Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   No headache rack needed? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/25593-no-headache-rack-needed.html)

Jumbo 03-14-2007 09:24 PM

No headache rack needed?

I was running with a flatbed o/o who was pulling a load of lumber and when I asked if he had ever been bothered by the DOT for not having a headache rack he told me that the rules had changed and one was not required anymore. I tried searching the net and came up with nothing. Has anyone else heard of this?

Rev.Vassago 03-14-2007 09:43 PM

Re: No headache rack needed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo
I was running with a flatbed o/o who was pulling a load of lumber and when I asked if he had ever been bothered by the DOT for not having a headache rack he told me that the rules had changed and one was not required anymore. I tried searching the net and came up with nothing. Has anyone else heard of this?

Nope. They're no longer requried.

mike3fan 03-14-2007 10:29 PM

Take a look at that red Pete involved in the FL turnpike crash and you'll wonder why,I know before you all jump on me,it did have one you can see it crushed into the sleeper,what I should say is every trailer should have a bulk head.

I wonder if that load had been protected from moving forward at the trailer if the outcome would've been different?

heavyhaulerss 03-14-2007 10:57 PM

i understand that you have to have either a headache rack on back of your tractor or a bulkhead on your trailer. one or the other or else!!!

Teal 95 KW 03-15-2007 04:07 AM

Headache rack is no longer needed. When I pulled a flatbed, I had a 3-closet style Road Gear headache rack on the back of my W9. I honestly don't see a headache rack stopping anything from coming forward into the back of the cab...if I was going to buy a flat and run it, I would have a bulkhead on the front of the trailer...welded into place, and perhaps braced...I dunno. But I honestly don't see either one stopping 40k lbs. of cargo from crashing into the back of the cab if you slam on the brakes or rear-end something.

yoopr 03-15-2007 04:33 AM

no longer required but foolish to run without one

serbie 03-15-2007 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
no longer required but foolish to run without one

agreed. Has to be worth some sort of protection. Like seats belts. Proven to save lives, but has cost lives as well.

coastie 03-15-2007 07:13 AM

I driven flatbeds along with dry and reefers. One company I pulled flat bed for I had only one back haul. 50,000 lbs Granite Block. If it decided to slide forward, side ways or backwards, God help who ever was in the way, The chains would not hold it, and the Headache Rack was not going to do anything but slow it a fraction. Chains are placed on it for looks to please the D.O.T. Seen to many break the chains. At the Musilem back home they show a Granite Block sticking out a Seaboard Railway Train Engine nose where it hit a Flatbed hauling a block.

Jackrabbit379 03-15-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

So, do they have that on the FMCSA website?

Rev.Vassago 03-15-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

So, do they have that on the FMCSA website?

This is the best I could find for you:

Quote:

§ 393.110 What else do I have to do to determine the minimum number of tiedowns?

[Editor’s Note: The following paragraph is revised effective July 24, 2006.]

(a) In addition to the requirements of § 393.106, the minimum number of tiedowns required to secure an article or group of articles against movement depends on the length of the article(s) being secured, and the requirements of paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section.

(b) When an article is not blocked or positioned to prevent movement in the forward direction by a headerboard, bulkhead, other cargo that is positioned to prevent movement, or other appropriate blocking devices, it must be secured by at least:

(b)(1) One tiedown for articles 5 feet (1.52 meters) or less in length, and 1,100 pounds (500 kg) or less in weight;

(b)(2) Two tiedowns if the article is:

(b)(2)(i) 5 feet (1.52 meters) or less in length and more than 1,100 pounds (500 kg) in weight; or

(b)(2)(ii) Longer than 5 feet (1.52 meters) but less than or equal to 10 feet (3.04 meters) in length, irrespective of the weight.

(b)(3) Two tiedowns if the article is longer than 10 feet (3.04 meters), and one additional tiedown for every 10 feet (3.04 meters) of article length, or fraction thereof, beyond the first 10 feet (3.04 meters) of length.