Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Super singles blow out! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/38480-super-singles-blow-out.html)

b00m 08-11-2009 11:58 PM

Super singles blow out!

Just had a blow out on a brand new super single while bobtailing!!! Pissed off to the max.

Right now i'm looking at a bridgestone replacement,instead of a michelin x one.Same size,same everything just another brand.The reason is about 200-250 less for the bridgestone.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

JR OTR 08-12-2009 01:11 AM

It is difficult to imagine any properly installed brand new tire blowing out unless you ran something over... what was the verdict on that? No warranty?

Jim

Sabine 08-12-2009 04:30 AM

Oh yes they blow out, I blew two out in a couple of weeks time. They suck, the traction sucks, sitting on the side of the road waiting for the replacement on sucks.

One was old, I only had 4/32 tread left, I would hydroplane with an empty trailer, and slide all over the road in a bobtail.

The other looked pretty new on the trailer, and I may have run over something, the sidewall blew out.

We run the Michelins too.

allan5oh 08-12-2009 04:38 AM

Ever hit anything with them?

b00m 08-12-2009 04:56 AM

.....I don't think i hit anything with them.It seemed the whole tire wall just blew out.I'm still mystified about this,since the way it blew bobtailing. So yeah,ill try to see if i got some warranty on it, if not then i get a bridgestone as a replacement.

Dejanh 08-13-2009 03:34 PM

That sidewall seems to be their weak spot. Have a buddy that had a blowout on his X-1 even though it looked PERFECTO. Grew some kind of a ballon type of thing on his sidewall all of a sudden and it blew out. Tire had alot of thread on it. He raplaced the other one on the same axle as well so that they will wear evenly and he showed it to me just the other day when we were changing the shocks on my truck. It has lines/cracks inside for some reason even though it looks really good. It has also started to have uneven bumps of some sort on its sidewall as well....

He put two new X-1's and payed about 2100 for everything but i still dont see how can it make any sence to be riding these. I purchased 8 Yoko's 2 months ago and payed 2850 out the door with new valve stems and I am positive that i can run AT LEAST 300K with them. He gets the same fuel milage as i do and i just cannot see how they are any better than a regular tire. With it you just buy headache and fear. THat is just my 2 cents.....

These days older the technology is, the better it is for an individual. All these new *****s they have been putting out are not worth a dime, even though they claim thy are.....

Everything new i runaway from, it has served me well over the years.

Dejanh 08-13-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b00m (Post 458867)
if not then i get a bridgestone as a replacement.

One of the guys that is working in the same company as I do is acctualy doing opposite. He bought a new truck with Bridgestones and he has only 148K miles on his truck. They are worn out and ALSO have cracks on their sidewall but on the inside sidewall(you can see it), not outside. He seems very suprised on just how their milage is for their wear, but they look like junk. I think X-1s are better tires looking at his example but then again, in my other post above friend of mine had another problem, who knows. I would buy regular tire and trade yours in.

Good luck.

skrissel 08-15-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b00m (Post 458828)
Just had a blow out on a brand new super single while bobtailing!!! Pissed off to the max.

Right now i'm looking at a bridgestone replacement,instead of a michelin x one.Same size,same everything just another brand.The reason is about 200-250 less for the bridgestone.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

I'm still a fan of the X-ones. I'm about to put them on my 2nd truck. I am considering getting retreads, they are about $380 each. If you get the "custom mold" tires they are the same tread as the Virgin. I'm not a fan of retreads, but Michelin's MRT technology is impressive.

Good luck!

-s

Windwalker 08-15-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabine (Post 458858)
Oh yes they blow out, I blew two out in a couple of weeks time. They suck, the traction sucks, sitting on the side of the road waiting for the replacement on sucks.

One was old, I only had 4/32 tread left, I would hydroplane with an empty trailer, and slide all over the road in a bobtail.

The other looked pretty new on the trailer, and I may have run over something, the sidewall blew out.

We run the Michelins too.

I've actually heard very little good about SS. Next to nothing, in fact. Thankfully, the company I pull for has not gone to them... yet.