Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Mercer cuts 200 leased truckers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/37321-mercer-cuts-200-leased-truckers.html)

Heavy Duty 03-08-2009 04:20 AM

Mercer cuts 200 leased truckers

Tough all over http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../030609-02.htm

"Dale Corum, general manager at Mercer Transportation confirmed to Land Line Magazine on Friday, March 6, that hundreds of owner-operators who were leased to the company, including some OOIDA members, were cut loose – adding to the casualties of the tough economic times facing the country."

blanco 03-08-2009 08:00 AM

tough times indeed.... :o

lowrange 03-08-2009 12:06 PM

The end of that stupid Mercer Town ad campaign.

Not so long ago, a month, or months, Mercer is payiing money to attract O/Os. Now, they're giving them away. Now, that is fast!

Maniac 03-08-2009 01:21 PM

We had a guy leave Dana and go there, last time I talked to him he was #45 on the list.

Probably got cut, sad thing is, I don't know if they will take him back here.

Orangetxguy 03-08-2009 02:17 PM

Miller Transporters did the same thing last week. 18% of the O/O fleet was released. They are cutting company trucks too. We just have not heard the exact numbers. The shop's, dispatch, and tankwash's also got hit hard.

GMAN 03-08-2009 02:30 PM

I have a friend of mine who is leased to Mercer. He hasn't been with them but a few months. Hopefully, he will be spared from having his contract canceled. He is usually willing to go anywhere so he will probably be safe, at least for now.

Maniac 03-08-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 441590)
Miller Transporters did the same thing last week. 18% of the O/O fleet was released. They are cutting company trucks too. We just have not heard the exact numbers. The shop's, dispatch, and tankwash's also got hit hard.

So far all that happened here is the payroll dept in Demopoils was let go, around 26 people in the office.

Some terminals have canceled 2nd shift shop hours.

Nitro W Va has been hit pretty hard, some guys getting only one load a week, no layoffs.................yet.

Orangetxguy 03-08-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 441599)
So far all that happened here is the payroll dept in Demopoils was let go, around 26 people in the office.

Some terminals have canceled 2nd shift shop hours.

Nitro W Va has been hit pretty hard, some guys getting only one load a week, no layoffs.................yet.

Was in Nitro a couple weeks ago. Dana has a whole lot of ISO's and trailers sitting there. Pretty much have all the old lot's jammed. Looks like they are leasing out parking space on the lot they have behind Miller's office.

solo379 03-08-2009 04:57 PM

I didn't get it! What's the reason, for cutting O/O? It's practically cost company nothing, oppose to a company trucks..... May be I'm missing something here?

Orangetxguy 03-08-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo379 (Post 441616)
I didn't get it! What's the reason, for cutting O/O? It's practically cost company nothing, oppose to a company trucks..... May be I'm missing something here?

The letter I got from Miller in my settlement friday, said they are cutting company trucks...didn't specify how many they are cutting...but that they are doing so. They have to do it different from the O/O side. Union drivers and all.

We have heard two company terminals are closing completely, plus anywhere from 40% to 80% of the company trucks. Will only know for sure when it all hits the fan.

They cut the O/O's that had "issues" or were under performers for the most part.