Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Introducing the Kevin Rutherford "signature" truck (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/36973-introducing-kevin-rutherford-signature-truck.html)

sgreer78 02-07-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 436782)
Either that, or buy a truck yourself and just spec it out the same way, and avoid the "Rutherford markup", which I'm sure is quite high.

I have to agree with some on his site that are stating that this truck is foolish, because the engine will not meet any of the future EPA requirements.

Did you see the rear end ratio?:hellno: Good luck pulling a hill in that thing.

Sure it has 2.64's, but it's also a direct drive(no over drive), so the final gear ratio is still higher(numerically) than say a truck with 3.55's and an overdrive.

Bottom line, it'll pull just fine, if not better than most.

Heavy Duty 02-08-2009 03:44 AM

I have a set of Walker Mega-Flow mufflers, they are stait thru and I could tell a difference in power, but I took off pulgged up factory mufflers.

They sell a mega flow and a mega flow noise breaker. Had the noise breaker on another truck and wished I had bought them this time instead of the strait mega flow.
My Jake is extermley LOUD, and with the noise breaker you could run the Jake anywhere and know one would notice, very quiet. I will probably replace them this spring. Want some used one's?

Windwalker 02-08-2009 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrange (Post 436842)
I'm inclined to believe it would be a great truck, much better than new. It's like Trick My Truck for guys who actually make a living with them, not just a nice TV show. I don't know anything about ceramic and teflon coated pistons but I just bet they're better than a fireplace. :rofl:

Yeah, Kevin's a self-promoter, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know a lot and have a lot of good advice.

I just got my fingers burned on the Turbo 3000 and am not ready to forgive or trust him again. There's always that one little thing- after 7,000 miles, my Vada hadn't done a damn thing for me. But...what if...30,000 miles!? Ah, forget it. I'm listening, but I'm taking everything with a grain of salt, too. I am probably going to pick up one of those Walker Mega-Flow mufflers, unless one of you guys tells me I'm wasting my money.

I remember a thread a while back that was based on a number of "SNAKE-OIL" remedies to improve the fuel economy on a truck. That "TURBO-3000" was one of the things on the list. Yes, there are things you can do, and reducing the back-pressure is one of them. Increasing the intake pressure will also help. But, this turbo thingy and the magnet that you put on your fuel line (that is California EPA approved) won't do a damned thing but relieve you of some of the weight in your wallet. If you looked inside that turbo thing, all it is, is an addition to the length of your fuel line, with a few baffles inside it. I'm told it's supposed to "ATOMIZE" the fuel... In the fuel line??? Where it's supposed to be liquid??? Feed atomized fuel into the injectors???

One look at the truck... It's a Frightliner...
One look at the engine... It's a Detroit...

If I want a signature truck, I'll keep looking... There's gotta be a Kenworth out back somewhere... Then, a Cat 3406 or a Cummins N14+... About 3:46 rears, and a good 10 speed, and I'll run circles around his signature. So, now, I've already had a look at the truck, and the engine, and I don't have to waste my time anymore.

allan5oh 02-08-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 436782)
I have to agree with some on his site that are stating that this truck is foolish, because the engine will not meet any of the future EPA requirements.

It will meet EPA requirements because it meets the EPA regulation of the year of the engine. It may not however meet CARB requirements.

Quote:

Did you see the rear end ratio?:hellno: Good luck pulling a hill in that thing.
2.64's with a direct drive is the same steps as 3.55's with an overdrive. Within less then 1%.

Heavy Duty 02-08-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 437674)
If I want a signature truck, I'll keep looking... There's gotta be a Kenworth out back somewhere... Then, a Cat 3406 or a Cummins N14+... About 3:46 rears, and a good 10 speed, and I'll run circles around his signature. So, now, I've already had a look at the truck, and the engine, and I don't have to waste my time anymore.

It may be a Freightshaker(no thank you) but Bruce knows how to build a engine. The truck will run good and he will set it a what ever horsepower you want. Good horsepower, low rolling resistants and good aero, it will run better than most. Take you N 14 to Bruce and he will make you king of the hill.

My problem with the truck besides it being a FL is single drive, not good on job sites and I couldn't find the full size bed and shower, sink and toilet. No Thank You, I'll keep my Pete. But I would be proud to have Bruce build me a motor.

oltrucker 03-02-2009 01:36 PM

Thoughts

Kevin's dream truck is set up for pulling light FEDEX loads on flat ground in Florida. That is not the real world. The turbo 3000 is in the same class as magic magnets, the little bypass filter is a joke. A centrifuge oil cleaner is much more effective and cost about the same. As far as his Super single low profile doughnuts go, long distance bicycle riders use those large diameter tires because they have less rolling resistance not more. Of course if anyone wants to get rid of their big tires cheap I have a little CH Mack that is geared too low. He is right about the lug tires vs. highway tread unless you are running off pavement. The lift pusher axle makes much more sense. I was using one 40 years ago, worked very well. Those old gas rigs didn't have any extra power to turn another set of gears in a twin screw. I was not running mountains in winter at that time. That might present a problem. Been out here fifty years. Every time I get to thinking I've seen it all, some four wheeler shows me something different.
THAT CHEAP BACKHAUL WAS PROBABLY SOMEONES DECENT REGULAR HAUL BEFORE YOU TOOK IT.

deep dixie blue 03-03-2009 10:38 PM

So what kind of fuel mileage will this truck get? Any guesses, or better yet, real world numbers?

semicomputing 08-30-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrange (Post 436842)
I'm inclined to believe it would be a great truck, much better than new. It's like Trick My Truck for guys who actually make a living with them, not just a nice TV show. I don't know anything about ceramic and teflon coated pistons but I just bet they're better than a fireplace. :rofl:

Yeah, Kevin's a self-promoter, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know a lot and have a lot of good advice.

I just got my fingers burned on the Turbo 3000 and am not ready to forgive or trust him again. There's always that one little thing- after 7,000 miles, my Vada hadn't done a damn thing for me. But...what if...30,000 miles!? Ah, forget it. I'm listening, but I'm taking everything with a grain of salt, too. I am probably going to pick up one of those Walker Mega-Flow mufflers, unless one of you guys tells me I'm wasting my money.

Couldn't you get your money back when you found out the hollow tube did nothing for you? It is supposed to have a money back guarantee if not 100% satisfied. Does nothing for the labor used to put it on, but that isn't much.

semicomputing 08-30-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep dixie blue (Post 441045)
So what kind of fuel mileage will this truck get? Any guesses, or better yet, real world numbers?

Hauling heavy reefer loads in the Sierra Mountains it is getting somewhere above 8mpg. Not bad, considering the weight and terrain. They are suppossed to give out some more numbers after it get's past 75,000 miles as they will consider it broke in at that point. This is from the owner of the truck who called in to KR's show a month or so ago.

tracer 08-30-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 436700)
I question whether this would be CA emissions legal.

I'm starting to think that Rutherford is basically a charlatan. His main goal is to promote himself.

And that's kind of sad because there is a substantial germ of truth to his basic message.

On Saturday he was answering a question from a listener on the Trucking radio on XM and said that if the guy installed Turbo 3000 and changed from dual exhaust stacks to one single stack with a free flow Pittsburgh Power muffler behind the sleeper, the fuel mileage should go up by 0.7 mpg. I don't think it's realistic to think that.