Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   How to own a semi truck (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/22602-how-own-semi-truck.html)

GMAN 12-01-2006 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejanh
Ofcourse am gonna jump the ship if am gonna be better off over there, it only makes sence, thats a smart buisiness decision at its best, everyone in any field does it. Treat and pay your guys what they deserve and i bet your ass they wont leave you, WHY? There are ofcourse rotten apples in every bunch but this buisiness is shadyest one out there where everone lies their ass off just to get you behind that wheel.....

One reason there is so much turnover is that people expect one thing and get another when they change jobs. When it comes down to it, there isn't much difference between most companies. A driver's attitude will have more to do with his success than changing jobs every few months or year or so. Some times you just need to suck it up and work through your problems. People are different. Drivers can't always have things their way. There are legitimate reasons to change jobs. A penny more per mile isn't enough of a reason. I have spoken to some drivers who have told me some of the reasons they have changed jobs, and some are very childish. Some have never learned to talk through differences. I have found that most issues can be worked through by effective communications. I hear some complain about the low driver wages. If drivers stayed around for longer wages would rise. You don't pay top wages to someone who just starts with you. A company needs to see what a driver is made of and how he handles his job. It takes time and money to recruit and train drivers. If drivers would stay around longer, wages would rise because it would take more money to train someone new than it would to keep those who are already with a company.

Red Clay Rambler 12-01-2006 07:04 AM

For me, four jobs in 24 years of driving. Been at my present job for the last 16 years. Most of my driving career has been spent working for wholesale distibutors who deliver their own product, not freight transportation companies.

Dejanh 12-01-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejanh
Ofcourse am gonna jump the ship if am gonna be better off over there, it only makes sence, thats a smart buisiness decision at its best, everyone in any field does it. Treat and pay your guys what they deserve and i bet your ass they wont leave you, WHY? There are ofcourse rotten apples in every bunch but this buisiness is shadyest one out there where everone lies their ass off just to get you behind that wheel.....

One reason there is so much turnover is that people expect one thing and get another when they change jobs. When it comes down to it, there isn't much difference between most companies. A driver's attitude will have more to do with his success than changing jobs every few months or year or so. Some times you just need to suck it up and work through your problems. People are different. Drivers can't always have things their way. There are legitimate reasons to change jobs. A penny more per mile isn't enough of a reason. I have spoken to some drivers who have told me some of the reasons they have changed jobs, and some are very childish. Some have never learned to talk through differences. I have found that most issues can be worked through by effective communications. I hear some complain about the low driver wages. If drivers stayed around for longer wages would rise. You don't pay top wages to someone who just starts with you. A company needs to see what a driver is made of and how he handles his job. It takes time and money to recruit and train drivers. If drivers would stay around longer, wages would rise because it would take more money to train someone new than it would to keep those who are already with a company.

Well lets see, my trainer( does not train allways ) in Werner Enterprises has been with them for 5 years straight and they have paid him 27cpm, they paid me 24 with 1500-2300 miles per week driving by the book. Now thats a 450-500 check before taxes which i made working in a grocery store here localy. After six months they decided to bump that to 2 more cpm to 26 and to get around 32 you have to be with them for 4-7 years.
I got my six months and went up 12cpm more than what they paid me with 3500 miles on a average per every single week of driving, running how ever i knew how :wink: , now tell me thats not a good buisiness decision. To think that a bought a new truck in 1.5 years od driving paying almost half of that up front only because i changed jobs., i wouldnt be O/O in for maybe 3 more years if i stayed there..
Jbhunt and all of these others i wont even talk about, they're all the same..

Turnover is huge only because all these bloodsuckin recruits are telling people whatever they want just to get them in...if you give your guys decent pay with decent miles and treat them like a human beings they will not leave because they wont have a reason too....

GMAN 12-02-2006 02:45 AM

I don't want to give the impression that I think all the turnover problems are just the fault of drivers. There are problems with the way some companies treat their drivers. However, the drivers have more control over what happens than they may think. It is important to keep an open line of communication between the driver and operations. I think there are some companies who fail in this instance, but it is often the driver who leaves in a huff without exhausting all of his options to work something out.

Gibby 12-02-2006 06:30 AM

turn over

Ever heard the saying : "the grass is always greener on the other side"? Well that is what I basically hear from drivers every single day... this place pays better, this place has better equipment.. so on so forth. The fact is people do not care because it is the way people have become. I think it is lack of pride, and the mighty dollar running everyones life... just my 2 cents worth.