Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   O/O home daily jobs (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/22339-o-o-home-daily-jobs.html)

Adam9315 11-17-2006 04:00 PM

O/O home daily jobs

I have no plans of becoming an O/O now, but I was wondering what is a good business to get into that gets you a good amount of money and still allows you to be home daily? Dump truck driver, FedEx, etc..?

floored 11-17-2006 05:54 PM

Depends on where you are.

My transfer truck on a full work day (10 hrs) will bring in about $700-$900. I have very low fuel expense on my truck each week. But keep in mind this is very much so a weather related job so I can't count on making that kind of money every day. But since my husband also works we won't be going broke anytime soon so it works great for us.

Guys I worked with at FDX Ground ran 2k a week as an average local. Buy a cheap truck, work hard and you can do okay there too. This was for my area, in your area it may be different.

Since your not ready to be a O/O, I suggest trying your hand as an employee in the "fields" you are considering, that way you can see what its really like before you jump in with a truck of your own.

marcel27208 11-18-2006 12:23 PM

im schneider o/o local home everyday, depends big on where you live at :lol:

bibnflannel 11-19-2006 12:48 AM

Im an o/o, haul grain and soybean meal, average 400 miles a day, between 3500 and 4000$ WK, home every night. I do , however, spend about 12 to 15 hours a day on the job.

Red Clay Rambler 11-19-2006 10:01 AM

Bibnflannel, what part of the country are you in?

bibnflannel 11-19-2006 01:21 PM

Im in central Indiana inthe heart of the grain belt, where there are lots of hog feedlots as well because corn is abundant. Also theres several new ethanol plants under construction here that will require alot of trucks to haul corn and ddg's, as well as the ethanol itself.

mike3fan 11-19-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibnflannel
Im an o/o, haul grain and soybean meal, average 400 miles a day, between 3500 and 4000$ WK, home every night. I do , however, spend about 12 to 15 hours a day on the job.

Do you have your own authority or are you leased onto a company?

bibnflannel 11-19-2006 02:29 PM

neither...In Indiana, you dont need authority to haul grain or any agriculture produce, its an exempt commodity. The elevator I haul for just lets me go at my own pace for the entire year, and they have more than I can haul in a years time so it works out good for all of us. im just the second full time trucker theve had in the last 25 years, and I took over the truck the first guy had.

Deus 11-19-2006 03:23 PM

floored what kind of operating expenses (don't include any truck payments) could one expect to incur at fedex? I'm basically just trying to figure out how much money I'd need to gross in a month to pay the bills :-)

CrazyRussian 11-19-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibnflannel
neither...In Indiana, you dont need authority to haul grain or any agriculture produce, its an exempt commodity. The elevator I haul for just lets me go at my own pace for the entire year, and they have more than I can haul in a years time so it works out good for all of us. im just the second full time trucker theve had in the last 25 years, and I took over the truck the first guy had.

look's too good... I like job like this, but i'm living in NY....