Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   HOURS OF SERVICE QUESTION....HELP. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/22166-hours-service-question-help.html)

rank 11-11-2006 01:00 AM

HOURS OF SERVICE QUESTION....HELP.

I think I know the answer to this question but here goes anyway.

Is there a "5 hour rule" in the US? i.e can a driver go into the bunk for 5 hours and drive after that 5 hour period one time per week?

I have a driver in NY state that would like to get to Niagara Falls for tomorrow morning but it won't happen if he needs to spend 10 hours in the bunk. It could happen if he spent 5 hours in the bunk and tacked that extra 5 hours onto his reset time.

11-11-2006 01:31 AM

NO

Rawlco 11-11-2006 01:32 AM

Not under DOT regulations. The only split you can do is 8 hours in the sleeper and 2 hours off duty. Keep in mind that between the 8 hour (or more) sleeper breaks you get 11 driving hours in 14 hour window with the 2 hour break counting towards the 14 hours. You also can't have more than 11 driving in 14 hour window on either side of the 8 hour sleeper break. The complete explanation has been posted before, you can search for it.

rank 11-11-2006 02:24 AM

OK thanks that's what I thought.

Rev.Vassago 11-11-2006 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawlco
Not under DOT regulations. The only split you can do is 8 hours in the sleeper and 2 hours off duty. Keep in mind that between the 8 hour (or more) sleeper breaks you get 11 driving hours in 14 hour window with the 2 hour break counting towards the 14 hours. You also can't have more than 11 driving in 14 hour window on either side of the 8 hour sleeper break. The complete explanation has been posted before, you can search for it.

Not necessarily.

You can sleep for 5 hours, but it will count towards your 14 hours. The only thing that stops the clock is the 8 hour break.

rank 11-11-2006 04:19 PM

He got to the border late this morning after taking his SB time......only to discover the $%#@! title wasn't faxed to US Customs 72 hours in advance. Now he's stuck until Monday so it didn't matter anyway.

I'm so mad I could explode.

sidman82 11-11-2006 08:19 PM

Off topic. But nice can man! Is that temporary or what? Change of pace?

Rev.Vassago 11-11-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidman82
Off topic. But nice can man! Is that temporary or what? Change of pace?

I got bored this morning, and started playing in Photoshop. Thanks for the kudos. :wink:

RostyC 11-11-2006 09:25 PM

Bored? Well come on down to MD and slap some tools on I got work comin out of my ...........well I got a lot of work. :lol:

Oh yeah nice can...........that just sounds wrong :D

BanditsCousin 11-11-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC
Oh yeah nice can...........that just sounds wrong :D

His avitar aint that bad either :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :D :D :idea: