Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   What to do when running brokered loads off load boards? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/34831-what-do-when-running-brokered-loads-off-load-boards.html)

GMAN 08-02-2008 03:56 AM

I have never had a broker to tell me that they needed to send the changed contract to their attorney for approval. Contracts need to be fair for both parties. I have had brokers to take exception to my changes. If they don't want to proceed after I make my changes then we don't do business. You need to be willing to walk away. If you don't read and fully understand a contract you should not sign it.

NotSteve 08-02-2008 07:04 AM

TMC and TQL would not allow the modified contract without their legal department approving the change when I first started.

I think it was either Doghouse or Merrick that posted he was having trouble getting people to accept his contract terms also.

charged 08-04-2008 01:52 AM

Thanks for all the help. My dad signed up for getloaded and is going to run on his own from now on. He got the load were transporting now and is looking for a load to get out of here tomorrow on ITS and get loaded. We just passed OOIDA on I-70. I'm going to see if he wants to be a member then check out the membersedge board tomorrow.

Rawlco 08-09-2008 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by NotSteve:
TMC and TQL would not allow the modified contract without their legal department approving the change when I first started.

TMC is very much a "take it or leave it" company. :lol: Or perhaps it is more of a "Take this or I will have to pass the buck" company.

Did you actually have the legal dept at TMC review your terms? Did they accept?

rank 08-09-2008 04:28 AM

The only brokers taht have ever tried to screw me were from QC.

NotSteve 08-09-2008 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rawlco:

TMC is very much a "take it or leave it" company. :lol: Or perhaps it is more of a "Take this or I will have to pass the buck" company.

Did you actually have the legal dept at TMC review your terms? Did they accept?

Most are take it or leave it. I didn't pursue the contract any further since the load would be booked by someone else and it didn't matter.

GMAN 08-09-2008 03:45 PM

The bottom line is that you don't want to sign a contract that contains language that you don't agree. I have had some tell me that it doesn't really matter and that what I read wasn't what they meant. That being the case then they should not mind if we make changes to clarify the terms. If it is in writing and you both agree then they can hold you to the terms.

GMAN 08-09-2008 03:53 PM

I think it was either Doghouse or Merrick that posted he was having trouble getting people to accept his contract terms also.

Bennett has a contract that I will not sign. I made a couple of minor changes and they would not agree to it. My changes regarded being able to haul for the same shipper through another broker. If I had agreed to their terms then I could be obligated to pay them I believe 25% of any revenue that came through any other broker. Since they would not accept my changes we don't do business with them. It is a pity that they feel that they can strong arm carriers to sign a contract with them that could come back and bite them. If I have any doubt about the terminology or wording I simply will not sign it unless it can be changed to be equitable.