Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Longhoods a dying breed (Musicman & Tracer 12/2008)? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/36698-longhoods-dying-breed-musicman-tracer-12-2008-a.html)

Beachcomber 01-07-2009 04:06 AM

Longhoods a dying breed (Musicman & Tracer 12/2008)?

Okay, sorry...I'm getting in on this a little late. What Musicman says (12/26/2008) is not only true from a physics base; it's true from a market basis. Many big fleets know more than any of us where it comes to return on investment… Take Werner for instance; who use to buy some longhoods for resale thru their company owned numerous nationwide sales lots… They are no longer buying long hoods (period). They’ve made the shift to 387’s, and other aero styles only. Furthermore, they announced they have no intention of purchasing any “hood’s” again, which include 379Exh, W900L or Freight-shaker Classics. And Yes, that includes their flatbed fleet too! Car haulers and specialized can be adapted too…

Fleets use to use the hoods as a recruiting tool, along with the better resale value. Today, there is no driver shortage and most importantly, resale of hoods are no longer better than other styles…I nor anyone else is a one person focus group. The R&D side of the trucking business is much smarter than any of us. Paccar & Volvo didn’t invest all those millions of dollars into wind tunnels and aerodynamic development for nothing.

Not to mention, the big-fleet equipment managers I’ve talked to aren’t our father’s former fleet managers. Today, these guys go to seminars and schools that wouldn’t allow them to spec a truck with 3:70’s or worse 3:90’s (heavy haul exception?). Heck I remember my first Pete cabover in 1976 had 4:11’s with a screaming 2 cycle 350 hp Detroit in it. What were the fuel costs then?

Why don’t we have those old original blunt-nosed blocks of concrete running down the road today? Well, I rest my case…It’s called high fuel costs, technology & computer science R&D…The longhood is going to join them in the future!

As a dealer, I can tell you that the party is over for the day of the longhood in any dominant way. When fuel prices went up you couldn’t give a hood away (actually the trend started when the 2004 Cat bridge motor didn’t cut the mustard). Now that fuel prices have dropped there’s been a small spike in hood sales again. Short lived until the next fuel spike?

Well, (Tracer) I can tell you the fellas buying them are the guys who just can’t change with the markets. In my humble option anyone who is going to survive in the future is going to have the most efficient equipment the market has to offer. Anyone else is going to be taken out by attrition and the defiance of those same market forces. It’s not enough to simply depreciate equipment you still need as good a resale as possible!

mike3fan 01-07-2009 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachcomber (Post 432720)
Well, (Tracer) I can tell you the fellas buying them are the guys who just can’t change with the markets. In my humble option anyone who is going to survive in the future is going to have the most efficient equipment the market has to offer. Anyone else is going to be taken out by attrition and the defiance of those same market forces. It’s not enough to simply depreciate equipment you still need as good a resale as possible!

I work with a bunch of guys that own "hoods" and I don't think any of them are looking to downgrade to any aero truck,and most of us made more money when fuel was higher. All our company trucks are being changed over to Pete 379's also.

Point is there will always be a market for "hoods" atleast for the time being.

Rev.Vassago 01-07-2009 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachcomber (Post 432720)
Okay, sorry...I'm getting in on this a little late. What Musicman says (12/26/2008) is not only true from a physics base; it's true from a market basis.

Is there a reason you didn't post this in the thread you are referencing? Wouldn't that make it easier for everyone else to understand who and what you are responding to?

Quote:

Many big fleets know more than any of us where it comes to return on investment… Take Werner for instance; who use to buy some longhoods for resale thru their company owned numerous nationwide sales lots… They are no longer buying long hoods (period). They’ve made the shift to 387’s, and other aero styles only. Furthermore, they announced they have no intention of purchasing any “hood’s” again, which include 379Exh, W900L or Freight-shaker Classics. And Yes, that includes their flatbed fleet too! Car haulers and specialized can be adapted too…
Every 379 that Werner had in their fleet was torn up by the lousy drivers they hired to hold the steering wheel. Freightliners are a dime a dozen, so it is cheaper for them to put their lousy drivers into a vehicle that doesn't cost as much to fix when their drivers tear it up.

