Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   consignee can't offload....what would you do? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/23168-consignee-cant-offload-what-would-you-do.html)

rank 12-18-2006 09:37 PM

consignee can't offload....what would you do?

Our truck arrives at consignee with heavy vehicle onboard and the vehicle won't start therefore cannot be offloaded. Our truck has been there most of the day and will probably extend into tomorrow. Spoke to broker and they say it's a negotiation with the customer and there is no set rate for detention.

advice?

Rev.Vassago 12-18-2006 10:05 PM

Get the receiver to pay for a flatbed with a winch to roll the vehicle off onto. We do this all the time in HHG with vehicles that either won't start, or have too low of a clearance to roll off on ramps.

rank 12-19-2006 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Get the receiver to pay for a flatbed with a winch to roll the vehicle off onto. We do this all the time in HHG with vehicles that either won't start, or have too low of a clearance to roll off on ramps.

thanks Rev. Darn thing had spring brakes and was too low to get under and use a caging tool. Anyway it finally started 4.5 hours later. What do you guys charge for detention?

Kintama 12-19-2006 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

thanks Rev. Darn thing had spring brakes and was too low to get under and use a caging tool. Anyway it finally started 4.5 hours later. What do you guys charge for detention?

You need to decide what's it worth to you. How much do you figure you lost having the truck sit for 5 hours. Did the truck get loaded today, or does it have to wait until tomorrow. If I had to burn up my whole day, I'd be looking for at least $200 bucks.

Mackman 12-19-2006 01:12 AM

If he is a O/O he day is worth alot more then 200bucks.

yoopr 12-19-2006 01:18 AM

no crane or ramps to roll it off?

Rev.Vassago 12-19-2006 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank

For me, detention starts after 2 hours, and depends upon the contract. Usually it runs around $85 an hour for the truck, and $85 an hour for the driver.

rank 12-19-2006 11:48 AM

Yeah we missed repositioning some of our own product that can only be loaded during the day. That cost us 200 miles and about 5 hours time. We also could have delivered some product that would have netted $2,800 but that is really only delayed until next year...not lost completely. They ain't going to pay that amount anyway. I was thinking we'd be lucky to get $50/hr out of them.

BanditsCousin 12-19-2006 01:54 PM

My detention comes out to about 80/hr.

Now, if I have a crew, lets say 2 guys with me, I think I get paid like $25-27/hr, PER man. Again, this is when 2 hrs go up. I rarely get detention time, because I plan around a customer's schedule. I've began unloading at 8p- midnight one time :)

As far as the stuck (non-rnning vehicle), the slouion was simple. Back up to a REALLY sturdy structure such as a small tin shed or child's swingset and tie a chain to the structure and vehicle, then drive off! 8)

GMAN 12-21-2006 12:43 PM

A rollback works pretty well in this type of situation. It is the responsibility of the receiver to have something available to unload you.