Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Mexican Trucks OK'D FOR INTERSTATES (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/25143-mexican-trucks-okd-interstates.html)

Shebear 02-26-2007 06:33 PM

Mexican Trucks OK'D FOR INTERSTATES

Heads up! Competition for loads will now extend to Mexican trucking companies, whose drivers are used to slave wages.

Here's link to The Washington Times, February 24, 2007.

I understand Mexican drivers drive days without a break thanks to meth, but that's just rumours, right? Spread by the Teamsters - Ha!

http://www.washtimes.com/business/20...0828-5481r.htm

Anybody who spots one of these rigs, what do they look like?

geomon 02-26-2007 06:50 PM

That is really unfortunate to read. In affect the US Government is allowing foriegn workers to compete ON US SOIL with US workers.

The next thing I expect to read about are major US trucking companies buying Mexican trucking firms or starting their own Mexican divisions and "laundering" many US loads thru their cheaper Mexican divisions operating on US soil. Simply start a LTL load in Mexico and "load er up" en route to anywhere USA at pennies on the dollar.

That is really pathetic on the part of our elected representatives...probably a result of lobbying efforts on the part of large US carriers.

bulldog2036 02-26-2007 07:31 PM

What do they look like? Old Freightshakers, Peterbilts, Internationals, KW's, etc....cabovers included. All pieces of crap needing maintenance of one kind or another. And don't forget the obvious, Mexican co. name on it usually ending in "Fletes Mexico, S.A."...I know because I live on the Texas/Mexico border......

okieoo 02-26-2007 07:48 PM

HMMMM.This kinda makes a person whom is on the verge of becoming an owner operator scratch his head...
Do you think this will drive freight rates lower than they already are?

ssoutlaw 02-26-2007 07:53 PM

I don't know how many even read the link the OP directed us to?
Drivers and equipment must meet safety requirements to enter the USA, whats wrong with that? Do you actually think the US will give them a different set of rules which are lower than ours?I think not! I think the US stands to make a MINT on trucks crossing the border then nailed for equipment violations. They will be forced to correct the equipment at US prices, therefore seeing fewer and fewer pieces of crap crossing the border...lol They will only be allowed to enter up to 70 miles into the USA, hell, our friends from the north can go anywhere, like we can in their country! I, I'm my opinion think people are reading to much into this whole thing. Let them come into our country 70 miles, that's 70 miles I don't have to travel to the dirty border towns...lol

okieoo 02-26-2007 07:59 PM

Ssoutlaw:
The way I read it they already have access up to 70 miles.Soon they will be allowed on all US roads.

sweepwing 02-26-2007 08:00 PM

But they are not limited to just 70 miles.

There is no law that the Mexican government hasn't broken or bent beyond recognition. Corruption and cheating are an integral part of the culture in Mexico. There is no way that they will observe ANY of laws consistantly and there will be LITTLE enforcement from any of our agencies.

Just look at the Border Patrol agents Ramos and Compean to see what happens to American agents that attempt to enforce our laws upon Mexicans.

This is the END of the United States of America.

ssoutlaw 02-26-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okieoo
Ssoutlaw:
The way I read it they already have access up to 70 miles.Soon they will be allowed on all US roads.

I read that part, but I don't believe they have ever been able to go that far yet. I maybe wrong!

mike3fan 02-26-2007 08:29 PM

from the article that we didn't read

"For the time being, the rigs won't be allowed past the commercial zones. However, Transportation Department officials say the "on-site safety audits" are among the last obstacles for allowing full access to U.S. roads and that the trucks could receive final clearance to U.S. roads within the next two months"

mowman 02-26-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
They will only be allowed to enter up to 70 miles into the USA

Not true. The 70 miles refers to distances foreign trade zones are from the border. Currently, they can deliver within 35 miles of the border (usually to freight forwarders where US drivers take over) or to foreign trade zones (which can be up to 70 miles from the border.

The new ruling allows them to be anywhere - as long as their freight originates in - or is destined to - Mexico.