Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Load Boards (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35029-load-boards.html)

rgarthman1969 08-15-2008 12:56 PM

Load Boards

I have found alot of information on load boards on here. I have been searching loads on getloaded demo site and once in a while they will post $$$$ for that load. Most equals out to be around $2.00 a mile. Does this include FSC and tarp pay?

GMAN 08-15-2008 02:45 PM

If they post a rate it is usually all inclusive. That doesn't mean that there isn't some room for negotiation. Rates have been off for the last couple of weeks. They should pick up more as soon as produce gets moving again. Most brokers seem to be moving loads at or below $2/mile right now. One of the higher rates I have been quoted this week was $2.50/mile. Not enough for where those loads were going. :?

dieselmanic 08-15-2008 03:20 PM

you're not kidding that rates are off! :x fuel prices drop a little bit and every broker seems to think they can chop the rates paid to the truck. :evil: i've had brokers tell me that shippers are responsible for the reduced rates :? but as usual i find that hard to believe. :roll:

rgarthman1969 08-15-2008 03:57 PM

I guess all the boards are the same. Getloaded, Internet Truckstop, Members Edge along with the other 100 load boards. I think that the only way to ge the best rate is to work directly with the shipper.

GMAN 08-15-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselmanic
you're not kidding that rates are off! :x fuel prices drop a little bit and every broker seems to think they can chop the rates paid to the truck. :evil: i've had brokers tell me that shippers are responsible for the reduced rates :? but as usual i find that hard to believe. :roll:

Brokers have been having to pay much more to move loads for the last couple of months. When the fuel drops a few pennies they think that they can push the rates down quickly and make a tidy extra profit at the carriers expense. Many of these brokers have contracts with shippers which means that the rates are not going to drop that much with fuel still being high. Shortly, reefers will be taken out of the mix with them starting to haul produce. This will allow more room for negotiation to get the loads moved. I still keep my rates up. A few cents drop in fuel prices don't impact the rate I charge. It is rather amusing when a broker quotes me a low rate when I come back and tell them what WE charge for those areas. They are apparently not accustomed to carriers telling them what it will take for them to move their trucks. Of course, I have been doing this for some time and those whom I have dealt know that I won't haul cheap freight. I don't make it a secret as to what I will charge to go to a specific area. I also charge to tarp loads. Some don't want to pay the extra, but if they want me to haul the load they will either pay the tarp charge or find someone else who will tarp for free. It is amazing how many people who will give their time and services away. I pay my drivers well. The only way that I can do that is to charge a fair rate. If you plan on staying in business you better be charging a decent rate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarthman1969
I guess all the boards are the same. Getloaded, Internet Truckstop, Members Edge along with the other 100 load boards. I think that the only way to ge the best rate is to work directly with the shipper.

I think that getloaded and internettruckstop are better than some of the others that I have checked. Not all load boards have all of the same loads. As far as working directly with shippers, you can often get better rates, but not always. In fact, some shippers like to get independents to haul for less than the brokers. I have gotten some good paying loads from some brokers. The key is in negotiating. The better your negotiating skills, the greater the rate you will be able to command. If you want to haul freight for $1.20/mile you will have brokers beating your door down. Of course, you will be broke in a short time, but until you lose everything you own, you will stay busy and the brokers will love you. :roll:

NotSteve 08-15-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarthman1969
I think that the only way to ge the best rate is to work directly with the shipper.

Shippers are not stupid either. They are not going to pay $3.00 per mile when they know there are plenty that will do it for much less.

Most shippers will not deal directly with a carrier. Too much trouble. Easier for them to call a broker and be done with it.

Call up a few companies in your area and you will find out real quick.
Just ask for logistics.

rgarthman1969 08-15-2008 04:49 PM

So there is noway to cut the middle man out. So love them or hate them, its just like a marriage. :lol:

NotSteve 08-15-2008 05:09 PM

You may get lucky but in reality that's the way it is. If you had a small fleet of trucks you could possibly land a steady contract with a shipper for good money but a one truck operation is pretty much going to get close the same rate with a broker or shipper.

