 09-09-2009 08:12 PM

not sure I understand. you have a generator & it is used while driving your truck? I thought generators were what is used so you can turn off truck engine & run a/c heat e.t.c. without burning much fuel.

skrissel 09-09-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss (Post 461721)
not sure I understand. you have a generator & it is used while driving your truck? I thought generators were what is used so you can turn off truck engine & run a/c heat e.t.c. without burning much fuel.

I'm talking about a HHO Hydrogen generating system that produces hydrogen to burn. It is plummed into the intake. By doing this, it reduces fuel consumption.

If you do a google search, there is tons of info on the technology.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
scott

heavyhaulerss 09-09-2009 09:53 PM

I have read something on this. one sight was several glass jars hooked together. looked something you would see the professor create on Gilligan's island. lol. not sure how long glass jars would last on my bumpy riding truck. A while back.. a year or so a local man was installing some type of hydrogen on 4 wheelers & big trucks. I'm not going to knock it. just scared to try it.

skrissel 09-09-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss (Post 461727)
I have read something on this. one sight was several glass jars hooked together. looked something you would see the professor create on Gilligan's island. lol. not sure how long glass jars would last on my bumpy riding truck. A while back.. a year or so a local man was installing some type of hydrogen on 4 wheelers & big trucks. I'm not going to knock it. just scared to try it.

I have seen the mason jar set-ups. They are interesting looking.

It just a small (14" cube) that holds a few gallons of water. You have to wire it directly to the batteries. It pulls 20-25 amps. Using $2.65 a gal for fuel, a increase to 6mpg from 5mpg will save $11k a year based on 125k miles.

-scott

repete 09-10-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrissel (Post 461729)

It just a small (14" cube) that holds a few gallons of water. You have to wire it directly to the batteries. It pulls 20-25 amps. Using $2.65 a gal for fuel, a increase to 6mpg from 5mpg will save $11k a year based on 125k miles.

-scott

I find it hard to believe that a 14'' cube of water with 25 amps passing thru it would produce enough gas to make a differance in MPG or power for a v6 gas engine let alone a big deisal. How much gas does it produce? Without knowing the output of your generator there's now way to do a compareison.
But I do have one question, Why are you only getting 6mpg?

Rev.Vassago 09-10-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrissel (Post 461729)

-scott

It doesn't increase you a full mpg. They don't produce enough hydrogen to do so.

Mackman 09-10-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 461801)
It doesn't increase you a full mpg.

The turbo3000 does.:lol:

Jumbo 09-11-2009 01:59 AM

I use a flux capacitor. Mileage went through the roof.

VPIDarkAngel 09-11-2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 461799)
I find it hard to believe that a 14'' cube of water with 25 amps passing thru it would produce enough gas to make a differance in MPG or power for a v6 gas engine let alone a big deisal. How much gas does it produce? Without knowing the output of your generator there's now way to do a compareison.

It might be the loads that he hauls, where he hauls them, and how often he stops. I drive multi-stop loads exclusively, I love to run in the mountains, and for us, a 'light' load is anything less than 40,000lbs, and my Century's (both the one with an APU and this piece of junk without one) get between 6.0 and 6.4mpg. Both trucks use 435hp Cat C-15's, Eaton 9-speed top 2 transmissions, and 3.55 rears.

As for the HHO deal, I've heard about it, and heard of folks getting good results, even though I still don't know how it's physically possible.

Rev.Vassago 09-11-2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel (Post 461869)

As for the HHO deal, I've heard about it, and heard of folks getting good results, even though I still don't know how it's physically possible.

A lot of it is the placebo effect. People who install that crap are TRYING to get better fuel mileage, so after they install it, they pay more attention to the way they are driving.

The difference between 5 mpg and 6 mpg has less to do with the truck than it does the driver.

SickRick 09-11-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 461875)
A lot of it is the placebo effect. People who install that crap are TRYING to get better fuel mileage, so after they install it, they pay more attention to the way they are driving.

The difference between 5 mpg and 6 mpg has less to do with the truck than it does the driver.

A couple of websites I've reviewed for the diesel version of this, also have literature that come with if describing "enhanced driving techniques to further improve fuel mileage".

Having run a highly boosted LS2 Corvette (14psi) I found the addition of a water/methanol spray into the intake air gave me fairly decent power gains - more due to the cooling effect on the intake air charge, then the octane value of the methanol.

I really doubt this "Hydrogen Generator" (which separates O2 and H2 through electrolysis - remember Junior High science class?) produces enough hydrogen to be of either cooling OR fueling value. There has (to date) NEVER BEEN A METHOD that uses LESS ENERGY TO PRODUCE the hydrogen fuel, than the ENERGY VALUE of the FUEL THAT WAS PRODUCED. If only Morgan Freeman hadn't killed that scientist in that movie with Keanuu Reeves (Chain Reaction), maybe Neo could have found the secret to cheap energy.

The rest of us just have to ante up $2.70 (average) at the pump, shift at the proper time, minimize downshifts, stay out of the pedal, keep out tires properly inflated and all that other happy crap that helps maximize our fuel mileage. Then again, if a $200 device "psyches" people into being better operators and it saves fuel - WTF is $200 anyway?

Rick

BigDiesel 09-11-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrissel (Post 461572)
Hello Ya'll,

Just curious if anyone else is using a hydrogen generator on their truck. I have been experimenting one of my trucks for a while. I'm amazed (and excited) about the increase in fuel mileage that I'm getting.

