Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Chinese/Triangle tires (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30753-chinese-triangle-tires.html)

gladman 11-16-2007 11:20 AM

Chinese/Triangle tires

I need 8 new rear tires, and am loooking at Chinese tires at 255$ ea. I talked to one fleet owner who has no problems with them on his trucks and trailers. The next guy I talk to says they wear out very quickly. It seems to be 50/50 with my informal poll.

Any recent real world experience out there? 80% of my driving is city.

GMAN 11-16-2007 11:40 AM

I tried some Chinese tires on my step deck. So far they seem to be wearing pretty well.

heavyhaulerss 11-16-2007 01:46 PM

Chinese/Triangle tires my tires are round. :lol: i wouldnt trust triangle tires. :lol: [/quote]

11-16-2007 05:20 PM

They have all been recalled because they contain lead in them and babies could get sick chewing on them.

allan5oh 11-16-2007 05:54 PM

Why not spend a little more on quality michelin tires?

They'll last much longer, and are worth more at trade in.

Some michelin tires have very low rolling resistance, very important today.

Sure you might save $100 per tire, but you're going to spend more then that on rolling resistance alone.

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...calculator.jsp

heavyhaulerss 11-16-2007 07:33 PM

They have all been recalled because they contain lead in them and babies could get sick chewing on them.

lead in tires ? and whose kid is chewing on them ? :lol:

GMAN 11-16-2007 11:40 PM

I have bought about every brand made in this country and I see little difference, if any, of the quality. My step deck came with U.S. made Generals. Every one of them had a strange wear pattern. The cheaper tires are not wearing the same. So far the wear is normal. I can buy the Chinese or Cooper tires for about $189/each for 255/22.5. I think that I paid about twice that for Bridgestones on national account. I don't think that I will get double the wear out of them. Some of these Chinese tires are made in partnership with U.S. and other tire manufacturers. The only noticeable difference is the name on the side of the tire. Tire companies won't stand behind their warranties, so I am for going with the least expensive. My suggestion is to give them a try to see how you like them.

heavyhaulerss 11-16-2007 11:52 PM

seems like whenever ya have a tire go bad on a name brand , they will say sorry not covered. or not a manufacturer defect. warranty as g-man said.. there really is not one. i will say that i bought 8 steelmark tires & so far so good with 93,000 mi on them. $2000 total paid installed vs quote from b.f. gr or firestone at $3,000. i did however go from kelly tires on steers to b.g. gr & the ride was sooo much better with the b.f.'s that i would not have beleived it if i didnt experience it myself.

Bobby 11-16-2007 11:54 PM

I bought tires from a Remmington distributor for over a decade and I've seen the same model tire made in the USA, UK, and China.
I didn't notice any real difference in any of them.

gladman 11-17-2007 01:00 AM

I did put Yokohama tires on the steers, but am leaning towards Triangles on the rears... with snow and ice coming, I've always thought a deep tread was more important than the name on the side. I've found a few more drivers running them for the last year, with no adverse effect.

rank 11-17-2007 04:14 AM

we have some of those triangles. no problems to report. Michelins do have a high trade in value though.Something like $100 vs. $25 IIRC?

person 11-17-2007 06:06 AM

The price of fuel and no one is talking about tires made for higher mpg but the MPG Man. Hmm. Good mpg equals cash. More cash than you'll save from cheap tires most likely. http://staging.michelintruck.com/mic...calculator.jsp

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...el-savings.jsp
This is about singles but it is also about rolling resistance. Some steers have less rolling resistance than others according to the manufacturer.

There was a deal in the news awhile back where Chinese tires were being recalled. Of course I don't remember anything more than that if I knew in the first place. Perhaps someone knows. I could find it.

btemefordboy 11-17-2007 11:23 AM

i was talking to a driver the other day he had linglongs chinese tires he gotten 90000 on his rear drives go with dayton u may get a few more miles they also have a good deep tread

special k 11-17-2007 06:01 PM

A friend of mine runs dumps that gross out at about 125,000 lbs He runs Triangle, Linglong,Hercules whatever he gets the best price on. All the cheap tires he's bought have never had a blow out yet. They might not last like a Michelin but they are also up to 200 dollars a tire cheaper to buy. If I was running local or doing something where you can wreck tires easily I'd be running cheap ass tires too.

allan5oh 11-17-2007 06:06 PM

Well tell me when you guys can get 250,000 miles out of a set of chinese steer tires.

GMAN 11-17-2007 07:26 PM

I have Double Coin on the drives on my International. They are 24.5's and I believe that I paid about $255 each. So far they have worn very well. They are made in China but as a joint venture with Michelin. I spoke with some people at International and they are supposed to be putting them on their new trucks. The tread is very thick. It reminds me of the Bridgestones, but at about 1/2 the price of a Bridgestone.

gcal 11-17-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth

rofl!!!! :lol:

beeiatch 11-19-2007 08:26 PM

You couldn't pay me to run Chinese tires on my rig. I run Bridgestones, I rather pay more and have a piece of mind, than run Chinese made tires, especially with all the Q/C problems they have lately.

I get my tires on the Bridestone National Tire account so they are not as much as retail.

Good luck with them.

Maniac 11-19-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

They are made in China but as a joint venture with Michelin

Read this

http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/new...?news_id=58502

You get what you pay for

Red Clay Rambler 11-20-2007 07:19 AM

"the look-alikes may not deliver the same grip or longevity of performance as an authentic Michelin tire."

GMAN 11-20-2007 01:50 PM

The problem with most of the major tire manufacturers is that they don't stand behind their product. I have tried most of the major brands and so far am doing at least as well with the off brand Chinese tires. There was a time when I would only run U.S. made tires. However, if they are not going to stand behind their tires, then I see no need to continue buying them when I can get something of comparable value for a much lower price. I can buy on Bridgestone National Tire Account, but can still do better with a local tire distributor and his private label tires. I am still in the testing stage on these tires, but so far they are doing well. I can't see spending $100-200 more for a tire which isn't any better than what I am currently using. My suggestion is to try them and judge for yourself.

Bandit102 11-21-2007 02:25 AM

I run Freestars on all my drives, all 3 trucks. I think they are FS-55's. Pay around $250 for them and get about 250k out of them, not bad for the price. NEVER had one blow out.

Tried Freestar steers on front axle of FL Classic and rear axle of spread.
60,000 on spread and about 85 on steers before they started shaking.

So, now I run Sumitomo steers on the truck and all 4 positions on the spread and am loving them. Of course, I think I pay like $295 each for the Sumitomo ST-738's.

brian 11-21-2007 03:10 AM

yokohama`s on my otr truck, yokohama`s on the heavy haul truck, yokohama`s on my flatbed and the lowboy and the 6 axle rgn and the 8 axle rgn.

the father in laws grain trucks and trailers get the cheapest tires I can find, even better if their used and cheap in his book :lol:

Dejanh 11-29-2007 09:30 PM

I can buy the Chinese or Cooper tires for about $189/each for 255/22.5. I

If you wouldnt mind sharing the info as to where in TN is that.

I just bought the trailer and am thinking about trying them on.
Have friends with these Freestar and LingLong tires, they say they are very good.

GMAN 11-30-2007 02:51 AM

I sent you an email with the info. I tried to post it earlier but something must have happened to it.