Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   International Trucks, good or bad (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/23784-international-trucks-good-bad.html)

gottaroll 01-11-2007 08:23 PM

International Trucks, good or bad

Why doesn't international trucks get any respect?
I was looking at a nice 2002 autoshift 9400i, when it occurred to me how little you hear about International. what do you guys think of international?[/list]

rigidsporty 01-11-2007 09:22 PM

I drive one every day (single axle day cab). Its ugly as hell and rides like a farm tractor but it always starts and gets me down the road. Personally I think most of it has to do with peoples ego's. Internationals arent as perty as a 379 or a W900 so nobody wants one. Most trucks have the same drivetrain anyway so if one's ego isnt an option, Internationals (and the ever un-popular Freightliner) can be bought a lot cheaper than a chromed-out long-nose super truck and will make you just as much money. :wink:

GMAN 01-11-2007 09:26 PM

The first truck I drove was an International. I have owned one for several years. They are a good work horse. Although I also own a KW, I prefer the International. You can always spend more for a truck, but you won't find one that is more dependable.

01-11-2007 10:35 PM

Chrome may look nice but it does not pay more I actually pefer the International myself best truck when it comes to room in the cab except for the Volvo easy to work on and rugged.

hamboner 01-11-2007 10:50 PM

I agree most of its ego. Maybe they should slap some shiny stuff on there and a train horn. Then charge a $140,000 for them and they would have some prestige!

gottaroll 01-11-2007 11:26 PM

Taking it to my mechanic tomorrow, if he gives it a clean bill of health....I just may trade in my 1993 pete and become the proud owner :wink: of a 2002 9400i. really wanted a 2001 or older, (thought this one was a 2001.)

marylandkw 01-12-2007 12:49 AM

I had really bad luck with an International recently. Mainly fit and finish kinda issues, lots of squeaks and rattles and really alot of road noise in the cab. It rode like heck also and the motor...well don't get me started on how much that thing cost me even under warranty with the down time I had to suffer thru. Now I know the motor is not international but everything else was and I hated it. But I could have just gotten a lemon too.

gottaroll 01-12-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marylandkw
I had really bad luck with an International recently. Mainly fit and finish kinda issues, lots of squeaks and rattles and really alot of road noise in the cab. It rode like heck also and the motor...well don't get me started on how much that thing cost me even under warranty with the down time I had to suffer thru. Now I know the motor is not international but everything else was and I hated it. But I could have just gotten a lemon too.

Hey maryland........ what year and model was that international?

GMAN 01-12-2007 01:15 AM

I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with your International. It can really stink when you have to spend money on an engine that should be under warranty. Just because something is under warranty doesn't necessarily mean that a breakdown will be covered.

01-12-2007 01:17 AM

Re: International Trucks, good or bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottaroll
Why doesn't international trucks get any respect?
I was looking at a nice 2002 autoshift 9400i, when it occurred to me how little you hear about International. what do you guys think of international?[/list]

Do you mean INTERTRASHIONALS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

marylandkw 01-12-2007 03:28 AM

2005 9400i was my beast of burden.

Gman, I was trying to say I lost revenue as a result of motor down time. All repairs and towing was covered under my warranty. But after 64000 miles and the 3rd motor it was time for me to cut and run!

hamboner 01-12-2007 03:47 AM

All the New trucks now days have issues with them. And yes......even the Pete's and Kenworth's! My dad has an 06' freighliner coronado, and it has had all kinds of issues, but thankfull the engine is not one of them. Most of the problems with his are small, but they piss you off when you have to fix a brand new truck.

A friend of mine had a brand new 9400 and the hood spring had broken on it like two weeks after he bought it!

GMAN 01-12-2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marylandkw
2005 9400i was my beast of burden.

Gman, I was trying to say I lost revenue as a result of motor down time. All repairs and towing was covered under my warranty. But after 64000 miles and the 3rd motor it was time for me to cut and run!

I am sorry that I misunderstood you, marylandkw. I agree that any time you need to be down and not working that it can cost a lot of money in revenue. I find it amazing that you would have needed 3 engines during the first 64,000 miles. I think it was an engine problem rather than being brand specific to the truck. You make a good point, however. When your truck is in the shop, even if it is under warranty, you still lose money.

marylandkw 01-13-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
When your truck is in the shop, even if it is under warranty, you still lose money.

