Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Before the internet. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/36285-before-internet.html)

Rev.Vassago 11-27-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle (Post 426096)
First "Radio phone" I had was 5 lbs in a suitcase, battery lasted about 5 minutes, other than that stock up on dimes and head to a pay phone.

LOL.

First cellular phone I had didn't even have a battery. That was a $100 option. I bought it, then drove 20 miles home. By the time I got home, I was roaming (this was with US Cellular). I had it for one month, and made about 5 calls with it. Those 5 calls cost me about $300. Needless to say, I returned it. That was back in 1997. It's amazing how far the technology has come since then.

Walking Eagle 11-27-2008 10:36 PM

Rev. first "mobile Phone" I had was lituarly a radio phone. You picked it up and call an operator who dialed your number then patched you thru, anyone could listen in if they were on the same service :(
Yep it is amazing how far we have come. On a 12 inch screen sitting on the dash, I can get calls and see my Gkids when they call. Costs a bit but what the he11 :) :)

GMAN 11-28-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle (Post 426096)
GMAN, what makes me feel old is going across N.M. and seeing signs to "Historic Route 66" !!!! He11 I remember when we used to run it !! I-80 used to stop and start to where you had to run 30 :(
First "Radio phone" I had was 5 lbs in a suitcase, battery lasted about 5 minutes, other than that stock up on dimes and head to a pay phone.

I have fond memories every time I see those signs about Route 66. The old road had some really interesting sights along the way. When they built the freeway they destroyed a lot of neat things one could see along the way. There are still some of the old sights around. You just need to get away from the interstate and travel the old road.

I forgot those old phones were called radio phones. Communication has certainly gotten much easier the last couple of decades.

GMAN 11-28-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 426099)
LOL.

First cellular phone I had didn't even have a battery. That was a $100 option. I bought it, then drove 20 miles home. By the time I got home, I was roaming (this was with US Cellular). I had it for one month, and made about 5 calls with it. Those 5 calls cost me about $300. Needless to say, I returned it. That was back in 1997. It's amazing how far the technology has come since then.

I never will forget the first portable phone I had. I had roaming charges while driving across Chicago. My first bill was about $55. At the time I didn't realize that I was charged for incoming calls. My second bill was over $800. I spent over $2500 in about 6 months. It took a while to get the bill under $200. At the time we had to pay for each minute of talk time used. I did get a T-shirt out of the deal. I receive it after my third bill which was about $680. It is the most expensive T-shirt I have ever bought. :eek1:

wildkat 11-28-2008 04:03 AM

Gee...Up here we used the old, what we called XJ Mobiles...same thing you picked up this huge handset, which got you the XJ operator...believe it or not she had a CALL BOARD & CABLES to connect us together! Heaven help you if she "forgot" to unplug you from the other guy, you gave her the XJ number you wanted & she called the other one & literally plugged you together, & if you needed to call a land line it was the same! Way up in the Arctic where I run there is no cell service...we still use them damned old XJ phones...mine must be damned near 50 years old, but it's indestructible!

For that matter we don't use CB radio's either...only VHF, way more powerful, way more distance.