Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   fuel mileage test results (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/31148-fuel-mileage-test-results.html)

rank 12-09-2007 04:57 AM

fuel mileage test results

Truck News, a Canadian trucking rag reported results this month from an independent fuel mileage test on a track in Quebec.

1) Super singles on the drives and the trailer = 9.7%
2) Those areo wings that bolt to the underside of vans came in at ~7%
3) Boat tails were ~5%
4) There was an in-line fuel thingy the improved mileage by ~4%
5) Full fenders 1%

no_worries 12-09-2007 06:44 AM

I think I'm going to start experimenting with a few things in the new year.

dteam270 12-09-2007 01:36 PM

Is the in-line fuel thingy. the illusive turbo 3000. LOL

solo379 12-09-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries
I think I'm going to start experimenting with a few things in the new year.

That's good! But somehow, those "Canadian" numbers, don't seems to be real to me... :roll:
So, if your results would be half of what's posted, don't get disappointed! :wink:

no_worries 12-09-2007 05:16 PM

Don't worry solo, my decision has nothing to do with any Canuck studies :lol: Although, I give a lot more credence to much of their info than what comes out down here. With the relatively recent emphasis on fuel mileage, there has been a boom in new studies and technologies resulting in lots of new products. The problem is much of it doesn't go through sufficient testing to verify claims. I'm just going to do my own 8)

Actually, I believe all the numbers in rank's study except for the fuel line thing...I don't know about that one :lol:

Dispatch_This 12-09-2007 05:31 PM

Re: fuel mileage test results

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank

3) Boat tails were ~5%
5) Full fenders 1%

Numbers 2,3,5 effect the drag co-effecient so it would be interesting to know what the average test MPH was. If you run out west at 70+ then a savings of 12% or better is substantial for a relatively small investment.

solo379 12-09-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

I'm just going to do my own 8)

Let us know!
Tho, i still believer, that the most gain, could be achieved from the proper driving technique, I'm always open for the other options... 8)

no_worries 12-09-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Tho, i still believer, that the most gain, could be achieved from the proper driving technique...
I agree 100%. I've actually been doing some reading about the hydrogen systems. Not from anything related to trucking but hydrogen systems used on diesel engines in general. I'm thinking about trying one out. We'll see, they ain't cheap :lol:

rank 12-10-2007 05:10 AM

Re: fuel mileage test results

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dispatch_This
Quote:

Originally Posted by rank

3) Boat tails were ~5%
5) Full fenders 1%

Numbers 2,3,5 effect the drag co-effecient so it would be interesting to know what the average test MPH was. If you run out west at 70+ then a savings of 12% or better is substantial for a relatively small investment.

-Test track was the (7km concrete oval) Federal Government Transport. Canada facility in Blainville, Quebec.
-Test was done in October.
-Tests were 100km.
-Test conformed to SAE J1321 fuel consumption test procedure - type II
-Fuel line thingy was by a company called "Econoco" of St-Jerome, Quebec.

Sadly, no mention of the test speed.

rank 12-10-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:

I'm just going to do my own 8)

Let us know!
Tho, i still believer, that the most gain, could be achieved from the proper driving technique, I'm always open for the other options... 8)

Driving technique can save you much more than 10%.