I know of a few people on here that have been hauling for many many many years. I also know they have a few shippers but that only accounts for maybe 5% of their loads. The rest come from brokers off the load boards. They may get a shipper load going out but getting back they are at the mercy of the wicked load boards.

And by the way. You won't see them posting what the haul for. The old timers are smarter then that. They will lead you to believe they must be getting really big bucks. Let me clue you in pal.

Like I said above, there is something really really simple for you to try and you don't even have to be a carrier to find out. Start calling the logistics department in businesses in your area and see what you get???? Most will not deal with a carrier and the rest will already know what to offer you minus the brokers commission.

GMAN 08-15-2008 05:22 PM

The problem the small carrier has is capacity. If you want to deal directly with shippers then you need to find smaller shippers who will deal with independents. The larger shippers seem to prefer either brokers or larger carriers who have access to the capacity. For instance, you may have one shipper who has 20 loads a week. A single truck operation simply cannot handle the capacity. The shipper will need to make numerous calls to get the loads covered by small carriers or independents when he can make a single call to a broker or large carrier and accomplish the same thing. It is a mixed bag dealing directly with shippers. There are some shippers who will attempt to take up to 1/3 of the line-haul rate when they find a truck directly. I have one shipper who did this. They wanted me to discount my rates so that they could stick the difference in their pockets. I refuse to do business with unethical people. That practice is unethical and I won't participate. I was getting from $2.50-3.00 or more per mile with this shipper. That was when fuel was about 1/2 what it is now. He found truckers who would haul these same loads from $1.40-1.70/mile. I might still be able to do business with him, but have no desire after he started this practice. He called it "brokering" his own loads. He started this when he turned over some of his shipments over to ICCI or one of the large cheap brokers and found out what they were paying trucks to haul their loads. I don't think that I have hauled a load for this shipper since last year. I had one broker who called me to haul one of these loads from a different shipper (same product) who tried to get me to take one for $1.50. :roll:

NotSteve 08-15-2008 05:24 PM

Ya, what the Blue Avenger said exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rgarthman1969 08-15-2008 05:29 PM

Thanks fellas. I am not ready to work off of load boards yet, I still have about a year or so to go. I am just trying to make a business plan for the future. All the information that all you have given me is priceless. Thanks again for everything.

NotSteve 08-15-2008 05:35 PM

I've been on the boards all day today and the best I could do was $1.83 to California. Most everything else was $1.60 to $1.70.

Keep in mind these are long distance loads. There are plenty going 500 or so miles for well over $2.00 per mile. It's a tradeoff that everyone needs to pick. More money for shorter runs, lots of traffic, lots of work and usually the SH** holes of America.

Or.

Cheaper rates, 5 days of nothing but driving in the wide open West.

Many arm chair drivers including myself before I started now have come down to reality.

tribal 08-15-2008 05:46 PM

Something we all should know;

In surfing around this morning I found that there is software for brokers out there that allow them to post on many boards at once. I figured as much and got my answer. This is why if you are not on the ball first thing or a day in advance, the load is covered.
GMans advice is solid. I have been an independent o/o and found it takes a lot of time and planning to get set up with brokers and shippers who you can trust will provide you with quality loads. Calling around to shippers if you don't have multiple trucks available is a waist of time for you and them.
The best idea is to deal with a select group of brokers and stay within their lanes so they can expect you in an area(s) and they will call. I had mine prior to leaving the business and now that I am back in, they remember me and are more than happy to help me out.
my 2cents..
tribal

NotSteve 08-15-2008 05:50 PM

Re: Something we all should know;

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribal
The best idea is to deal with a select group of brokers and stay within their lanes so they can expect you in an area(s) and they will call. I had mine prior to leaving the business and now that I am back in, they remember me and are more than happy to help me out.
my 2cents..
tribal

I must say, you and Blue Man hit the nail on the head

Grumman 08-16-2008 02:20 AM

The best way to avoid all this is to define a traffic lane you will run in. Market to shippers at each end and bill retail rates. As many shippers will not deal with a one or few truck fleet you need to become a broker also so that you may broker out the excess loads you will be asked to move. Your truck(s) stays in the lane maximizing profit both ways. The loads that go outside your system you broker out. Avoid brokers by becoming one!

