Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   What are you doing to save fuel? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/26424-what-you-doing-save-fuel.html)

LOAD IT 04-20-2007 01:12 AM

What are you doing to save fuel?

Also are you getting fuel surcharge on all loads? When dealing with brokers, "its included in the rate" how much do you allocate for fuel surcharge?

rank 04-20-2007 01:51 AM

FSC doesn't exist for us. Our rates are "all in". As for saving fuel, the only thing we can do is reduce the out of route and dead miles as much as possible.

no_worries 04-20-2007 02:02 AM

I don't worry about a FSC. My quotes are based on my operating expenses which takes that day's fuel prices into consideration. I have yet to have a broker ask, "What about a fuel surcharge?" after I give them a quote :lol:

Dejanh 04-20-2007 02:20 AM

I dropped my ass to 65mph and not a mile more, difference is about 1/2mpg in savings and i aint going back, no sir ! :)

FSG is based on how many miles load covers, i take about a 100 extra compared to what i did in December when the fuel was 2.30-40pg...
Some wont even pay that :roll:

brian 04-20-2007 05:18 AM

I go on alot of vacations so my trucks dont move.

BigDiesel 04-20-2007 07:25 AM

The higher the fuel... the more I make. 8)

solo379 04-20-2007 02:43 PM

Re: What are you doing to save fuel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Also are you getting fuel surcharge on all loads?

Yes, if it doesn't have FSC, i don't move it. And those FSC covers more than a half of my fuel cost.
As of to conserving fuel, I've always was that way, even when fuel was for under a buck a gallon. Penny saved, is penny earned! :wink: 8)

BanditsCousin 04-22-2007 08:36 PM

I keep a close eye on my tire pressure, keep the trailer close to the cab, and use PrePass.

Brian's method is the most foolproof though, he knows how to save fuel the easy way :lol:

Teal 95 KW 04-22-2007 09:35 PM

[quote="BanditsCousin"] keep the trailer close to the cabquote]

Apparently you've never been to the "Jason School of Trucking the Cool Way"..

Rule #1.) You need atleast a 6 foot gap between the cab and the trailer

Not great on fuel, but the price of cool ain't cheap :)

Cam 04-23-2007 04:57 PM

FSC- Landstar pays a hodge podge. If the contract stipulates an fsc, we get 100%. I've got a load coming up paying 33cpm, wish I could tell you that is typical. What I find more often is the agents breaking an fsc out of the linehaul. With fuel at 2.80/gal, Landstar has been capping that around 20 cpm- not good!

I found a trucking show on XM that actually provides useful information. Some guy named Ken and I believe he is with American Truck Business Services, though I could be mistaken. Says he used to run steer tires on his drives for fuel economy which I find intriguing. I look at these deep lugs on my Bridgestones and I think, 'is that really necessary?' Any of you have experience running more of a 'road tire' on your drives?