Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Questions? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/25977-questions.html)

Rookie at 53 03-29-2007 08:44 PM

Questions?

What is the best? A air ride 48' flat bed trailer or 48' spring ride trailer? Which is more stable and better for hauling general frieght ? Also what is a good way to pay for your fuel and other exspences without having to carry alot of cash around.

tootie04 03-29-2007 09:19 PM

I would go with an air ride trailer. It is a better ride for you and the freight.

Not sure what to tell you for fuel.....GMAN will be along for that.

tootie

Mackman 03-29-2007 09:58 PM

debit card i think would be good for fuel

GMAN 03-30-2007 12:07 PM

A spring ride will have a more rigid ride. With most loads, it won't make a difference other than the ride. If you have an air ride truck, then you will get a much better ride with an air ride trailer. Some shippers will not load a spring ride trailer. I think an air ride is easier on the equipment as well as the freight. There is more maintenance with air, but it is negligable. Basically you could have a problem with your air bags, but that is highly unlikely. Since there is nothing but steel and springs on a spring ride trailer, there isn't much to brake down. As far as fuel mileage is concerned, I don't see that it will make a difference.

I use a credit card, debit card and fuel cards. You may be able to get some cash discounts with some fuel cards. I use TCH and Truckers Advantage (Fleet One). I also have a PDCA card from Transportation Alliance Bank. It is a debit card and you can get the cash price at Flying J.

brian 03-30-2007 01:13 PM

credit cards with cash back bonuses are sure nice when you spend 60 grand on fuel every year, and I pay mine off every month so its not costing me any fees to use.

roadranger 03-31-2007 01:46 AM

I've seen broken springs but only one blown bag in my life and that was on a bus I was on 35 years ago 8) . I've got close to a million on my bags, do any of you guys change them out at a certain age or mileage or just wait for one to pop? Anybody carry a spare? Park with them up or dumped?

mike3fan 03-31-2007 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by roadranger:
I've seen broken springs but only one blown bag in my life and that was on a bus I was on 35 years ago 8) . I've got close to a million on my bags, do any of you guys change them out at a certain age or mileage or just wait for one to pop? Anybody carry a spare? Park with them up or dumped?

I only change them when needed and don't carry a spare,and sleep with them up :?

yoopr 03-31-2007 03:15 AM

Air Ride of course but If you have a leaf spring tractor they work against each other.

heavyhaulerss 03-31-2007 06:46 AM

air ride definately. I have leased to co's that require air ride. so that settled it for me. as far as fuel. i use cash. most fuel stops now require you pay more unless using cash. the j is usually the cheapest. i go online & look at their fuel prices & my route & figure out how much my fuel will cost me.

coastie 03-31-2007 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by brian:
credit cards with cash back bonuses are sure nice when you spend 60 grand on fuel every year, and I pay mine off every month so its not costing me any fees to use.

I have a debt Card that pays me to use when I use it as a credit card. When I get paid I will be uploading a good bit to that account. what I do not spend and get bounus, I get 5.05% every month. The 5.05%, and the 2.05% for using the card will add up.