Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   From desk to own authority part 3 (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30303-desk-own-authority-part-3-a.html)

Orangetxguy 10-31-2007 02:12 AM

What the hay!! It must of rained and shrunk that parking lot!! I have never had a problem parking at Jubitz. 48 foot, 53 foot or Truck & a Pup.(4 axle truck-4axle trailer,75 feet).

Rank...that 12,000 pund load you found for Steve...was it a short partial or full load??

Couple 12,000 pound partials with it, would make a sweet return.

rank 10-31-2007 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Rank...that 12,000 pund load you found for Steve...was it a short partial or full load??

I hear ya but it was a full trailer priced like a partial LOL.

I think he got a better deal but let's wait for the update. :lol:

allan5oh 10-31-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank
I hear ya but it was a full trailer priced like a partial LOL.

Haha!

10-31-2007 06:40 AM

Yup, I'm loaded. I headed out right after talking to the broker. She said it was 2 20' containers weighing 45,000 but the scales said it was 22,000 so that was cool.

I only had enough time to load and hit the sack. It was 7:30 by the time I pulled over at the first rest area. 6:00 is my bed time.

So the Canadian Ranker came through with a decent paying load. I wonder where he'll send me next? :D

So either PM me or send me email with your address Rank and I'll send you your commission unless you have Paypal which I can do also. Better yet, if you have a fax machine I can scan in the money and fax it to you.

So I'm off to Wyoming near the beloved Rock Springs. I have a little over 800 miles to go and will do maybe 500 today and the rest the next day and deliver at 8:00am.

I'll tell ya one thing, if anyone wants to just waltz into the country undetected, Longview Port is the place in Washington. No security at all to speak of.

rank 10-31-2007 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
So the Canadian Ranker came through with a decent paying load. I wonder where he'll send me next? :D

NH by way of OH?

Delivering 0800 Thurs or Friday?

10-31-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

NH by way of OH?

Delivering 0800 Thurs or Friday?

Sounds OK to me. Delivering on Thursday morning. I'll be there when they open.

rank 10-31-2007 10:57 AM

LOL check your girl out.

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn....etect=&abc=abc

10-31-2007 01:13 PM

My poor baby. She's so misunderstood. She needs to come home to her trucker daddy and spend a little time in NH.

tootie04 10-31-2007 09:44 PM

Yep, we made it to Portland this AM and were unloaded and off to load in Eugene by 3pm. We are taking some crane stuff down to Phoenix AZ for Monday.....nice drive down I-5.....we already have the itenerary ready!! :lol:

We were hoping for a few days off in Portland :sad: but our freight god found a REALLY GOOD rate that we could not turn down.

Hopefully out of phoenix we can load back up to the Portland area.....I hope! :wink:

drive safe Steve and we will talk to ya soon....

tootie

11-01-2007 09:20 PM

Lets see, were did I leave off. Oh yea, it was a dark moon lite night and Paris was dressed to kill as usual. Oh wait, that was a dream during my nap.

Got up pretty early this morning and made my last leg to Fort Bridger Wyoming. There's a T/A there so I pulled in there, had some breakfast and still had a 3 hour wait before the 8am unload time. Went back to my truck and figured I would take a nap but couldn't sleep. Went outside to dump some trash and this pickup truck is coming at me. Come to find out it's the construction manager for whom I am delivering for.

The job site entrance is right next to the T/A and goes into the desert. He said he always rides through to see if anyone from his company is there with a load and he noticed me.

So, off we go into the desert on a dirt road for miles and miles and miles. Off in the distance I see a wind mill farm with at least 100 wind mills. I guess right in this area the wind starts around noon at 40mph and continues on until morning. He said it starts at 40mph and sometimes hits 80 mph and they all wear full face gear and paint ball goggles.

I unload my containers and back to the T/A. I sit around for a bit and the phone is ringing non stop from brokers. Keep in mind, this is the Rock Springs area which is normally bad. The rates were OK but I figure I'll try my negotiating skills. That didn't go well. Click, click, click is all I heard.

Then I get a call to haul some onions back to the east coast for a decent rate and say I'll take it. I get setup with the broker and head out to pick up the load. I only went 5 miles on the highway and the broker calls back and says the load was taken by someone else and the customer never bothered to tell the broker!!! Oh well, back to the T/A.

So now the phone isn't ringing anymore and that's that. I figure I'll stay there the night so I go inside to get something to eat. I find out the showers are all out of order for some reason. Well, screw that, hop in my truck and I head 40 miles down the road to Little America.

