Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Making Adjustments (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/37732-making-adjustments.html)

b00m 05-02-2009 01:01 AM

This should be a very interesting topic.

I think it will stay like this for quite a while,or until people are going to have jobs so the economy can pick up.

Being new to the business, im eager to learn from just about anyone on how to run smarter and more efficient.If that means driving 900 miles to get the load out and position myself for another load on a good freight area,that's what I'll do.

Another thing is speed.I just finished a run from az to bronx and back and hand calculated my mpg was around 7mpg with my new truck.I didn't have the money to remove the limiter and i was forced to run with it for now.The speed was 65,and that's what i kept it for the entire duration.I think that's how i'll run from now on,even i'll have that limiter removed so i can pass other when there to many trucks toghether.

I beleive in this business and i think the strong ones are going to survive.The weak,mega carrriers that are constrained on rules and regulations and don't have a good business model will fail soon.But hey, that would be a good sign for the small owner op.LONG LIVE THE OWNER OP:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

heavyhaulerss 05-02-2009 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b00m (Post 448539)
This should be a very interesting topic.

I think it will stay like this for quite a while,or until people are going to have jobs so the economy can pick up.

Being new to the business, im eager to learn from just about anyone on how to run smarter and more efficient.If that means driving 900 miles to get the load out and position myself for another load on a good freight area,that's what I'll do.

Another thing is speed.I just finished a run from az to bronx and back and hand calculated my mpg was around 7mpg with my new truck.I didn't have the money to remove the limiter and i was forced to run with it for now.The speed was 65,and that's what i kept it for the entire duration.I think that's how i'll run from now on,even i'll have that limiter removed so i can pass other when there to many trucks toghether.

I beleive in this business and i think the strong ones are going to survive.The weak,mega carrriers that are constrained on rules and regulations and don't have a good business model will fail soon.But hey, that would be a good sign for the small owner op.LONG LIVE THE OWNER OP:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Being new to the business ??? well you sure to have your eye on the ball. your perception is accurate & it is good you can see the benefit of mp.g.. hang in there & best of luck. I'll be right there along with you.

matcat 05-02-2009 05:51 AM

I've been progressive shifting lately and being more conscious of coasting to a stop rather then braking when possible, as well as running at lower RPM's when possible too. Those things combined I have seen a really good improvement in fuel mileage.

tootie04 05-02-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 447823)
Gman how are you making adjustments ???

BTW buying a truck right now i think is a bad idea. But im talking dump trucks not OTR.

I'd like to see an answer to this question too....

Rev.Vassago 05-02-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootie04 (Post 448638)
I'd like to see an answer to this question too....

It's good to like things.

sidman82 05-02-2009 07:27 PM

I told my wife she needs to make more money.

solo379 05-02-2009 07:51 PM

I've been always doing all those things. Penny saved, is penny earned. So for now, i just tightened it. I also lowered my load acceptance standards, according to the current market. This doesn't mean "cheap freight", just being realistic.

RostyC 05-02-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidman82 (Post 448643)
I told my wife she needs to make more money.

And that's how it's done folks. :thumbsup: :bow: :lol:

Chiefwhatdahey 05-06-2009 01:37 PM

GM will be idleing their plants for nine weeks, Chrysler is closing several plants, Caterpillar is going to idle plants off and on over the summer, let's see, did I miss anybody? The trickle down is going to be huge.

If anyone is thinking of buying a truck I'd wait till fall, by that time there will be a glut of repo's, I wonder which carrier(s) will be gone by then?

b00m 05-07-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefwhatdahey (Post 449183)
GM will be idleing their plants for nine weeks, Chrysler is closing several plants, Caterpillar is going to idle plants off and on over the summer, let's see, did I miss anybody? The trickle down is going to be huge.

If anyone is thinking of buying a truck I'd wait till fall, by that time there will be a glut of repo's, I wonder which carrier(s) will be gone by then?

I don't think it's going to be good with all these companies being like this.But hey hope for the best and hopefully we'll come out.But when, that's the million dollar question!!!