Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Get the overhead done? Or no? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35382-get-overhead-done-no.html)

BigDiesel 09-06-2008 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by rigidsporty:
How much does an overhead cost? (just curious)

$264.99

rigidsporty 09-06-2008 09:14 PM

What all do they do... adjust the valves and inspect everything?

Rev.Vassago 09-06-2008 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by rigidsporty:
What all do they do... adjust the valves and inspect everything?

Pull the heads, adjust the valves, check the jake and all the moving components in the upper end.

solo379 09-07-2008 03:49 AM

Well, the friend of mine, has ISX, at a bit over 400 grand, never run it. I mean overhead... :roll:
One suggestion, if you did experience fuel mileage drop after the last one.
Go to a different people for that service. Should be quiet the opposite, if it was done properly!

Rev.Vassago 09-07-2008 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by solo379:
Well, the friend of mine, has ISX, at a bit over 400 grand, never run it. I mean overhead... :roll:
One suggestion, if you did experience fuel mileage drop after the last one.
Go to a different people for that service. Should be quiet the opposite, if it was done properly!

I get all my work done at that shop, because I trust them. I may take it to the local Cummins shop, though. Depends how much they charge.

heavyhaulerss 09-07-2008 04:13 PM

I think it depends on who does the overhead. just because you brought it to a k.w. dealer or any other shop, does not mean much. one day they might have a a person doing the overhead that was trained to do it a specific way & another time at the same place you may get someone else who was trained to do it slightly different.

I had mine done 4 months ago & after driving my truck for 10 years & having the overhead done every 100,000 miles this last time done at freightliner in decatur al, my truck has more power then it did when I first bought the truck. it does blow out a lil more black smoke from the stack, but the m.p.g. is better & the power was increased by a noticable difference. srange to me to have a truck with over 1.1 mil miles perform better than when it had 400,000 miles.

but that is the case with mine. now I am afraid when the time comes for my overhead that if i take it in it will not perform as it is now.

Walking Eagle 09-08-2008 01:23 AM

I have a C16 600 ( turned up a little bit with PB power) and have it done every 100,000 miles. Even with the PB power I notice the difference in power but no drop in MPH.

allan5oh 09-08-2008 05:02 AM

I thought cummins factory recommendation was 500,000 miles? I remember reading that on their site, maybe that's the new ones.

Anyways, solo is absolutely right, if you noticed a loss, something wasn't done right.

There is more to the valve job then simply fuel mileage. Too tight and the valves hang open too long. This is especially bad for the exhaust valve, it can burn out. Too loose and the valve doesn't open enough, and it's hard on the valvetrain.

no_worries 09-08-2008 09:00 PM

Actually Allan, I think you're right. I think that's why I was curious in the first place that the KW shop was saying I should get it done every 100,000 or so. I'd go look in my manual...but the truck's in the shop :roll:

Dejanh 09-12-2008 02:54 AM

I got mine done at my frth 2 days ago, its a 4 hr job, 575$ here w/taxxes.

I dont know anyone who paid what the Rev. said, all places that I have checked were over 400$...

Oh yeah, i went 252K miles and never done it, i gets 6.3 average for all the time used including idling.

Now, we will see..