The truck is a 2003 Freightliner Columbia, with a 14L detroit. It has always been a pig on fuel. My quarterly IFTA MPG calculations have been between 4.9 and 5.3. The most recent Hydrogen generator that I have installed is by far the best. For 20k miles I have been getting between 6.25 and 6.95.

I'm about to install my second unit soon. This time it will be on a Cummins. I hope to get the same results.

-scott

Is this another kevin rutherford scam ???? Like the turdblow 3000 he snake oils..... or the atbs scam ????

Maniac 09-11-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Give the man a cigar !

When you start seeing this stuff endorsed by the large mega carriers, then MAYBE you might be able to believe it, till then you have a better shot winning the powerball.

Windwalker 09-12-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 461930)
Give the man a cigar !

When you start seeing this stuff endorsed by the large mega carriers, then MAYBE you might be able to believe it, till then you have a better shot winning the powerball.

It seems there is one carrier that IS using them...

Quote:

"We're saving $700 a month per truck on fuel," said Sherwin Fast, president of Great Plains Trucking in Salina, Kansas. The company tried the HFI system on four trucks and has ordered 25 more.
I've heard of this before. The company in Canada, that makes them, starts them off in the neighborhood of about $14,000 each. You'd have to get a pretty good return on investment in order to justify one. But read the article, and it seems that someone figures it works.

Truckers Choose Hydrogen Power

I figured I'd get the materials together, try it out on my car, and see what kind of results I get. For that matter, run "HYDROGEN POWERED TRUCKS" through GOOGLE and you get all sorts of results. Until then, I can't say one way or the other. But I can't see a company president spending that kind of money on a whim. Unless he's getting one hell of a "KICK-BACK".

skrissel 09-12-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 461799)

I agree, it does not seem possible. I have enough miles both with and without the system to know that its not just a fluke. It really does make a difference.

This truck has always been a pig on fuel, Can't figure out why. It does idle 10-14 hours a day when its on the road, so that's a large factor to the poor mileage.

-scott

skrissel 09-12-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 461801)
It doesn't increase you a full mpg. They don't produce enough hydrogen to do so.

Rev,

I have seen a true increase in MPG on this truck. Have you installed a similar system and not had good results? Please explain.

Thanks!

-scott

skrissel 09-12-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 461930)
Give the man a cigar !

This company (not the system I'm using) says that they units installed for Coke and Centrex (cement company) here in Atlanta....

Hydrogen Generator | HHO Generator | MagDrive Fuel From H2o

Rev.Vassago 09-12-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrissel (Post 462004)
Rev,

I have seen a true increase in MPG on this truck.

I still say it's placebo effect. You WANT to get better fuel mileage, so you're driving differently and accomplishing that. Any "technology" that relies on anecdotal evidence to prove that it works likely isn't legitimate technology. Show me the science behind it, done in a controlled environment to prove a 1 mpg increase from some baking soda, water, and electricity.

skrissel 09-12-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 462012)
I still say it's placebo effect. You WANT to get better fuel mileage, so you're driving differently and accomplishing that. Any "technology" that relies on anecdotal evidence to prove that it works likely isn't legitimate technology. Show me the science behind it, done in a controlled environment to prove a 1 mpg increase from some baking soda, water, and electricity.

Rev,

You can say what you want, I have actual data and your are stating your opinion.

The truck that it's installed on is not the truck that I drive, so it's not likely that the driver has changed his driving habbits. I have discussed that with him, 90% of the time he uses the cruise control. The truck has a 10 speed autoshift, so the shift points are constant.

-scott

Rev.Vassago 09-12-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrissel (Post 462015)
I have actual data

No, you have anecdotal evidence. There is a difference.
Quote:

I have discussed that with him, 90% of the time he uses the cruise control.
If he were doing that before, he wouldn't have been getting 5 mpg. Theres more at work here than the bubble maker.

Kranky 09-12-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

A constant 20 - 25 amp draw trom the electrical system will increase the parasitic load imposed on the engine by the alternator as it works harder to produce the current being consumed by the hydrogen generator.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Malaki86 09-12-2009 06:39 PM

In a 1.8liter gasoline engine in a car, that kind of draw would be huge. However, in a truck, the load on the alternator wouldn't have enough affect to make a difference.

Rev.Vassago 09-12-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 462021)
In a 1.8liter gasoline engine in a car, that kind of draw would be huge. However, in a truck, the load on the alternator wouldn't have enough affect to make a difference.

Nor would the amount of hydrogen created make a difference. One cannot create more energy than already exists from the existing products used in creating the energy. Water and baking soda (at least in the small amounts used in this operation) don't have all that much energy content.

allan5oh 09-15-2009 04:04 AM

The solution is simple, put it on a dyno.

Say at 50% throttle the truck is putting 180 HP to the ground. Keep everything steady (rpms, throttle, etc)

Now turn on the hydrogen generator. If the HP goes up, it works. If it stays the same or lowers, the hydrogen generator is actually hurting you.

Rev.Vassago 09-15-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 462380)
The solution is simple, put it on a dyno.

Say at 50% throttle the truck is putting 180 HP to the ground. Keep everything steady (rpms, throttle, etc)

Now turn on the hydrogen generator. If the HP goes up, it works. If it stays the same or lowers, the hydrogen generator is actually hurting you.

One would think the manufacturers would do this if the product worked, if only for the advertising value.