Quote:

Fleets use to use the hoods as a recruiting tool, along with the better resale value. Today, there is no driver shortage and most importantly, resale of hoods are no longer better than other styles…
A quick trip over to truckpaper.com proves you wrong. A quick search comparing similar equipped Freightliner Century Class to Peterbilt 379's shows the 379's are fetching about $30,000 more than the Century Class with comparable mileage.

Quote:

As a dealer, I can tell you that the party is over for the day of the longhood in any dominant way. When fuel prices went up you couldn’t give a hood away (actually the trend started when the 2004 Cat bridge motor didn’t cut the mustard).
Are you sure it wasn't the fault of the POS Cat motor? Large hooded trucks have always fetched higher prices than throwaway Freightliner products, and they always will. If you were incapable of selling them, that would say more about your business than about the trucks themselves.

Quote:

In my humble option anyone who is going to survive in the future is going to have the most efficient equipment the market has to offer.
Would it surprise you to know that I know several people who own and operate long hooded equipment that are getting better fuel mileage than aero trucks?

Quote:

Anyone else is going to be taken out by attrition and the defiance of those same market forces. It’s not enough to simply depreciate equipment you still need as good a resale as possible!
And good resale was, is, and will continue to be in the better quality product. And throwaway aero trucks are not where that quality rests.

mike3fan 01-07-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 432728)
And good resale was, is, and will continue to be in the better quality product. And throwaway aero trucks are not where that quality rests.

Exactly correct.

GMAN 01-07-2009 08:23 AM

I think you will find those who will buy the hoods even if they got 2 mpg. Having said that I have a couple of friends who seem to be doing well on fuel mileage with 379 Pete's. I still like the classic look of the hoods. I might buy another hood one day, but don't see it happening any time soon.

TomB985 01-07-2009 01:26 PM

Oh, come on, Rev.

Just because it has a hood doesn't make it well built...and just because it's aero doesn't mean it's cheap!!!

Just curious, what are your average MPG numbers?

boneebone 01-07-2009 01:40 PM

Better fuel mileage in a Hood than a Aero?, yeah right. The Hood must have a 50mph tailwind behind it all the time.

solo379 01-07-2009 02:05 PM

I tend to believe, that i found a best compromise, for that matter. KW T600....

Heavy Duty 01-07-2009 02:35 PM

How exactly does a aero truck help in heavy haul. The load I haul most is 15 ft wide and 15 ft high on the trailer, the gap from the back of the cab to the front of the load is 18 ft., 6 axles and over 80,000 lbs.

Long hood, short hood, aero or not you will get 4 -5 MPG. I have friends hauling wind tower bases, no matter what truck they have they get 1 - 2 MPG. My truck averages 6.5 to 7 empty which ain't bad considering it's light weight is 45,000. Loaded I get between 3 - 7. I don't think a new aero truck will help any, I'll keep my "hood". By the way, my motor ain't yellow. I believe that 2004 Cat bridge motor was meant for marine application, they make good boat anchors.

My friend bought a new Pete with the new cat with twin turbos, talk about a POS, in 2 years it has had $41,000 in warranty work, no wonder Cat is getting out of the highway truck engine business.

TomB985 01-07-2009 03:02 PM

HD, I think for your applications, you would be the exception to the rule, here. You get higher rates for what you do, as awful fuel economy is part of the deal. I know Walking Eagle likes to brag about his 2 MPG average, both loaded and empty. And he drives a W9. The "hood" likely has a negligible effect at best for heavy haul.

I was just referring to the more common applications, that's all :).

And solo379, I agree...would never want another freightliner again after the T600 I'm in now...