Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Get revenge with Rand McNally here! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35440-get-revenge-rand-mcnally-here.html)

lowrange 09-09-2008 04:12 AM

Get revenge with Rand McNally here!

Seriously, is anyone else as angry as I am that you buy their atlases and they fall apart the first week?

tootie04 09-09-2008 04:41 AM

Which one are you buying...I have the last 3 laminated ones from 2002, 2004, 2006 and they are ALL still in one piece and we used them ALOT!!

tootie

NotSteve 09-09-2008 08:11 AM

Ya, you gotta buy the big expensive laminated one.

lowrange 09-09-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve
Ya, you gotta buy the big expensive laminated one.

'Big' is the main word, there. That's the main reason I haven't bought that one, it's just so thick and heavy.

I considered the regular one to be disposable, and they update it every year anyway. They didn't use to fall apart so quickly, but I think it's two or three in a row, the thing is practically brand new and yet the binding doesn't hold.

GMAN 09-09-2008 11:38 AM

If you wait until the end of the year when the new ones come out, you can usually get a good discount. Last time I think I paid $10/each. A number of years ago I tried the cheaper ones, but like you say, they don't last. If you are going to have to replace the cheaper one, I figure it is less expensive in the long run to just buy the better one with lamination. I replace mine about every 2 years. There isn't really any need to buy a new one every year. There aren't going to be many, if any changes during that time.

lowrange 09-09-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
If you wait until the end of the year when the new ones come out, you can usually get a good discount. Last time I think I paid $10/each. A number of years ago I tried the cheaper ones, but like you say, they don't last. If you are going to have to replace the cheaper one, I figure it is less expensive in the long run to just buy the better one with lamination. I replace mine about every 2 years. There isn't really any need to buy a new one every year. There aren't going to be many, if any changes during that time.

Sounds like I am the last one to be told! Alright then, maybe I need to go laminated.

GMAN 09-09-2008 12:23 PM

It will be cheaper in the long run. The new maps should be out so you may be able to find them in the truck stops at a discount.

tootie04 09-09-2008 04:13 PM

That is what I did except I got the new one when it came out but kept it for 2yrs. If you wiat till they are on sale toward the end of the year they are cheaper and you could get one every year then.

I didnt get the GIANT print one though....Texas is like 9 pages long....I got the regular one with the laminated pages.... :wink:

tootie

no_worries 09-09-2008 04:18 PM

We've had the laminated ones for the last two years, but used the regular ones prior to that and I always got them to last a year...just. The key is to keep them out of the sun, especially off the dash. The binding doesn't hold up to the heat. I have the same problem with the truck stop guide.

Orangetxguy 09-09-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrange
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN

Sounds like I am the last one to be told! Alright then, maybe I need to go laminated.

Since you have access to the net.....http://www.randmcnally.com/

No pages to lose...no extra weight to carry...and if you have a printer on-board...you can print your map for each trip. :P