Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Tanker Yanker Coming Back (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/29027-tanker-yanker-coming-back.html)

GrayBeard 08-17-2007 02:29 AM

Tanker Yanker Coming Back

Hello to Everyone,

I am in the process of getting back into the tank business. I have been on the side lines due to being called back to active duty.

I spent my first few years driving company trucks and dragging a little bit of eveything until I settled on tankers. Made the jump to O/O in 95 pulling dump trailers in WV and then moving to FL dagging pnuematic tanks. I am used to being maxed out on weight with every load. Uncle Sam requested my services a short while ago, so I sold off my trucks and trailers. My time is now about up (JAN) and I am coming back.

I am starting now to get everything in place and ready to go. Never liked waiting around until the last minute to get things done. With that in mind, I woud like to request the assistance of other tank drivers on this forum.

First - Blackmer and Roper product pumps are the pumps to run. I can not remember the series for the Stainless Steel pumps. If someone could help me out with the series numbers I would be grateful. I want to run a 3" SS pump as you never have to worry about what they put in your tank. Also gets you loads that require SS.

Second - What happened to all the flat top sleepers? Everything I see out there is either a high rise or condo. I want to stay right at 12' to the top of my stacks as chemical plants make for some very tight manuevering and they tend to get upset when you bend their racks.

Finally - Not to start a big debate or cast dispersions; however I was always a Cummins and CAT man. I drove a few 92 Series Detroits and spent a few months with the 60 Series when they first came out. With fuel costs being by far the biggest expense, who is King of fuel economy these days?

Thanks to all in advance for your assistance. For those in the tanker business, I look forward to meeting you down the road.

Keep the rubber side down and be safe!

GMAN 08-17-2007 03:08 AM

Detroit used to seem to be the fuel mileage king. How you drive, what you haul and how the truck has as much to do with fuel mileage than anything. I consistently average about 6.29/mpg on a CAT. When I keep my speed down, I can sometimes do better.

GrayBeard 08-17-2007 04:13 AM

GMAN

Thank you for your reply. I recall the claim to fame of the 60 Series was the unheard of fuel mileage for the time.

My last truck had a CAT 3406E with a ten speed and 3.73 rears. I averaged 5.5 to 5.8 pmg. I thought it was decent mileage since that inluded the 30-45 minutes it took to pump 27 tons of powder (cement, flyash or lime).

Thank you again.

Maniac 08-17-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

I want to run a 3" SS pump

Last I checked a stainless 3" Blackmer (the ONLY manufacturer of stainless pumps)was around $6000, as opposed to an iron 3" Blackmer at $1000.

Since most carriers went to the pump charge included in the rate, running a stainless pump is a waste of money. And if anything will get you WORSE work.

Quote:

who is King of fuel economy these days?

Still up to the driver 8)

GrayBeard 08-18-2007 12:02 AM

Maniac,

Thanks for the information. Been a few years since I pulled chemicals.

mike3fan 08-18-2007 01:48 AM

I've only been running tanks since Dec.,but have'nt had any problems with height at all and my stacks are 12'6".

You will pay a premium for a flat top nowadays,all the rock haulers and hog haulers are buuying them all up.....lol

I run a Cat C15 with a 13 speed and 3.36 rears and get 6mpg avg.

As far as the pump goes,I didn't even know there was a difference....lol,guess there is not much need for a SS one?

Paul McGraw 08-18-2007 02:51 AM

Graybeard - Thank you for your service to our nation. None of us would have any freedom or security without guys like you! May God bless your efforts in returning to the civilian world.

I pull tanks for Superior Carriers.

No one that I know of at Superior has a SS pump, you certainly would not be paid extra for having one.

My truck has a 2006 Cummins ISX 450ST 10 speed and I get a very steady 6.20 MPG.

There are a lot of variables with fuel consumption. Running tanker you are going to be heavy most of the time, so I personally do not think buying a smaller engine like a Detroit Series 60 or Cummins ISM, etc. is really a good decision. Superior has the 12 litre ISM engines in their company trucks and they get about the same MPG as mine but without any decent pulling power.

Another major factor is the EPA changes. No one knows what the 2007 and later engines will do for sure, but a lot of folks are worried. The 2004 to 2006 engines with EGR valve do not do as well on fuel mileage as the 2003 and earlier engines.

If you can find one you like, a 2001 or 2002 Cat or Cummins without the EGR would probably be ideal, but everyone else also knows that so they are a bit more difficult to find at a good price, good condition and spe'd for an O/O, but some are out there.

Maniac 08-18-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

there is not much need for a SS one?

Every single load I EVER saw that had stainless pump on it was a "cluster"

Usually pharmaceuitcal or food grade, lots of waiting and very slow everything.

With the cost of stainless pumps and the rarity of them most companies like that have their own.

GrayBeard 08-19-2007 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
I've only been running tanks since Dec.,but have'nt had any problems with height at all and my stacks are 12'6".

You will pay a premium for a flat top nowadays,all the rock haulers and hog haulers are buuying them all up.....lol

I run a Cat C15 with a 13 speed and 3.36 rears and get 6mpg avg.

As far as the pump goes,I didn't even know there was a difference....lol,guess there is not much need for a SS one?

Mike,

Thanks for the information. It has been a while (1996) since I last pulled liquid tankers. I do remember the plants being designed to give you just enough room to get around. Some were worse than others. I can not remember whose plant it is, but the plant in Kingsport was a real bear.

I never cared much for Detroit, so it is nicet o see I can stay with Cummins or Cat.

I am more than happy to stick with an iron pump. BLUF, keeps more $$ in my pocket. That' what I like, $$ in my pockets.

Thanks again and be careful.

GrayBeard 08-19-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul McGraw
Graybeard - Thank you for your service to our nation. None of us would have any freedom or security without guys like you! May God bless your efforts in returning to the civilian world.

I pull tanks for Superior Carriers.

No one that I know of at Superior has a SS pump, you certainly would not be paid extra for having one.

My truck has a 2006 Cummins ISX 450ST 10 speed and I get a very steady 6.20 MPG.

There are a lot of variables with fuel consumption. Running tanker you are going to be heavy most of the time, so I personally do not think buying a smaller engine like a Detroit Series 60 or Cummins ISM, etc. is really a good decision. Superior has the 12 litre ISM engines in their company trucks and they get about the same MPG as mine but without any decent pulling power.

Another major factor is the EPA changes. No one knows what the 2007 and later engines will do for sure, but a lot of folks are worried. The 2004 to 2006 engines with EGR valve do not do as well on fuel mileage as the 2003 and earlier engines.

If you can find one you like, a 2001 or 2002 Cat or Cummins without the EGR would probably be ideal, but everyone else also knows that so they are a bit more difficult to find at a good price, good condition and spe'd for an O/O, but some are out there.

Paul,

Thank you for the kind words. It has been my pleasure to serve our Great Nation. My only regret is that at times I couldn't do more!

I have been looking at 03s and 04s. Thank you for the heads up on the EGR valve issue. My main concern is to find the best low mileage clean truck I can. There are only a few things I am not willing to consider, but that is for another time.

I would be interested to know what trucks other trank drivers are running and the specs. Also, what you would change?

Thanks for your help. Be careful and stay safe.