Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Proper way to measure wheelbase (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/34384-proper-way-measure-wheelbase.html)

classictruckman 01-01-2010 09:29 PM

This is the truck I'm looking at:
2006 PM 80027+J1204 Knuckle Boom 80 ton/m - 110' vertical reach - on 2006 International Paystar Ta-Ta & 22' Deck | Boom Trucks : Concrete Pump Trucks : Knuckle Booms : Knuckle Boom Cranes : Crane Truck : BIK Hydraulics Ltd.

It has a 304" wheelbase according to the crane dealer, but I think they measured from the center of the front steer axle to the center of the dead area between the drive axles and I think they should of measured from the center of the dead area between the steer axles to the center of the dead area of the drive axles.

Kranky 01-02-2010 12:46 AM

Straight from the National Truck Equipment Association:

NTEA | Truck Equipment Glossary

Quote:

Wheelbase (WB) Horizontal dimension from the center line of the front axle to the center line of the rear axle on a single-rear-axle truck chassis; measured from the center line of the front axle to the center line mid-way between the axles on a tandem-rear-axle truck chassis.
:smokin:

classictruckman 01-02-2010 02:08 AM

That still doesn't answer my question, I'm concerned about the place to measure from on a front(steer) tandem axle. Look at the truck on the webpage I listed.

Kranky 01-02-2010 12:24 PM

I would say measure it the same way, from the centerline of the front steer axle to the midpoint between the drive tandems.

classictruckman 01-03-2010 01:05 AM

But would a tandem steer have a smaller turning radius than a truck withsingle steer, a similar wheel cut and wheel base?

Fredog 01-14-2010 03:38 PM

just fyi

If you are measuring the wheel base for weight, you measure from the
center of the first axle (tractor) to center of last axle (trailer) and round the number up or
down to the nearest foot. Example; 65'7" would be 66 feet and 65'5" would be
65 feet.

Thanks for the question. Hope this helps.

Sr. Trooper Monty Dial (Ret.)
Ol’ Blue, USA

P.O. Box 4444
Van Nuys, CA 91412-4444

Kranky 01-16-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 472671)
If you are measuring the wheel base for weight, you measure from the
center of the first axle (tractor) to center of last axle (trailer) and round the number up or
down to the nearest foot. Example; 65'7" would be 66 feet and 65'5" would be
65 feet.

Thanks for the question. Hope this helps.

Sr. Trooper Monty Dial (Ret.)
Ol’ Blue, USA
P.O. Box 4444
Van Nuys, CA 91412-4444

That's not wheelbase, that's "spread" for calculating permissible axle weights and GVW or GCW.

classictruckman 01-18-2010 02:43 PM

I'm just wondering if it would be better to buy a tridrive or a tandem-tandem, I don't do much highway driving(spend more time on cottage roads meant for cars) so manuverability is very important to me and if a tandem-tandem steers tighter because the wheelbase is actually shorter then that would likely be the better truck.

classictruckman 01-22-2010 02:04 PM

Which one of these trucks do you guys think would be easier to drive through downtown traffic, backroads, cottage roads, logging roads and other tight places?

NEW ELLIOTT 50105 NEW 2009 WESTERN STAR TRI-DRIVE, C-15 CAT, 18 SPD | Boom Trucks : Concrete Pump Trucks : Knuckle Booms : Knuckle Boom Cranes : Crane Truck : BIK Hydraulics Ltd.

OR

NEW ELLIOTT 50105 NEW 2009 WESTERN STAR T/A - T/A, C-15 CAT, 18 SPD. LOADED WITH ALL OPTIONS | Boom Trucks : Concrete Pump Trucks : Knuckle Booms : Knuckle Boom Cranes : Crane Truck : BIK Hydraulics Ltd.