Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Pain in the butt transmissions (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35295-pain-butt-transmissions.html)

Midnight Flyer 09-01-2008 12:43 AM

Pain in the butt transmissions

:D Through the years there have been all sorts of transmissions in the big rigs and some of them haven't been the easiest to shift (some of the old Macks come to mind). So what have been the most difficult to shift and/or work with? 8)

Jumbo 09-01-2008 01:03 AM

Super 10 speed.

Rev.Vassago 09-01-2008 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo
Super 10 speed.

Here's another vote for the Stupid 10.

Ironically enough, it was also the transmission that I got my best fuel mileage out of. I could be maxxed out at 80K, and still get 7.9 mpg out of that damn thing.

Kranky 09-01-2008 01:28 AM

Re: Pain in the butt transmissions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
:D Through the years there have been all sorts of transmissions in the big rigs and some of them haven't been the easiest to shift (some of the old Macks come to mind).

Hmmmm, I've always found Mack transmissions (both old & later model) to be easy shifting.

From a durability standpoint I'd say the worst was the old Spicer 4x4 (16 speed) air shift.

Midnight Flyer 09-01-2008 01:56 AM

:D Does Spicer still make transmissions? All I've ever seen are Eaton-Fuller or Meritor. 8)

GMAN 09-01-2008 02:17 AM

I remember an old 4 x 5 that was interesting to drive. It had two gear shifts.

Kranky 09-01-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

:D Does Spicer still make transmissions? All I've ever seen are Eaton-Fuller or Meritor. 8)

Spicer is now known as Transmission Technologies Corporation.

Kranky 09-01-2008 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I remember an old 4 x 5 that was interesting to drive. It had two gear shifts.

The Mack quadruplex was a 5x4 with 2 sticks.

It's also my favorite transmission of all time.

That's primarily what I drove for the first 10 years or so of my career.

Just like anything else, once you get the hang of it you can make it "talk".

Midnight Flyer 09-01-2008 02:32 AM

Re: Pain in the butt transmissions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:

:D Through the years there have been all sorts of transmissions in the big rigs and some of them haven't been the easiest to shift (some of the old Macks come to mind).

Hmmmm, I've always found Mack transmissions (both old & later model) to be easy shifting.

From a durability standpoint I'd say the worst was the old Spicer 4x4 (16 speed) air shift.

:D A buddy of mine who's been driving since when they first started making trucks hated those 4X4s (he called them air 4X4s). He was always cussing them! 8)

GMAN 09-01-2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

I have a Spicer in my International. It is a good transmission.