Then I get a call from one of my, lets say, female associates. Oh great, how come your weren't in that frame of mind when I was home...Dip stick, thanks for calling.

So I post my truck as available for tomorrow and see what happens. I have a broker at U.S. Express who has been following me. Brokers must be able to track individual drivers when they post there trucks. I have a feeling she will be able to come up with a load for me tomorrow.

I turned down a lot of loads this morning trying my hand at getting what I wanted and the rate. Not such a good idea. I don't want to be stuck here all weekend.

11-01-2007 09:35 PM

http://www.btiserver.com/steve/r69.jpg

allan5oh 11-01-2007 09:40 PM

That thing must've pulled pretty tough.

Our company has ONE container. A guy I know pulled it last week, he said the wind caught it like crazy.

mike3fan 11-01-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

I don't want to be stuck here all weekend.

And usually brokers know this,and that is why rates are low.

no_worries 11-02-2007 12:04 AM

Try inserting a TONU clause next time. At least you might make a few bucks off those canceled loads for your time. US Express brokering flatbed freight? Are they different than the trucking company US Xpress?

rank 11-02-2007 01:02 AM

So that's where those containers went. I suppose that's why it paid what it did....and because there's NOTHING out of there. I called all of my better paying brokers yesterday but none of them had anything in WY.

Sorry I couldn't beat the boards today...I had two trucks to get through customs then I had to make a delivery. I called the onion guys this AM. They didn't return my call.

Where's Jimmy Buffet playing? :)

11-02-2007 07:32 AM

The containers pulled really easy. The total weight was about 22,000 and there wasn't any wind to speak of the whole trip. I felt like I was driving a Van!!!!

And yes, it's U.S. Express the trucking company that I've done a bunch of loads for. They have paid me really well and they are also the ones that paid me a full rate to dead head out to pick up that scaffold load when they had me running back and forth. Maybe they don't have enough trucks, not sure but this one lady dispatcher always keeps her eye on me and where I am and tries to get me loaded if she can.

Having the load canceled was just one of those things and I'm not going to make a big deal about it. I really didn't feel like loading up so late in the day anyways and tarped onions are the worst.

The internet connection here at Little America is really bad. I can't believe they don't have WIFI here.

LOAD IT 11-02-2007 10:54 AM

Steve if you havent found anything, call 8005482500 Fox or 4063634544 Sapphire, both sell a lot of lumber and have loads WY back to civilization.

11-02-2007 11:19 AM

Ok, thanks LOAD IT. There are plenty of loads, just not paying that well. I'm going to give U.S. Express a chance then I'll probably take something to get out of here instead of sitting for the weekend.

BigDiesel 11-02-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Ok, thanks LOAD IT. There are plenty of loads, just not paying that well. I'm going to give U.S. Express a chance then I'll probably take something to get out of here instead of sitting for the weekend.

A great business decision..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

11-02-2007 09:07 PM

Well, I got a load from ICCI for a load of onions back to PA. It needed to be loaded up quick so I headed out right away. I was told the mileage was 1800 miles and the rate worked out ok. As I'm getting closer to the pick up point I type in Pittsburgh PA on my GPS and it's saying 2200 miles and still counting as I'm heading in the opposite direction to pick up the load.

I pull over and say what the Hell. I get out my calculator and my laptop and find out it's almost 2300 miles. I call the broker and ask to speak to the manager instead of the broker. I tell him and he's like, oh well, he made a mistake. I say WTF, you guys need to make good on this because it was working out to be like $1.10 a mile. He starts in on me and says I have an attitude and I say, no SH^&, you guys screwed up, you admit it and your not going to make good. He then tells me there are plenty of trucks that will haul it for that rate. I then tell him to shove a MAC truck up his butt. I got on to Internet Truck Stop and Getloaded and filed a negative report on them.

So then I get on the phone with U.S. Express and the lady I've been dealing with and she gets me 2 loads back to back and a real good rate on both the loads. I'm heading out in a bit to Oregon delivering farm equipment.

This is going to suck, it's an hour till my bed time and I still have to drive 20 miles to pick up and load and on top of it all, I didn't have my little snooze today.

no_worries 11-02-2007 10:02 PM

LOL, broker miles...gotta luv 'em :lol:

Ridge Runner 11-02-2007 10:37 PM

Steve, it sounds like you have a great contact at USX. She sounds like she has her ducks in a row. Don't be afraid to ask for a higher rate if needed. I promise you, she is making USXs' margin or she wouldn't be booking the load. Do you know what division she works in? I drove for an O/O leased to their Xpress Direct division. That division is VERY good at ferretting (sp) loads that HAVE to move ASAP. The best paying ones were with the smaller mom/pop operations. Most of those loads were in the 5 to 7 dollar per mile range. Yes, you read that right. $5.00 to $7.00 PER MILE!
The GREAT thing is most of these loads were over 1000 miles. The best one was a load from Macon, Ga. to Alvin, Tx. That one paid 7.25/mi.

rank 11-02-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

I'm heading out in a bit to Oregon delivering farm equipment..

Hey I know western US is not my lane, but isn't that the wrong way?

I know....anywhere but here. Just kidding good luck be safe.

GMAN 11-03-2007 12:37 AM

Steve, ICCI has a reputation for having cheap freight. They used to call me a lot but I would never haul any of their loads. They take a big chunk of the line haul when they book a load. According to one shipper I know, they take a minimum of 30%. My shipper checked them once. I make a point of checking the mileage before I commit to any load. Sometimes people make a mistake, but other times they just don't care. :x

tootie04 11-03-2007 12:52 AM

Where ya goin in OR??

well, everythig happens for a reason so maybe you just were not supposed to go there.

Be careful and we will talk to ya soon....

tootie

Rev.Vassago 11-03-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

I was told the mileage was 1800 miles and the rate worked out ok. As I'm getting closer to the pick up point I type in Pittsburgh PA on my GPS and it's saying 2200 miles and still counting as I'm heading in the opposite direction to pick up the load.

I pull over and say what the Hell. I get out my calculator and my laptop and find out it's almost 2300 miles.

Quote:

I then tell him to shove a MAC truck up his butt.
Such a businessman: doesn't confirm what he is told by a broker before accepting a load, and then whines about it after the fact. :roll:

11-03-2007 02:54 AM

Its so amazing to me each and every time i read Steve's very entertaining thread that some people just absolutely can not stand that this guy is doing something he legitimately enjoys doing without losing money. There are 2 or 3 people on this board with superiority complexes as businessmen so big that I cant beleive they can fit themselves in their trucks. Get over it. Steve is doing something he realy is enjoying doing and apparently living comfortably and making a profit. Why does this bother people so bad? Dont be mad because you dont enjoy your job. Dont be mad because he doesnt do business like you. There are alot of successful businesses and business people that would not be out there if they did stuff like everyone else. Just from reading all of steves posts over time, he also seems like the kind of guy that even if he ends up failing, he would probably rather be a crappy businessman rather than just a plain crappy person with a shitty attitude like a few of you.

I say keep doing what you are doing and keep posting, I for one have enjoyed following your adventures and your story.

tootie04 11-03-2007 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
Its so amazing to me each and every time i read Steve's very entertaining thread that some people just absolutely can not stand that this guy is doing something he legitimately enjoys doing without losing money. There are 2 or 3 people on this board with superiority complexes as businessmen so big that I cant beleive they can fit themselves in their trucks. Get over it. Steve is doing something he realy is enjoying doing and apparently living comfortably and making a profit. Why does this bother people so bad? Dont be mad because you dont enjoy your job. Dont be mad because he doesnt do business like you. There are alot of successful businesses and business people that would not be out there if they did stuff like everyone else. Just from reading all of steves posts over time, he also seems like the kind of guy that even if he ends up failing, he would probably rather be a crappy businessman rather than just a plain crappy person with a shitty attitude like a few of you.

I say keep doing what you are doing and keep posting, I for one have enjoyed following your adventures and your story.

AMEN!! :P

BigDiesel 11-03-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagerbomber

Where does one begin..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

For one, Stevie has no idea what his cpm is, or even, what if any profit he makes. He has no clue and has even stated so.... Keep reading, and I along with others will point out the glaring errors so that others who wish to become an O/O will not mimic his hobby.

To be successful in this biz, one has to completely comprehend all aspects of their business, Not just think you are making money beacause you have a few dollars in your pocket and a couple of checks waiting for you when you get home.

One also needs stick with a particular aspect such as flatbeding (which stevie has), HHG, Reefer, OD/OS etc... and become the best in that arena. Don't jump around hauling one thing then get bored and try to specialize in something else etc.... This will get one nowhere.

Colin 11-03-2007 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel

For one, Stevie has no idea what his cpm is, or even, what if any profit he makes. He has no clue and has even stated so.... Keep reading, and I along with others will point out the glaring errors so that others who wish to become an O/O will not mimic his hobby.

To be successful in this biz, one has to completely comprehend all aspects of their business, Not just think you are making money beacause you have a few dollars in your pocket and a couple of checks waiting for you when you get home.

One also needs stick with a particular aspect such as flatbeding (which stevie has), HHG, Reefer, OD/OS etc... and become the best in that arena. Don't jump around hauling one thing then get bored and try to specialize in something else etc.... This will get one nowhere.

Okay, BigDiesel, let me quote your 5 other posts from this thread and all of the help you've offered.

Quote:

Quote:

Thats easy to do with one of my Shippers !!! But you don't run reefer and you RELY on brokers for your " profitable " hobby.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

Stevie.... C'mon what are your rates from the Rose City... I don't know jack about flatbed, but I could get you and your tourist cheerleaders $2.00+FSC by opening the yellow pages..... Listen to the Rev, GMAN and even myself if you want to make real money.....

Quote:

Sigh...... Pro tourists and hobby truckers..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quote:

One has to remember that some hobby truckers, pro tourists, people who spend way to much on a truck and will never see a return their money, will never make any real money int his business........

Looks to me as if you're sniping and condescending, not pointing out errors that Steve is making. But that's okay. 5 posts and MAYBE the last one has any kind of help for someone just starting out.

BigDiesel 11-03-2007 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin
Quote:

Okay, BigDiesel, let me quote your 5 other posts from this thread and all of the help you've offered.

Quote:

Quote:

Thats easy to do with one of my Shippers !!! But you don't run reefer and you RELY on brokers for your " profitable " hobby.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

Stevie.... C'mon what are your rates from the Rose City... I don't know jack about flatbed, but I could get you and your tourist cheerleaders $2.00+FSC by opening the yellow pages..... Listen to the Rev, GMAN and even myself if you want to make real money.....

Quote:

Quote:

One has to remember that some hobby truckers, pro tourists, people who spend way to much on a truck and will never see a return their money, will never make any real money int his business........

Looks to me as if you're sniping and condescending, not pointing out errors that Steve is making. But that's okay. 5 posts and MAYBE the last one has any kind of help for someone just starting out.

You must be bored to go and look for posts.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin 11-03-2007 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You must be bored to go and look for posts.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

15 clicks (10 pages and 5 posts) took me all of 90 seconds. Lewis Black is easy to find at a glance.

Enough about me. How about some wisdom for all the noobs looking for help and not getting it from your posts?

rank 11-03-2007 04:40 AM

I understand the basis of the criticism. I have also criticized this aspect of Steve's ventures. However, after a year of sniping after what seems like every single post, I think it's been well established that his motives are not always driven by profit.

It does get old. Whaddya say, how about pointing this out after every second post LOL?

LOAD IT 11-03-2007 04:46 AM

Steve needs to post his year-end numbers so the guys not doing this for a hobby can decide to give up their golf clubs, race cars, harleys, crotch rockets, girlie bars or whatever trips their trigger and truck for a hobby like Steve. I am not Billy Big Rigger, but I live for trucking and I make my living with trucks, its not my hobby, but it is my passion. Trucks take bucks. Steve had bucks and I think he has made some bucks, but he should share. Those naysayers should share also.

Colin 11-03-2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

I understand the basis of the criticism. I have also criticized this aspect of Steve's ventures. However, after a year of sniping after what seems like every single post, I think it's been well established that his motives are not always driven by profit.

It does get old. Whaddya say, how about pointing this out after every second post LOL?

Lets be clear. I'm not here to defend Steve. I'm sure he can do that himself if he feels the need.

Someone who constantly needs to point out another person's bad decisions needs to play a better match of point | counterpoint.

"That's bad." >>>

"This is good." <<<

8)

rank 11-03-2007 04:49 AM

Good timing Loadit. My year end was Oct 31.

merrick4 11-03-2007 05:54 AM

If I can ever make it home, I am going to meet with an accountant and then I'll post my numbers.

I figured it out I had $22,000 of revenue in October (including the load I'm on now as I picked it up in October) but I know that number is meaningless without the mileage and fuel spent.

I have now printed out a calender and put my fuel purchases and revenue there so it will be easier to see at a glance.

By the way, what would good revenue per month for a reefer? So far I don't see the added value of buying this thing especially as this guy had me hauling produce for $1.30 a mile.

11-03-2007 09:55 AM

GMAN, your right. Just another mistake I made that I won't make again for not checking the miles. TMC does this also and when I did a little research I found that if I draw a straight line in Streets and Maps from the start to the finish, that's how they are quoting the miles. Internet Truck Stop said they may put my complaint under Bait and Switch. I guess that's why there credit rating is a C.

I didn't pick up the load yesterday. It was 6:30 my time and the company was having a problem with the poop spreader that I was to deliver. 6:00 is my bed time and due to all the stress of the day I was ready to pass out. They said no problem and are hoping to get someone to come in today to load me up. I normally get up at 1am but slept until 5 this morning!!!

I had a long talk with the USX person yesterday and she has 9 independent drivers that she deals with who take up the slack when their trucks cannot. She said there are a few of them who does this. She's pretty cool in that she won't send me to an area and just leave me without something coming out. She gave me many options yesterday including going to Miami then paying a lower rate to dead head out of Florida to pick up another load. I decided to wait for the Oregon load.

I'm at the Flying J in Ogden UT right now and it's a pretty nice place with good phone and internet connection so I'm happy. It's cold here right now, about 28 degrees. The one thing about the Rigmaster is that the instructions tell you to plug the block heater in when using the heat to create a load on the engine which will produce more heat. Sort of like your truck needing the idle to be higher or it doesn't put out any heat. I ended up buying a nice ceramic electric heater which puts the load on the engine and provides a ton more heat so that worked out great.

I mentioned in a maintenance thread that my radiator is leaking and needs to be replaced but that stopped leaking about 5 days ago so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm assuming a little piece of something plugged the hole??

I just added up my outstanding invoices and always seem to hover around $18,000 to $22,000 in money owed. That explains why I ended up having to have a lot more cash on hand when I started out.

I'm really not sure what my cost per mile is and would probably be depressed if I figured it out. (Have fun with that one guys). I had $28,000 in my account just sitting there before I bought the Rigmaster and trailer tires and that wasn't too long ago and I'm back to almost $26,000 again. I have enough money to rebuild my engine if need be and to sit for some time if anything were to come up.

I think I work enough by being out for at least 3 weeks at a time. The last time I was out was for 6 or 7 weeks. Maybe that's the key for my success in that I keep running. I don't really spend that much on the road other than fuel, water and eating out once in a while. I do like heading home and when I get close I can't wait to get there. I only last a few days at home and then get the bug to head out again.

My truck and trailer are in absolutely perfect condition and I spare no expense in fixing even the smallest things. I seem to be always upgrading or moving things around until I get it perfect in my mind. My latest thing was the air lines on the cat walk. I bought some real nice thick rubber ones this past summer and they are the cats meow for sure. They are all tie wrapped together real nice and neat but I had a problem with the pogo stick laying over in tight turns and not standing back up again. If I adjusted the slack too much or too little the lines would touch the cat walk which is illegal although every truck I see is doing this. I ended up buying one of those double spring things and hooking it to the old Qualcomm stand on the very top of my truck. Now the air lines are like 2 feet above my cat walk, perfect slack and it works awesome. I've jack knifed my truck in both directions and it's perfect.

I feel like there is no reason for my to analyze my cost per mile or break it down even further to my hourly wage. I'm very happy with the way things are going and the fact that my bank account is growing. To me, that's a good indication. I have the cash to fix anything major that could happen at the moment. I'll keep on the way I'm going and keep saving my money. I feel pretty good that I seem to have a personal broker getting me some good loads and the rate is always higher than what I expect or that I could come up with. Rank got me a good load by the way although the bastard won't give me his PayPal email address so I can pay him his commission.

Keep in mind all you people reading my thread, I'm single, no bills other than a $1,295 mortgage per month and the utilities which come out to pretty much nothing cause I'm not at home. I have car and motorcycle insurance and a ton of other things including taxes, liability and cargo truck insurance, tolls, internet, phone, cell, cable TV, health insurance, load boards and food. I do have a spreadsheet and with every single bill I have I have $1,360.62 left over every week. This figure does not include maintenance. I don't have to put money away in a separate envelope every week as I'm not the type of person to go blow all the money in my checking account on a new toy or something.

So, if your someone like Rank or others who have huge expenses like kids in college or a tourist trucker wife like Tootie who buys every ceramic Garfield Cat or nicknack under the sun then I'm sure this left over amount would get eaten up for sure.

For me, it works, I'm happy and most of all I'm having a lot of fun and really enjoy it. Beats doing math all day, I'll tell ya that.

trinitron 11-03-2007 11:21 AM

Your not permitted to enjoy what your doing and be satisfied with the money you make. It ruins the industry.

11-03-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinitron
Your not permitted to enjoy what your doing and be satisfied with the money you make. It ruins the industry.

Sort of like marriage?