Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Another question to gurus: Keeping track of your maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/26224-another-question-gurus-keeping-track-your-maintenance.html)

rainman 04-10-2007 12:50 AM

Another question to gurus: Keeping track of your maintenance

Greetings.
In the software program I am writing (see my website). I have a module that keeps track of the maintenance such as PM, grease, repairs tires and so on. You can record the cost, business name, work performed, warranty or not etc etc. But I do not have the reports written yet. Partly because am not clear on what reports one would want to be able to print out. I do not want to make 1,000 useless reports, rather two or three printouts that make sense.

If you would have it your way: What would you like to be able to print out (if at all) and what would you like to see on the maintenance report?

Thank you for your feedback.
See you on the road.

allan5oh 04-10-2007 12:53 AM

Date, mileage, type of service performed is required for motor carrier regulations. Once a month these must be submitted.

It would be nice if you could just submit a printout instead of having to write it down.

A more detailed sheet would be nice as well, but not necessary IMO.

rainman 04-10-2007 12:58 AM

So if you would select a date range and pull up all the maintenance records on all units and have it all summed up on one sheet. Would that be useful? It records date, mileage and service performed as well as location, name of the shop. Price. I do not suppose it is necessary to include the cost. DOT does not care how much you have paid, just to see that the work was preformed.

But then again. There is IRS and perhaps you want to claim that on your tax… Just brainfarting…

allan5oh 04-10-2007 01:00 AM

Yes once a month, I do not know exactly what the regs say so I don't know if you could include multiple units.

rainman 04-10-2007 01:05 AM

Well, that can be an option then. Personally I only have one truck and trailer and my dad got his setup, but some of my users run more then one unit.

On a different subject. Does toll affect your IFTA in anyway?

My company does the IFTA, I only submit the mileage in states. But on my IFTA settlement sheets I see a column for tolls. Does toll has any affect on tax?

GMAN 04-10-2007 01:50 AM

I believe the New York thruway is the only toll road which you can deduct from your IFTA. I rarely run the toll roads.

serbie 04-10-2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I believe the New York thruway is the only toll road which you can deduct from your IFTA. I rarely run the toll roads.

Is it just NY, or was it MA and NY???

GMAN 04-10-2007 02:21 AM

I thought it was both MA and NY at one time, but someone told me that it was only NY. Since I rarely deal with these toll roads, I don't know for sure. I haven't been on the NY thruway in years. I did run the MA a few months ago for a few miles, but didn't attempt to use the toll as a set off from my IFTA. I will just write it off of my Federal taxes. I seem to recall something on my quarterly IFTA filings which notes something about tolls or setting off some of the tax as long as you have documentation.

LOAD IT 04-19-2007 11:27 PM

Re: Another question to gurus: Keeping track of your mainten

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainman
Greetings.
In the software program I am writing (see my website). I have a module that keeps track of the maintenance such as PM, grease, repairs tires and so on. You can record the cost, business name, work performed, warranty or not etc etc. But I do not have the reports written yet. Partly because am not clear on what reports one would want to be able to print out. I do not want to make 1,000 useless reports, rather two or three printouts that make sense.

If you would have it your way: What would you like to be able to print out (if at all) and what would you like to see on the maintenance report?

Thank you for your feedback.
See you on the road.

What if the reports were written as repair orders and then could be sorted by certain criteia, ie: date, mileage, PM, work performed, etc?
AS-400 has something like this on the shop side. Talk to some mechanics also for more ideas, You are on to something here.

rainman 04-20-2007 12:00 AM

Huh. Not a bad idea.
technically, since all the data is stored in relational database I can sort it by any field.