Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Volt gage reading too low (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/24731-volt-gage-reading-too-low.html)

2000Volvo770 02-10-2007 11:30 AM

Volt gage reading too low

Has anyone had a problem with a 200 Volvo 770 with a N14 showing lower volt readings on the dash reader? I had this checked and when to tester hooked to the batteries it shows 12.4 volts with the truck not running but key is on. The dash readers says 11.7 volts and this kicks the Battery protection system on and shuts everything down in the accessory side of things so that truck will start. Any ideas on what causes this to be different readings? The local Volvo dealer didnt have a clue.....go figure. Thanks!!

GMAN 02-10-2007 03:01 PM

You could have a weak battery. You may want to have each battery checked. If you go to Autozone or some of the parts stores, they will check them for you for free. To check the individual batteries you will need to disconnect them from one another. That is where I would start. You may also want to check to see if any of the cables are loose.

2000Volvo770 02-10-2007 04:08 PM

Thanks Mr GMAN....That was done last night. It has 4 new batteries that are a week old. This is why this problem came to my attention. Cables are all good and all batteries checked out ok. Charging system was check at idle is was at 13.9 volts. Truck read 13.2 volts.

Orangetxguy 02-10-2007 06:36 PM

Is it possible you have a deadshort happening some where in the wiring?

Check exposed wires..especially those that were installed afer truck was built.

my .002

Parts guy 02-12-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000Volvo770
Thanks Mr GMAN....That was done last night. It has 4 new batteries that are a week old. This is why this problem came to my attention. Cables are all good and all batteries checked out ok. Charging system was check at idle is was at 13.9 volts. Truck read 13.2 volts.

Those dash volt gauges are seldom accurate. They can read +/- a volt of what the system is actually putting out. Judging from the way the gauge was .7 off the multimeter both times you took a reading, I would say it's a case of the gauge not being accurate.

2000Volvo770 02-13-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parts guy
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000Volvo770

Those dash volt gauges are seldom accurate. They can read +/- a volt of what the system is actually putting out. Judging from the way the gauge was .7 off the multimeter both times you took a reading, I would say it's a case of the gauge not being accurate.

Ok...so is there any reason for the truck reading different? What has to be done to get it to read the right numbers?