If you are determined to continue to use brokers and work for wholesale rates then you might benefit from developing an email notification system in that you send out your truck availability to 20 of your favorite brokers. This prevents you from making too many phones calls. I have a friend that does this and he doesn't have to look on load boards for his truck. He is in the process of getting his retail customers online and will be able to benefit from a dual income stream shortly.

GMAN 08-16-2008 03:22 AM

You are not always going to get wholesale rates from brokers. Sometimes you can get a better rate from a broker than dealing with a shipper direct. You can't use a cookie cutter approach with this. There is some merit to some of what you say, Grumman. But you need to understand that it also takes a while to build a reputation as a broker. Some carriers and factors won't do business until you have been in business for at least a year or more. I am one of those carriers. If a broker hasn't been in business for at least a year I won't do business with them except as a prepaid or COD account. If it is COD the load doesn't come off the trailer until I have a check in hand. With COD's from a new broker that usually means a Comcheck or similar guaranteed payment. That can get a bit pricey for a new broker. Some shippers will wait longer to pay a broker than they will pay a carrier. To tell you the truth, that is another reason some shippers prefer doing business with brokers over carriers, especially smaller ones.

Grumman 08-16-2008 03:18 PM

A retail rate is defined as a rate that is directly billed to the shipper (the one paying for the move, could be the consignor, consignee, or neither). A wholesale rate would be a retail rate minus the brokers commission. If you contract with a broker you will never actually be hauling for a "retail" rate. The terms "retail" and "wholesale" only serve to understand the billing. You could be running for a broker under a termed "wholesale rate" and actually be making what you would term a good retail rate. Their are brokers out there that are fair and pay much than most truckers would think. You don't typically find these on the load boards. You are very correct on the fear of new brokers. Although all brokers must carry a surety bond, the chances of being able to file on that are so difficult. So most carriers will want a comcheck until you build up enough business that the factoring companies will feel comfortable with you. A good broker knows that the carrier butters his bread. Without the trucks the product surely will not move. It helps to have been a trucker before brokering. You know what it takes to move a truck down the road. The non asset based brokers that just came from the mortgage industry do themselves and everyone else by constantly saying they can do it cheaper. They came into the industry thinking they would make such huge profits and the next thing they know the customers freight didn't move, or the truck didn't get paid, and then everyone has a bad taste of brokers.

GMAN 08-16-2008 03:42 PM

I have had a lot of new brokers call me this year. Some work for larger brokerage companies. You can tell they are inexperienced in a few minutes. I had a guy call me the other day about a load. I asked him what the load paid. He told me that it paid "real good." I asked him the rate. He told me something like $2.10 for New England. He about swallowed his teeth when I told him that we have been getting at least $4/mile for the same legal loads. These people get into this business without doing any research. They don't know what shippers are willing to pay or what carriers are charging. I don't care if someone doesn't want to pay my rate for New England. I don't really want to go there anyway. If they do, then I will probably take it, but if not, that is OK by me.

I have been thinking about buying some vans lately. Since I don't like to jump in without checking out rates, I spoke with a few brokers. One told me that rates were not as good as flats but he has been getting some good rates going into New England from the Southeast. I asked him about it and he told me that he has been booking van loads into that area for around $1.65-1.80. :shock: Unless I can get better rates or fuel comes down dramatically, I won't be buying any vans.

You can complain about the cheap rates brokers are paying if you want, but it is the CARRIER who determines the rate. If a carrier takes a load for $1.80 then he has set the rate. If he takes it at $4, then he is also setting the rate. I don't have big equipment payments so I can afford to pass on a load. If you have big equipment payments you should pass on a cheap load. I see no point in hauling a load that I can't make any money. It defeats the purpose of running a business. You can either decide to run your business or allow others to run it for you. If fuel continues to decline it will become more difficult to command the higher rates. The more carriers who go out of business the better for the industry. It will reduce capacity and force rates upward. We seem to still have an over capacity. It may be that it only appears that way due to all the cheap freight haulers who are still with us.

