Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Desperately Need Help (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/28657-desperately-need-help.html)

trusonsinc 07-31-2007 04:03 PM

Desperately Need Help

I own a 2003 flt columbia. I have had the truck for the past six months and no work. I only have the tractor and no trailer. That's problem #1.

Problem #2: I don't have a CDL to drive the truck. I have a trusted driver but he only have 3 months of OTR expreicence.

Any suggestion on what to do. Completly STRESSED!!!!!!

Twilight Flyer 07-31-2007 04:15 PM

Why would you have a truck without a CDL? And if it's the fleet thing you are looking at, why get one with no driver and no accounts? 3 months of experience is as good as none at all.

Best advice you're going to get is to sell it, put together a solid business plan, line up your contacts (drivers & freight), and try again. Right now, you're in a no-win situation with no plan to succeed.

yoopr 07-31-2007 04:25 PM

Try contacting companies and lease on with them and odds are good they'll find a qualified driver to drive your truck.

trusonsinc 07-31-2007 05:28 PM

It was just a situation that fell into my lap and decided to jump on it and try my best. But I have been very unfortunate.

no_worries 07-31-2007 07:42 PM

Unfortunate has nothing to do with it :roll:

trusonsinc 07-31-2007 08:30 PM

Your right unfortunate don't have anything to do with it. That's why I am seeking advice.

Thanks so far and in advance.

furbis 08-01-2007 02:06 AM

I can relate in some ways with you, I bought a truck and leased to fedex ground and after getting all the paperwork done and approved 3 weeks ago I have still had no luck finding a team to put in the truck, but the truck is paid for and I have a substantial reserve account to keep my head above water until I find that team, also being leased to fedex as soon as I have that team in place they will start making me money immediatly. so my advise is if you have the time and money to wait on a driver and find loads then hang in there and realize running a business is rarely easy that is why most people are employees. on the other hand if you are out of money and have no plan I would sell the truck, read as much as you can on the subject ask a lot of ???? talk to other O/O and get a business plan in place and then try again after you have all your ducks in a row.

GMAN 08-01-2007 03:18 AM

I think you have 2 choices. You can lease the truck to a carrier and see if they can assist you in finding a qualified driver or you can sell the truck. From your posting, I assume that you are running your own authority? Some of the lower paying carriers may be willing to qualify your driver with only 3 months experience. Since you don't have a CDL or trailer, your options are rather limited. Good luck.

trusonsinc 08-01-2007 03:42 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Can anyone recomand a company in the Atlanta area to lease to?

GMAN 08-01-2007 03:51 PM

There are several companies who have terminals in and around Atlanta. Are you wanting regional, national or local? What type of freight do you want to pull? Do you want a carrier who pays percentage or mileage? A percentage carrier will usually take more of your time unless you have a good experienced driver who can run the truck, but that can be challenging, too.

trusonsinc 08-01-2007 03:58 PM

I go with national. I am open to the type of freight as I am trying to get my feet off the ground. Mileage is good. But If I have to go precentage I will. My driver only have 3 months otr.

pepe4158 08-01-2007 06:02 PM

Lol...% is actually better IMO, most of the big carrier will take you on AND find you a driver, they all pretty much all offer you the standard 115c per mile, and one hats as good as another :-p........can you make it on that?

N I'd love a carrier to make me a % offer....just havent found too many willing to do it that im familiar with.

henboy1 08-01-2007 11:08 PM

You are in my town

You are in a good freight town with many options and like many said you have no cdl and you might fail because of unreliable drivers in this industry etc...I came into trucking without even being a company driver.Never drove for a company and went out and bought a truck.If I were you, while trying to get my CDL I would go on http://atlanta.craigslist.org under transportation and either find a driver or a carrier.Most of them wouldn't take 3months experience and the only desperate ones in atlanta are the container companies in atlanta.R&N is good because all they do is haul container chasis(very light and nothing heavy)Stay away from the major carriers becasue they will not take 3 months.Either you go the container route or go with someone with their own authority who has a small fleet of trucks.They would be willing to give that driver a chance.Get your CDL because I have heard horror stories of gloves being dropped in a fuel tank after the driver got fired or minor things like the driver failed to drained the air tanks daily and contaminated the tranny with water.