Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Our adventure begins... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/24545-our-adventure-begins.html)

GMAN 03-02-2007 09:43 PM

I calculate you are making $1.44/mile rounded up including the fsc.

tootie04 03-03-2007 12:40 AM

Yes, that is what i came up with too. I guess it is really not that bad considering we are pulling their trailer and under their base plate. they are also paying some of the insurence too.

we dont have to work to hard.....busting a** to make half the money we used to. We have NOT had to tarp ANYTHING in 3 weeks now 8) 8) I hated tarping!! Bo does not mind it....says he likes the exercise....but he is not complaining about not doing it either 8)

I think we cleared after fuel 2200.00 last week. So I think that was not too bad.

We are still going to get our step deck and go on our own....sometime...hopefully by next spring.

We are on our way to Baltimore to the ports again, then up to NJ to drop off our 2nd piece. We will have to spend Sunday in Youngstown area since we cant go through PA on sunday. To bad there is no race this weekend :sad:

Oh well...I will update more later.

tootie

jnk2001 03-03-2007 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootie04
Yes, that is what i came up with too. I guess it is really not that bad considering we are pulling their trailer and under their base plate. they are also paying some of the insurence too.

we dont have to work to hard.....busting a** to make half the money we used to. We have NOT had to tarp ANYTHING in 3 weeks now 8) 8) I hated tarping!! Bo does not mind it....says he likes the exercise....but he is not complaining about not doing it either 8)

I think we cleared after fuel 2200.00 last week. So I think that was not too bad.

We are still going to get our step deck and go on our own....sometime...hopefully by next spring.

We are on our way to Baltimore to the ports again, then up to NJ to drop off our 2nd piece. We will have to spend Sunday in Youngstown area since we cant go through PA on sunday. To bad there is no race this weekend :sad:

tootie

why can't you go thru PA on Sunday? :?: :?

03-03-2007 08:53 AM

Dootie,

Think about what I said before if you decide to stay home and DH goes on his own. You already know more than I do about the business and you could do it for sure!!!

I go on the load boards and post my truck with phone number. You can put your phone in there. Get my load, get a price then fax your brains out like I do setting up my pickup. Me, I'll be driving having my blond moment the whole way and you call and say, Steve, go here and pick this up. I say OK and off I go, simple. After that you get a fee for your service. I'm sure you could handle a bunch of people.

It's a pain for me to try and book loads while I'm driving. It's almost like I have to shut my phone off after I drop a load off before I park. These brokers want an answer NOW!

I'm thinking with just a handful of drivers that you could pull in a tidy sum a week doing this.

There are people that advertise that they do this and I have hooked up with 2 of them. They did absolutely nothing other than send me email jokes or never called.

Just getting a nickle more a mile on a 500 mile load would almost pay for what I would be willing to give you on a commission. Do that for me on 3 loads a week and could bring in over $100.

Think about it.

tootie04 03-03-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:

tootie

why can't you go thru PA on Sunday? :?: :?

No movement in PA after noon on Saturday for oversize.

tootie

mike3fan 03-03-2007 04:12 PM

Are you guys at the Petro in Youngstown?

I could swing through and say hello on Sunday afternoon while I am headed for NJ.

tootie04 03-03-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
Are you guys at the Petro in Youngstown?

I could swing through and say hello on Sunday afternoon while I am headed for NJ.

I think that is where he is going to stop tomorrow. Right now we are at the Petro outside of Toledo OH.....He calls it T5??

We will go on over to the petro in youngstown tomorrow. I will let ya know when we get there.....We are just taking our time doing our "Sunday drive" through Ohio.

tootie

tootie04 03-03-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Dootie,

Think about what I said before if you decide to stay home and DH goes on his own. You already know more than I do about the business and you could do it for sure!!!

I go on the load boards and post my truck with phone number. You can put your phone in there. Get my load, get a price then fax your brains out like I do setting up my pickup. Me, I'll be driving having my blond moment the whole way and you call and say, Steve, go here and pick this up. I say OK and off I go, simple. After that you get a fee for your service. I'm sure you could handle a bunch of people.

