Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Cash or loan for truck? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/26081-cash-loan-truck.html)

motomorph 04-03-2007 01:29 PM

Cash or loan for truck?

I have been driving for a few years now and would like to become an o/o. I have about $20k for a truck and I was wondering if I should buy my current boss' 1989 Western Star with a 3406B cat :D for $18K, which I have all service records for; Or should I put money down on a more aerodynamic newer truck? Western star has about 100k on rebuilt engine, new rubbers all the way around, new seats, and much more. Any info would be appreciated.

Truckdobe 04-03-2007 05:04 PM

I'd buy the Star; they're good trucks, it's got one of the best motors ever built and you know the truck. CASH is always the way to go. In '89 it may be geared a little slow, but they can get decent fuel mileage if driven properly.

tootie04 04-03-2007 06:23 PM

I would go for the star too....you know the truck and that is a real PLUS!! I dont know if I would spend all my capital on the truck though....do you have other money set aside on top of the 20K ??

tootie

Truckdobe 04-03-2007 06:32 PM

Everyone should always strive to have at least 3-6 mos of expense put away. Even more so if you have an income that fluctuates, but I'd still rather spend the cash on the truck, it's easier to put it back if you're not making payments and if anything happens and you are down you don't have that nagging payment to deal with.

As for the B model, having had Bs, Cs, Es and now an ACERT; the 'B' was/is the best by far. Our '87 is in the shop for frame off restoration right now, after driving her to the shop over the weekend I didn't even want to get back in and drive the '07 ACERT... love that B!

motomorph 04-03-2007 06:48 PM

I have about $60k but I need to buy a trailer, pay for insurance, plates, and all that good stuff.

Teal 95 KW 04-03-2007 10:35 PM

I've driven a couple of B model Cat's before, and I must say that I love my E model. ;) I don't care for the Acert's drove a few of those, and they are dogs, my little ole' "modded" 475 does what I ask of it, and has more than enough power on tap. I drove a fella's '86 359 with a b-model cat, 13 speed and what I believe to be a 3.70 rear gear, and it was overly touchy on the throttle and lacked pulling power big time. I guess it's about as simple as a plate of rice, so that's a plus.

Truckdobe 04-04-2007 01:47 PM

"overly touchy on the throttle".... I like that! That's what all of the engines since the 'B' have been missing; instant throttle response, I LOVE it!!!

No, out of the box no on-highway 'B's were built with enough HP to really compare to those of today, but a quick trip to a performance shop will fix that. Our last mechanical dyno'd 583 to the ground with very few changes and put out over 2300 ft lbs of torque; no problems running with the modern equipment and got decent fuel mileage.

We ran it that way for years (until it was stolen) with no driveline issues running the original 1450 clutch and tranny.

The first time we ever drove an 'E' neither of us could shift it because the throttle response was so slow. We swore we'd never buy one, but when the old truck got stolen, it was replaced with a truck that had an 'E' and we settled in and actually wound up liking it well enough... just missed that throttle response. :lol:

Jumbo 04-04-2007 02:13 PM

What kind of trailer do you need to buy? Good flats can be had for a decent price.

Teal 95 KW 04-04-2007 07:59 PM

My '95 475 has a LOT better throttle response than my cousin's '99 model 550. Both are e-model Cat's, mine is louder (engine noise and exhaust wise-both have 6" straights and his is only loud when the jakes are on) his runs smoother, and mine is kinda hard to stand infront of and carry on a conversation, the guy who had it before me had gotten into the computer and a bunch of other crap.

Anyway, I would say you can't go wrong with the CAT motor, I've drove Detroit's and Cummins' powered trucks and I wasn't impressed with them at all loaded or empty.

pepe4158 04-04-2007 08:57 PM

hmmm the advantage over knowing the truck you have now seems invaluable and quite an asset, I would make my decision baised on the facts only you are privy too versus buying anyone elses old headache.
And brand new prices are like, 'ouch' do you really want payments?