NotSteve 08-16-2008 04:03 PM

$4.00 per mile. I'm calling MAJOR BS on that one!!!!!!!!!!

Be more specific. Maybe for a 200 mile run but your leading people to believe you get those rates AND YOU DON'T. I know for a FACT first freaking hand!!!!! GEEZUS Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm calling you out. Get me a load going lets say 1,500+ miles for $4.00 per mile, legal load on Monday and I'll give you half the money.

GMAN 08-16-2008 04:19 PM

Some of those loads originated in Tennessee, about 92 miles from the house and delivered either near Boston or near the Connecticut/Massachusetts line. One was about 20 miles from I-84. I don't recall the exact miles but they were around 800 or so miles.

I don't have anything to prove, Steve. You can either believe it or not. If you don't ask then you will never get the better rates. I am a pretty good negotiator. If I don't get my rate then I don't take the load. This is the main reason why I usually don't post my rates. You don't have to take cheap rates to move your truck.

GMAN 08-16-2008 04:47 PM

By the way, Steve. I took either 3 or 4 loads into that area in the last 2 1/2 months for that rate. One was almost $5/mile but the miles were shorter. I picked up south of Scranton and took it over to Connecticut. The broker could not get anyone to go to those areas and I held my price. Frankly, I didn't want to go and I allowed him to persuade me with the higher rate. :wink:

I will go almost anywhere that I can get a decent rate. Everyone wants to run the West. That is the main reason rates are so cheap in that area. Rates in New England are higher (or should be higher) due to people not wanting to go to that area. The last couple of weeks the rates for New England as well as a lot of other places have gone way down. Still, I won't run in New England for less as long as fuel is high. With tolls and the deadhead out, it isn't worth it. I would not run the West Coast for less than $2.50-3/mile, minimum until fuel drops dramatically. There is a good chance that I won't get it. There are too many owner operators and carriers who are willing to haul it for next to nothing. That is also fine with me. I will stick with the East coast and make more money. Less wear and tear on my equipment, cheaper fuel and higher rates. It works for me.

Sometimes it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

GMAN 08-16-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve

Be more specific. Maybe for a 200 mile run but your leading people to believe you get those rates AND YOU DON'T. I know for a FACT first freaking hand!!!!! GEEZUS Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm calling you out. Get me a load going lets say 1,500+ miles for $4.00 per mile, legal load on Monday and I'll give you half the money.

You don't really know what rates I have been getting, Steve. You are probably not going to get those rates where you want to run. When you have a specific area where you want to run, then you will usually sacrifice rates. If you were to run where I do, then you would probably be getting better rates. If you want to make money in this business, you have to follow the rates. Rates have always been cheaper running back and forth from the East to West Coast. That is the main reason why I am no longer running the left coast. I prefer making money to sightseeing.

merrick4 08-16-2008 10:27 PM

We actually got a couple of loads from Michigan to Connecticut (about 800 miles) for $4.00 a mile. Those need to be the rates going there as the pay out is terrible. We deadheaded out actually.

GMAN 08-17-2008 12:49 AM

I agree, Merrick. I always count on deadheading out of New England. If something pops up then I may take it, provided the rate is decent. Unfortunately, that usually isn't the case. The first quarter of this year I took a couple of loads to Connecticut for $3.50/mile. I could have taken more at that same rate, but elected not to do it. Those loads came out of North Carolina. Remember those, Steve? You will NEVER get higher rates unless you have high expectations. You will NEVER be disappointed if you have LOW expectations. :wink:

arky 08-17-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Steve's calling out the Gman...lol.

Now that right there's funny, I don't care who ya are

I laughed so hard, I think I farted.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NotSteve 08-17-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arky
Quote:

Steve's calling out the Gman...lol.

Now that right there's funny, I don't care who ya are

I laughed so hard, I think I farted.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup, the offer still stands!

allan5oh 08-17-2008 07:39 AM

Quote:

I think that's the key right there.