It's a pain for me to try and book loads while I'm driving. It's almost like I have to shut my phone off after I drop a load off before I park. These brokers want an answer NOW!

I'm thinking with just a handful of drivers that you could pull in a tidy sum a week doing this.

There are people that advertise that they do this and I have hooked up with 2 of them. They did absolutely nothing other than send me email jokes or never called.

Just getting a nickle more a mile on a 500 mile load would almost pay for what I would be willing to give you on a commission. Do that for me on 3 loads a week and could bring in over $100.

Think about it.

I am NOT staying home....I hate to be alone :wink: and DH hates it too. BUT I may consider this after we get home and get the fax machine for the truck. Keep in mind I have never hunted loads before BUT I have a good idea of what freight should pay and what areas to stay OUT of.

When we get our step deck and authority I will have to hunt our loads anyway. I will mainly do like Rank does and hunt for LTL. Bo loves the challenge of seeing how much he can get on the deck. I know I'll be asking rank for pointers on how to hunt that LTL freight!! :D I dont expect to be ready to be on our own till next spring.

tootie

rank 03-04-2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Yes they pay DH miles..... .50 a mile.. The load we are on now pays

1971.02 we get 65% of this

then add 296.19 fuel

for 1097 miles

see what you come up with Rank.

Is that 1097 loaded miles Tootie?
$1281.15 + $296.19 = $1577.34 / 1097 miles = $1.44 so I agree with you and Gman.

But at $.50/DH mile, they're just covering fuel. If you had to bounce 100 miles empty to reload your rate for all miles on the same load has now dropped from $1.44 to $1.36. So your original number could easily be correct.

Also depends on how they're calculating miles. I don't know about Diamond, but dispatched mileage can often be 10% low. 1097 HHG miles in reality could be 1200 measured on the odometer or the hub. $1577.34 / 1200 = $1.31/loaded hub mile. They probably use practical truck miles but ya still gotta watch 'em!

Sounds like you're doing good though.

tootie04 03-04-2007 06:28 PM

We are at the TA here at Youngstown off I-80. We are hooked up to idle air and kicked back watching the tube. We were afraid to try to get over to the Petro since there is some BIG wreck on 80 over in PA. someone said there were 4-6 tucks and some 4-wheelers in the wreck. The interstate East bound is closed i think.

Going in to wash clothes then later we will walk over to Perkins to eat.

tootie

tootie04 03-04-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank
Quote:

Yes they pay DH miles..... .50 a mile.. The load we are on now pays

1971.02 we get 65% of this

then add 296.19 fuel

for 1097 miles

see what you come up with Rank.

Is that 1097 loaded miles Tootie?
$1281.15 + $296.19 = $1577.34 / 1097 miles = $1.44 so I agree with you and Gman.

But at $.50/DH mile, they're just covering fuel. If you had to bounce 100 miles empty to reload your rate for all miles on the same load has now dropped from $1.44 to $1.36. So your original number could easily be correct.

Also depends on how they're calculating miles. I don't know about Diamond, but dispatched mileage can often be 10% low. 1097 HHG miles in reality could be 1200 measured on the odometer or the hub. $1577.34 / 1200 = $1.31/loaded hub mile. They probably use practical truck miles but ya still gotta watch 'em!

Sounds like you're doing good though.

I know what you mean by miles being off. They have been pretty close so far. I keep track of actual miles and compare to the ones we are paid on. I think the 1.37 was right but if you factor in the difference between CRST malone and having to pay for the trailer and all I think we still will be better off here at diamond. Hopefully in a year or so we will be on our own anyway.

tootie

Colin 03-04-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

We are at the TA here at Youngstown off I-80. We are hooked up to idle air and kicked back watching the tube. We were afraid to try to get over to the Petro since there is some BIG wreck on 80 over in PA. someone said there were 4-6 tucks and some 4-wheelers in the wreck. The interstate East bound is closed i think.

tootie

Damn. I have spent so many nights at that exit and I only spent 18 months OTR!

mike3fan 03-04-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

tootie

I won't be stopping by because of that wreck,I need to run around it and get over there to State College and get down 322 to Reading,PA.
I am around Cleveland now and have a 7am pick up in NJ

mike3fan 03-04-2007 08:38 PM

Thats some nice looking green and yellow machinery you all got there! 8)

tootie04 03-07-2007 05:09 PM

Hey Mike did you see us?? You should have stopped by and said Hi....

We are in Baltimore again. We are loading for friona TX but I think we will be stuck in Baltimore tonight due to the heavy snow in Westen MD. We will just wait till morning to head that way.

Steve....dont steal that nice weather till we get there!! 8)

tootie

03-07-2007 05:15 PM

I'm in GMAN country right now with the windows down and the A/C on!!!! Ha!
In your face!

My A/C is cooling the country behind me so keep your heat on. I plan to use up all the heat in Texas also so don't get your hopes up.

I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too.....

P.S.
Next time you watch the Wizard of Oz when the guards are walking into the castle chanting you may think they are saying something like "yole ole, yooo oh"....listen carefully. They are saying "Oh we love, the old one" Old one is another word for witch.

mike3fan 03-07-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Hey Mike did you see us?? You should have stopped by and said Hi....

I saw you as I drove by,had to keep going because of the extra time needed to run around that wreck on I-80,after spending an hour running around it they had opened up the expressway when I got back to it..... :x

sidman82 03-07-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

P.S.
Next time you watch the Wizard of Oz when the guards are walking into the castle chanting you may think they are saying something like "yole ole, yooo oh"....listen carefully. They are saying "Oh we love, the old one" Old one is another word for witch.

Steve, You've been watching to much TV! :nervous:

person 03-09-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too.....lol

P.S.
Next time you watch the Wizard of Oz Sure Steve. It's on everybody's dvd rent lists.

03-09-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by person
Quote:

P.S.
Next time you watch the Wizard of Oz Sure Steve. It's on everybody's dvd rent lists.

Rent? What, are you a communist? You are un-american unless you own at least one copy.

tootie04 03-09-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by person
Quote:

P.S.

Rent? What, are you a communist? You are un-american unless you own at least one copy.

I own my copy!! 8)

03-09-2007 03:03 PM

Tootie and her hubby hung up on me. They are communists

tootie04 03-09-2007 11:37 PM

Hey wait a min....YOUR the one who dropped signal :sad: We figured we would call ya later.

We are sitting at the TA at exit 68 here in TN. This palce is a DIVE!!

tootie

tootie04 03-11-2007 12:52 AM

Sitting in OKC at the TA getting ready to watch a movie. We have to deliver Monday in friona TX then most likey DH home to Tulsa.

This load pays about 2700 to us. That is not to bad but I am not to impressed we have to DH out all the time. We only took this load this time so we could get home.

I will post pics tomorrow of a few of our loads lately. I have to upload them to photobucket first.

Take care

tootie 8)

Outta here 03-11-2007 05:16 PM

Tootie, didn't know until last week that you had a thread going. Sure enjoy reading about your adventures! Thanks for taking the time to post so others like me can learn from your experiences both good and bad. I sure appreciate it and will enjoy following your travels as you post.
Steve

tootie04 03-12-2007 12:00 AM

Here are a few pics of what we have been hauling. The green and white thing is the harvester we have on now.

The red thing is the combine. They were putting the wheels on it. This thing was HUGE!!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ewtruck024.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ewtruck021.jpg

tootie04 03-14-2007 02:09 AM

We are home now.....going a hundred miles and hour!!

tootie

Jackrabbit379 03-14-2007 02:49 PM

Actually, the Case I-H is a harvester, also. :P It is also called a combine. John Deere would be the best one to get. 8) :P Nothing runs like a Deere. The Claas is a forage harvester, used for silage. There are several different types of heads that you can use. They have pick-up heads for picking up windrows, row heads for corn, and several different types of mowers. Speaking of Claas, it's a German company. A few years ago, CAT started putting out combines. Funny thing is, they are the same thing as the Claas combines. Havent quite figured that out. I assume that Claas is using CAT for their products here in the U.S.

A lot of fun pulling those combines on those 2-lane highways in Kansas. :P

jnk2001 03-14-2007 06:57 PM

Tootie, did you get the claas from Baltimore? I have a friend who is a claas mechanic and he says they come in from Germany to Baltimore. Just curious.

tootie04 03-14-2007 10:42 PM

Yep, we picked the claas up in baltimore

tootie

03-16-2007 04:50 PM

So, Tootie. I'm assuming your home where a woman should be, and your husband is out on the road were he should be. I also assume your baking, cooking and all that other woman stuff. So now that your home and not going on the road anymore, how long before you start the dispatch thing? I know your answer but I also know that when a woman says NO she really means YES. (don't phone and yell at me, I have caller ID).

tootie04 03-17-2007 02:39 AM

WRONG!! :twisted: :twisted: :D

tootie04 03-17-2007 02:43 PM

WE are leaving the house today. We are driving a car to Charlotte NC to pick up our 2nd truck. We have a driver in the freightliner and he is on his way to Racine WI. We will meet him up there Tuesday evening.

We got all our deposit and mait. money back from Arrow yesterday so we have our nest egg in the bank now....thank God.

The new truck is an 2001 KW T600 It has 600,000 on it BUT only 100,000 on a COMPLETE rebuild.

This was NOT my idea...I was happy with one truck but Bo is heck bent on getting another truck. So I didnt win this battle. i just pray it all works out. He has wanted this for a LONG time.

I will update when we get to charlotte.

Tootie (who is stressed past her last feather!!)

mike3fan 03-18-2007 01:45 AM

good luck with that

Outta here 03-18-2007 03:18 PM

Wow, what a turn of events. Good luck! Sounds like a nice truck. Let us know how you like the T600 compared to the Freightliner as far as interior comfort and sleeper room. I always liked the T600. Heard they are suppose to be good MPG because of the aerodynamics. I knew a guy who drove one loved it. Post pics when you get a chance

rank 03-19-2007 04:51 PM

Is the 2nd truck going to be leased to Diamond also?

tootie04 03-20-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank
Is the 2nd truck going to be leased to Diamond also?

Yes, for right now it will be.

tootie04 03-20-2007 01:02 PM

Well we are on our way to Racine. We picked up the truck yeasterday morning early and got under way about 10:30 am. So far the truck is running GREAT!! It was a much different experience to say the least. This truck was DETAILED and SERVICED!! I spent 8 hours cleaning the Freightliner! :evil: We moved right into the KW. It has a fresh oil change and they did everything, the tranny, rears and all.

The difference between the freightliner and the KW is night and day. Dont get me wrong I still LOVE the Classic, but the KW is just alot nicer truck. The freighliner has alot more storage space and the cab is bigger in the front where the seats are. Bobtailing the freightliner is a better ride, Hubby says cause the wheel base is longer so the ride is smoother.

The KW was a real suprise for me. It has a fridge in it :lol: :P that was a plus. It also has drawers under the bunk. It has the storage on both sides above the bunk. It has the drawers on the drivers side on the bottom of the cabinets. It has a block heater in it. It has this hook-up outside that has cable TV and phone hook-ups like a camper has :? There is an AB switch in the bunk where the TV goes that switches between the antenna and the cable. The truck also has carpet all through it...BRAND NEW!! This truck also has storage on BOTH sides from the outside. We also have room to put a box on it.the truck has two 150 gal tanks on it 8) . The only drawback is the passenger seat is not air ride. Hubby said he will get an air ride seat when we get home.

Hubby is a KW guy and I still kinda like freigtliners more (cause of the room) Hubby says after we pay the truck off in 2 years he wants to put a 100 inch sleeper on it.....we will see.

I will post pics later after i get some good pics.

tootie

gigaball 03-20-2007 06:43 PM

Re: Our adventure begins...

I'm looking at possibly changing careers to truck driving. I found one article

http://www.career-opportunities.net/...rOpportunities

with information about what it is like...are there any others I can research?

tootie04 03-20-2007 08:12 PM

Re: Our adventure begins...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigaball
I'm looking at possibly changing careers to truck driving. I found one article

http://www.career-opportunities.net/...rOpportunities

with information about what it is like...are there any others I can research?

Best thing I can tell ya to do is read read read and ask questions. Everyone is different and everyone has a different opinion about things.

tootie