This is something alot of new business owners do not realize when doing the "numbers" on a new business. My 2 week old truck is in the shop for a week as of last night just fixing new truck bugs. It is not just get a truck and make money. And a used truck can be just as bad if not worse with a lack of warranty.

These things are big complicated machines and will always have kinks to work out, new or used. I budgeted for half revenue for the first 2 months of my new truck. How do guys think they can start a trucking company with no reserves?

GMAN 01-13-2007 01:43 AM

They can start a business, but unfortunately some will bite the bullet. Some may get lucky and get the funds rolling in before something serious happens where they need to be shut down for a while. Those who are not so lucky and don't have the reserves will not be able to weather the difficult times. That is why I suggest those wanting to enter this business to start with a good used truck that has a low payment and cash in the bank. Being successful in business means preparing for the worst scenario. There is an old saying, "Expect the best, prepare for the worst."

Mackman 01-13-2007 03:17 AM

I drove a 9900ix a couple times and i really really liked the truck for a OTR truck i like 9900ix alot. Very nice and big cab.

GMAN 01-13-2007 12:32 PM

The 9900ix is a nice truck, but you can run into a problem on fuel mileage as you do with the 379 or W900. That flat hood catches a lot of wind. But if you want to have a hood, the 9900 is certainly an option and can be purchased for less than the 379 or W900. You can also have a sleeper with more usable room.

RostyC 01-13-2007 01:21 PM

International is mainly what I'm looking at to get started with, seems you can get a good deal on them versus the other brands with similar features and wear on them. I'm going to ride up to Five Star International today to look at one and talk with them.

GMAN 01-13-2007 01:30 PM

I have always gotten good service out of International. I have been thinking about selling one of my trucks. I haven't yet made a decision. If I were to sell one of them I am not sure which to sell. I still have a fondness for the International. I have replaced both rears and kingpins in the last year or two. I probably have at least a couple of years before having to rebuild the engine, perhaps longer. The KW has a new engine with less than 200,000 and I just spend an additional $6,700, so it should be good for another 800,000 miles before any major engine work. There is always the potential for the rears going out. Of course that is much less expensive than replacing an engine. I will probably just hang on to both of them and have a spare. It is good to have a spare truck in case of an emergency. 8)

RostyC 01-13-2007 04:33 PM

It is nice to have a spare truck actually. I bought a new P/UP in May, more for pleasure but when I had a bunch of work done to my work truck I could still get around without having to borrow my wifes truck. Three days in the shop would have aggravated me before but the extra truck made it go pretty smooth.

Mountain Flyer 01-14-2007 05:05 PM

My truck is a 1999 International 9400 with Mid-roof Pro Sleeper. I like the room in the drivers' seat ( I am 6'3 and 250#) and have plenty of room. I have had some mechanical issues (cooling system and now the engine) but what truck doesn't? As far as integrity of the truck, it's fine. I have had a few issues there too (Power window on passenger side quit- International wants $400 for a new "window assembly" instead of just replace the motor)... but again, what outfit doesn't?

I would not hesitate to buy another International. Having said that, I am now thinking I'd like the added room of a condo sleeper... thinking maybe a Freightliner Columbia for my next truck. But, I am taking my truck in tomorrow for major engine work, and if they do a good job and it fixes the problem, I will be trucking with the International for a long time to come...

They ain't the prettiest, but they are fairly fuel efficient, inexpensive to purchase ( I paid $20,000 for mine with 456,000 miles), roomy inside, good ride... I like my truck! 8)

RostyC 01-14-2007 07:20 PM

that sounds like a good deal, where did you find it Mountain Flyer?

Mountain Flyer 01-14-2007 08:43 PM

I bought it locally from a private party. He had three of them at the time. Old Walmart truck, it is... 8)

9200IH 01-14-2007 09:37 PM

Hi Mountain Flyer I have a International also, and my pass. power window quit and first thing I thought was the motor. But after taking the switch in the dash apart and cleaning the contacts with sand paper it works like new again.

Maybe this can save you some money if you have not checked it already
Mike

Mountain Flyer 01-15-2007 01:45 AM

yeah, I checked the switches; then got to the motor; it is fried. :?