GMAN 08-17-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
Quote:

I think that's the key right there.

Sorry, Steve. I don't think your heart could stand the stress of hauling for decent rates. I would not want to be responsible for your failing health. I am not your dispatcher. If you want to start getting better rates, you will need to change where you run. Why should I give away half the rate? Those we hauled for $3.50 required a side kit. Those we hauled for $4.00 didn't, but you only want to run to the left coast. At your age you may not be able to stand the shock to your system of getting good rates. Why run for $4/mile when you can get $1.83. As you know, you turned down loads that I could have gotten you several months ago for $3-3.50 coming out of the Southeast. That was before fuel went up so dramatically. You didn't want to run in that area. My philosophy is to run where the rates are best. If these people found out you would take their loads for $1.80 there would be no need to pay me and others $3.50-4.00.

trinitron 08-17-2008 12:23 PM

The rates are always lower east to west coast. You can gross big dollars because you can run big miles. But that doesn't make you any more profit. Expenses are higher , fuel is higher, you push those big winds going west and get lousy fuel mileage. Spend a lot of layover time, etc

Don't get me wrong, I like to run out west too, but profit per mile, the east is better. Exception is when they are short of reefers during produce spikes and there are some big baller rates off the west coast.

Evinrude 08-17-2008 12:31 PM

i've had brokers tell me that shippers are responsible for the reduced rates :? but as usual i find that hard to believe. :roll:[/quote]

The truth is, its the truckers are reducing the rate. There are way to many trucks and drivers for the amount of freight out there.

But the sign on the back of trailors say's WERE ALWAYS HIRING O/O's.

GMAN 08-17-2008 01:13 PM

The last couple of weeks there has been a hard push by brokers to bring rates down. I have been offered rates as low as $1.74/mile this week. That was going to the West Coast. :roll: Until carriers take control of the freight rates, brokers and shippers are going to keep pushing rates downward. When you give your labor and equipment away at bargain basement rates, there is no need for them to pay more. If you think brokers are not getting better rates, you need to think again. Some have annual contracts with shippers. Some of them are getting well off the backs of carriers and owner operators. The best thing that could happen for the trucking industry is for fuel to go up significantly. It may sound crazy, but when fuel goes up it gets rid of more trucks. When that happens rates go up due to decreased capacity.

Evinrude 08-17-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

The best thing that could happen for the trucking industry is for fuel to go up significantly. It may sound crazy, but when fuel goes up it gets rid of more trucks. When that happens rates go up due to decreased capacity.
[/quote]

Or drivers educate them-self of the effect to there bottom line when they participate in the Companies driver training program.

rgarthman1969 08-17-2008 01:20 PM

I understand that. Supply vs. demand.

Grumman 08-17-2008 04:40 PM

Supply vs. Demand

You know that is another thing many people do not look into when they are talking about rates. A trucker is in LA on a Friday. A broker calls on his posted truck and offers him 1.50 / mile on his van. He is inclined to take it because he is scared of sitting all weekend and wants to get home to the east coast. If the trucker would have looked at the supply and demand of the day he might have found he had the last van in LA and there where 500 loads posted. He could have gotten much more from that broker.

Now that was an example only and is probably not the case in LA on Fridays. The exercise to be learned is what is the supply versus demand where you are and where you intend on going. It may change by the day, week, season, or never. The key is finding a profitable lane and sticking with it.

When you go across the country you are competing with the railroads. Right now a lot of companies are going intermodal domestically when containers are available. With fuel being what it is, intermodal is half what a truck would be. Intermodal prices on the east coast are not competitve against trucks. You can often find a truck cheaper in that corridor.

GMAN 08-17-2008 05:07 PM

If owners and drivers were more patient they could get much better rates. Some will take the first load offered whether they make money on it or not.

rgarthman1969 08-17-2008 05:19 PM

I just cant understand why someone would haul something for free or next to free just to get a load out of that place. DEADHEAD is not a bad thing to do. :D :wink: