Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Equipment Moving (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/23231-equipment-moving.html)

NascarFan 12-20-2006 06:04 PM

Equipment Moving

I am looking into moving equipment for the company I work for I currently drive for them but have just bought a truck that would move the equipment easily. We move stuff allover NC, TN, SC, and GA. They are offering me $2.25mi loaded and $1.40mi for any dead head the only down side to this is it is not full time I only move stuff when they need it moved but when I'm not hauling equipment they will let me drive a dump truck or something

wot i life 12-20-2006 06:31 PM

Is your trailer an extender mate? Theres a load of options open to you when you,re not carrying plant. For example, you could move porta-cabins, they,re light(Less fuel burnt) and because your low, you can carry higher cabins than a flat bed without needing high load routes etc.
Maybe its different over there, I don,t know. Just trying to help :wink:

BanditsCousin 12-21-2006 03:27 AM

If you have to be available 24/7, that could suck. I'd at least have my truck pulling constantly somewhere. $2.25 is great, and the Deadhead is even sweeter deal, but how many miles at a pop? Is there a minimum?

rank 12-21-2006 03:52 AM

Bandit has asked the right questions. You need to be able to get other freight. If you're at their beckon call you'll miss out on some nice opportunitites.

I've been offered anywhere from $2.50 to $5.25 per mile for OD equipment and machines. So your rates aren't bad IMO......depends on the miles they're giving you.

brian 12-21-2006 07:28 AM

2.25 isn`t that great, dont get me wrong if its consistent miles you can do very well but me and my wifes heavy hauler doesn`t move for less then 150$ an hour (4 minimum) or at least 200 mile round trip at 3.50 a mile, hell my personal truck has been averaging 1.92 a mile 5 days a week and my profits are at least 250% better then her`s on average

her rate is very favorable compared to others in the area and the truck still sits a few days a week, pulling a lowboy is alot different then pulling a skateboard....

acranger 12-21-2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian
2.25 isn`t that great, dont get me wrong if its consistent miles you can do very well but me and my wifes heavy hauler doesn`t move for less then 150$ an hour (4 minimum) or at least 200 mile round trip at 3.50 a mile, hell my personal truck has been averaging 1.92 a mile 5 days a week and my profits are at least 250% better then her`s on average

her rate is very favorable compared to others in the area and the truck still sits a few days a week, pulling a lowboy is alot different then pulling a skateboard....

Why is it so much different?

GMAN 12-21-2006 12:11 PM

A lowboy tends to be heavier than a flat bed. That can limit you on what you can haul if weight is a consideration. Some freight may load at a dock. A lowboy cannot load at dock level, a flat can. A lowboy costs more than a flat, so you should not move the truck unless you can get better rates.

rank 12-21-2006 02:07 PM

If we're talking about heavy haul then that's different. I was thinking step decks.

wot i life 12-21-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
A lowboy cannot load at dock level

Depends on the height of the dock Gman. I have done it before by lowering the neck and the unit whilst at the same time, diverting pressure to the trailer and raising it as far as it will go.Of course, this creates an incline and does create its own problems, but it can, and has, been done.

NascarFan 12-21-2006 02:36 PM

Ok mabey I'll see if I can get a better rate out of them. Bandit I would have to be on call 24/7.