Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Slowwwly but Surely (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30705-slowwwly-but-surely.html)

RostyC 11-14-2007 08:13 PM

Thanks Sonny, yeah I realize it's a old truck. It's a start thats all, if things work out and I can upgrade in a year or so, I'd still like to keep it and maybe get it restored fully. never know one day it might look like this or it could look like this :lol:

person 11-14-2007 08:58 PM

Calculate the money in fuel you would save w/ a 7 mpg truck vs a 6 mpg truck. How many miles would it take you to pay the additional costs of buying the 7 mph truck? After you paid the difference it would continue to make you more money than the first. However, if you are seriously into doing a retro thing, this wouldn't apply of course.

Sonny Pruitt 11-14-2007 09:19 PM

as an ex owner of a 3406b
5 mpg is more like it
It will pull down a house though

pepe4158 11-14-2007 09:25 PM

Congts...when I was buying I did a lot of pricing in March, and you paid very close to auction prices I saw....just curious tho, wouldnt you say you are close to a rebuild time?....if not whats your oild pressure reading, do you use any oil, and whats an oil analysis tell you if your not going to rebuild it soon?

RostyC 11-14-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepe4158
Congts...when I was buying I did a lot of pricing in March, and you paid very close to auction prices I saw....just curious tho, wouldnt you say you are close to a rebuild time?....if not whats your oild pressure reading, do you use any oil, and whats an oil analysis tell you if your not going to rebuild it soon?

Thanks pepe.
It was overhauled at 500k,1 million, and 1.3 million. Rods and mains were done last year. Oil analysis was normal. I'll let ya know on the oil pressure, I haven't driven it enough to know it without looking.

pepe4158 11-14-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC
Quote:

Originally Posted by pepe4158

Thanks pepe.
It was overhauled at 500k,1 million, and 1.3 million. Rods and mains were done last year. Oil analysis was normal. I'll let ya know on the oil pressure, I haven't driven it enough to know it without looking.

Wooa nice buy dude with the overhauls...yeah I was wondering with that much power how it was holding together without an overhaul lol, yea missed your earlier post tho that you did state that...yeah only 200k ago...sweet.

LOAD IT 11-16-2007 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
If you stay local a 24 year old truck will make it
because you can always go home if something breaks
but remember that are parts on the truck that no one can see are
worn out or already broken
1.2 is a lot of miles
and the phrase "in frame" ...............well you get the idea
it may be in "great shape"
but its an old truck
and you have many hand grenades with their pin pulled on an old truck
you have to crawl under and look around constantlly
( on one of my trucks I just stopped looking so I would not have to fix anything)
and you will be constantly replacing stuff
doghouse note well too
you find out that all this $$$ put into the truck does not increase the value
you have to run it x more miles to "get your money back"
which seems like a never ending cycle
(no matter what you paid or put into it,what does the insurance co intend to pay you if is totaled?)

it goes with the old truck territory
I've been through it since 1978

They will know you by your first name at the Peterbilt dealer
good luck
and stop at the Church
and put some Holy Water in the Radiator

This post should be a sticky for buying an old truck. If you keep looking, repairs will be a never ending cycle and not only get to know Mr. Peterbilt by his first name but also all of the local Junkyards. Trucks take bucks and older trucks take even more bucks. I love those old Petes.