Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Best O/O companies??? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/33847-best-o-o-companies.html)

muszka123 05-12-2008 01:01 PM

Best O/O companies???

Please could you advise which companies are best in each of your opinions - for pay and fair treatment - for owner ops with and without own trailer?
Thanks,
Eva

GMAN 05-13-2008 12:08 AM

It depends on the type of freight you want to haul and whether you prefer a dispatcher or company that is agent based and you dispatch yourself. Some carriers are stronger in some areas of the country than others.

muszka123 05-13-2008 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
It depends on the type of freight you want to haul and whether you prefer a dispatcher or company that is agent based and you dispatch yourself. Some carriers are stronger in some areas of the country than others.

Thanks so much for the response GMAN.
I'm based outta Las Vegas, NV and want to run dry van no haz - longer the distance the better. Got a freighliner century 05, no trailer, own insurance and authority. Ideally want to do my own thing but need to be sure I'm gonna get paid....
Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

BigDiesel 05-13-2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muszka123
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN

Thanks so much for the response GMAN.
I'm based outta Las Vegas, NV and want to run dry van no haz - longer the distance the better. Got a freighliner century 05, no trailer, own insurance and authority. Ideally want to do my own thing but need to be sure I'm gonna get paid....
Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Do you have semblence of a business plan ??? Do you know your costs and at what point you become profitable ???

BanditsCousin 05-14-2008 07:08 AM

How long have you had your own authority and how many loads have you hauled under it? Also, how long have you been driving.

I hear Swift pays pretty well, and on time.
US Express has a pretty impressive o/o program as well. Might be worth checking into.

muszka123 05-14-2008 09:56 PM

I have just barely got my authority.
And yes, did have "semblance" of a business plan - which to cut to the chase fell through because the small carrier I was going to run with now tells me they haven't the loads to spare...oh well...hence I am shopping.

mike3fan 05-14-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
How long have you had your own authority and how many loads have you hauled under it? Also, how long have you been driving.

I hear Swift pays pretty well, and on time.
US Express has a pretty impressive o/o program as well. Might be worth checking into.

Why you leave out C.R. England? you got something against them?

Doghouse 05-15-2008 12:12 AM

muszka,
Get your own trailer and find some shippers, try to stay off the load boards.

emac130 07-01-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doghouse
muszka,

Why do you say stay away from load boards? How does one go about finding shippers?

Rev.Vassago 07-02-2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emac130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doghouse
muszka,

Why do you say stay away from load boards? How does one go about finding shippers?

By knocking on their doors and selling your services to them. DUH. :lol: