Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   If you were thinking of getting a truck or own authority.... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30280-if-you-were-thinking-getting-truck-own-authority.html)

Sonny Pruitt 10-19-2007 02:19 AM

If you were thinking of getting a truck or own authority....

At fuel prices right now you will lose your shirt so fast you won't know what hit you.

A 10 mile mistake costs six dollars

allan5oh 10-19-2007 02:27 AM

That's if you drive a nice windcatcher 70+ mph with your big "kitty cat" engine.

That same 10 mile mistake would cost me $3.75.

I've averaged 7.8-8 mpg for several months now.

mike3fan 10-19-2007 02:36 AM

Re: If you were thinking of getting a truck or own authority

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
At fuel prices right now you will lose your shirt so fast you won't know what hit you.

A 10 mile mistake costs six dollars

If fuel prices are what makes you lose your shirt I think you maybe in the wrong buisness anyhow.

Sonny Pruitt 10-19-2007 02:38 AM

I am talking about new entries

allan5oh 10-19-2007 02:43 AM

Why would they?

Get on a good company that has a fuel surcharge based off the industry average of 6 mpg, and if they have a good truck they'll make more money when the price of fuel goes up.

mike3fan 10-19-2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
Why would they?

Get on a good company that has a fuel surcharge based off the industry average of 6 mpg, and if they have a good truck they'll make more money when the price of fuel goes up.

shhhhhhhh

Rev.Vassago 10-19-2007 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
I am talking about new entries

Why do new business owners have to get crappy rates? Why not start out at great rates, and not have to worry about fuel prices?

mudpuddle 10-19-2007 02:53 AM

Yep If you get 6.5 miles per gallon and your surcharge is based on 6 you should be doing a chant every night and praying for 10.00 per gallon. That is until you think of the impact that would have on freight.

Sonny Pruitt 10-19-2007 03:25 AM

You ever hear of the landstar line "it takes 6 months to learn the system"
Well guess how long it takes on your own

Surcharges are for loaded miles and dedheading or even bobtailing home is extremely expensive

Good paying loads like 3 per mile are not budging to raise their rates to compensate
Lower rates you can get up but you still lose a little more
They never cover all of the new fuel
But home run loads are not moving the bar
(or if you are canadian "in the house" loads are reluctant to raise rates)

other than that I guess everything is fine

allan5oh 10-19-2007 03:41 AM

$3 a mile shouldn't budge to compensate, there's more then enough profit to be had on those loads.

$1.50 loads should compensate, and I'm glad they do.