Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Having your own Authority? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/22407-having-your-own-authority.html)

CrazyRussian 11-20-2006 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by GMAN:
You don't need a truck to get your motor carrier authority, but most insurance companies require you to have a truck to write the insurance. You cannot get the authority without insurance. The insurance company usually writes the liability and cargo on a specific truck and/or trailer. By the way, if you plan on running your own authority, you should also plan on buying a trailer. You will probably need to purchase collision insurance on your equipment. Most charge 2-4% of the stated value of the equipment. You don't need collision insurance to obtain motor carrier authority, only liability and cargo.

Stop-stop-stop... If I will buy the truck I can't drive this from dealership to my home without MC authority. Or I can? If I can no more questions about this, but if I can't what should to do? I mean no MC without insurance and no insurance without truck. And no truck without MC :roll:

GMAN 11-20-2006 03:21 AM

You can drive it home without having authority. But you cannot haul any loads until you either have authority or lease to a carrier. You will probably be required to have collision insurance on the truck before leaving the dealership, if you finance your purchase. :D

CrazyRussian 11-20-2006 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by GMAN:
You can drive it home without having authority. But you cannot haul any loads until you either have authority or lease to a carrier. You will probably be required to have collision insurance on the truck before leaving the dealership, if you finance your purchase. :D

OK, thank you GMAN! You help a lot.

BA 11-20-2006 11:45 PM

GMAN
No doubt...you answered exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks again for taking the time to do it.

Have a safe and happy holiday season
BA

BanditsCousin 11-20-2006 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by BA:
So if your an O/O, is either an authority or company lease your only options to haul comercial freight?

Heck no. I haul HHG (HouseHold Goods). Some guys pull enclosed car haulers. Some do grain and soybeans. Although there may be different authorities for different kinds of freight, you probably want genral/commercial frieght.

BA 11-21-2006 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin:

Originally Posted by BA:
So if your an O/O, is either an authority or company lease your only options to haul comercial freight?

Heck no. I haul HHG (HouseHold Goods). Some guys pull enclosed car haulers. Some do grain and soybeans. Although there may be different authorities for different kinds of freight, you probably want genral/commercial frieght.

So no authority is required for hauling HHG? or are you saying that just a specific one is required? Seeing how GMAN also mentioned something about HHG, care to explain a little more about it?

BanditsCousin 11-21-2006 01:51 AM

I think HHG is its own authority. I know general freight companies can't haul hhg.

I need the Rev and Gman on this one :wink:

GMAN 11-21-2006 05:44 PM

I don't recall any difference in authority from hauling HHG and general freight. However, there are additional regulations and disclosures which these carriers must comply. If you are a for hire carrier, you must have motor carrier authority.

LOAD IT 11-21-2006 11:43 PM

I think HHG is its own authority. I know general freight companies can't haul hhg.

HHG does require special authority, that is why in the common authority letter it mentions "....transportation of freight (except household goods) by motor vehicle.

LOAD IT 11-21-2006 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by LOAD IT:

HHG does require special authority, that is why in the common authority letter it mentions "....transportation of freight (except household goods) by motor vehicle.

I have another one that reads... to engage in transportation as a common carrier of property (except household goods) by motor vehicle.