Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   New Truck Specs (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35049-new-truck-specs.html)

gladman 08-16-2008 04:18 PM

New Truck Specs

Looking at a new truck...thinking either Volvo (since I have one) or an International, although I plan to test drive all of them. Will need for flatbed work, payload up to 100 000lbs.

I figure I need closer to 500hp. Other than that, can you pros give me some things to spec when I walk into the dealer?

allan5oh 08-16-2008 04:58 PM

Where do you run?

What type of freight/trailer?

Can you be more specific with the weights?

How fast?

gladman 08-17-2008 05:11 PM

500 mile radius
steel/6 axle flatdeck
up to 99,000 lbs. often 60' rebar hanging off front and back
in Ontario, will be governed to 105 km/h this fall (although I'll be getting the software to ungovern if I leave the province)

Mackman 08-17-2008 05:36 PM

I drove a International 9900ix day cab. With a 475 cat and an 8LL for tranny. Pulled a RGN and i have hauled up to 110,000lbs with it. It did a good job. But that truck was specd right. It was also doubled framed. Had really heavy axles in it.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6...63615pmbj7.jpg

allan5oh 08-17-2008 06:26 PM

You're hauling a bit heavy so unfortunately you cannot go with a direct drive transmission.

I'd look at a volvo D13, 485 hp, volvo I-shift overdrive, 22.5LP tires(or super singles) and probably 3.55 gears, depending on how fast you wanted to go.

gladman 08-17-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
You're hauling a bit heavy so unfortunately you cannot go with a direct drive transmission.

I'd look at a volvo D13, 485 hp, volvo I-shift overdrive, 22.5LP tires(or super singles) and probably 3.55 gears, depending on how fast you wanted to go.

does idrive=automatic?

dieselmanic 08-18-2008 04:32 AM

with all due respect to allan5oh, i don't believe that gearing combo would work, much less volvo's recommending it. all the heavy haul trucks i've been around always use 18's and 3.90's and up for gearing. it has to do with start-up from standing stop. it takes alot to get things going when you're that heavy, not to mention hills and etc. :)

mudpuddle 08-20-2008 08:56 PM

If you are going to be over 100,000 lbs very often you will need an eighteen speed and no less than 1850 torque. You would destroy your clutch and driveline with a light setup pulling those weights unless you run on flat ground. I seriously doubt any manufacturer would recommend an auto trans for heavy haul. It is about startability, You will find yourself using all the splits on the low side with an eighteen if you are trying to get 120,000 lbs moving on a steep hill.

gladman 08-21-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpuddle
If you are going to be over 100,000 lbs very often you will need an eighteen speed and no less than 1850 torque. You would destroy your clutch and driveline with a light setup pulling those weights unless you run on flat ground. I seriously doubt any manufacturer would recommend an auto trans for heavy haul. It is about startability, You will find yourself using all the splits on the low side with an eighteen if you are trying to get 120,000 lbs moving on a steep hill.

I was told I also need a double framed heavy spec truck. Does this sound right?

Mackman 08-21-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladman
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpuddle

I was told I also need a double framed heavy spec truck. Does this sound right?

Yes dont go cheap cuz it will come back to get you pulling heavy loads.