Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Taking Care of An Older Engine. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/21434-taking-care-older-engine.html)

Papa Rick 10-18-2006 09:27 PM

Taking Care of An Older Engine.

I have a 350 Big Cam Cummings engine with a 15 speed Overdrive, and am not sure how many miles is on it, but I know quite a bit. It uses about 1 gallon of oil per week 1500 - 2000 miles, and I know there are not any quick cheap fixes, but what suggestions would you recommend to help extend the life of this engine until I can afford to either rebuild it, or get another one.

I have heard people talk about Lucas Oil Stabilizer, but am unsure if it is for real. Looking for any suggestions to help out, as I just started with this Truck 3 weeks ago.

yoopr 10-18-2006 09:38 PM

Try to find some Sea Foam(That's the actual name of the Product) and put it into your Tanks-It does a great job for Cleaning Internal parts of your Engine.
Read the Instructions before dumping in the whole can first.

Windwalker 10-19-2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
Try to find some Sea Foam(That's the actual name of the Product) and put it into your Tanks-It does a great job for Cleaning Internal parts of your Engine.

I've never heard of it, or seen it. Where do you suggest looking for it? A particular truck stop chain? Please do not tell me PILOT... I REFUSE to do any business with them.

yoopr 10-19-2006 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker
Quote:

I've never heard of it, or seen it. Where do you suggest looking for it? A particular truck stop chain? Please do not tell me PILOT... I REFUSE to do any business with them.

Wouldn't catch me dead in a Pilot either unless it was a Dire Emergency.
When You're at home check with Advance or some other good Auto Parts store.
Good stuff for Diesel and cars-It's not a "Gimic" product and I've used it for years on both semi's and my Pickup truck.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechDiesel.htm

gcal 10-19-2006 04:44 AM

Quote:

Wouldn't catch me dead in a Pilot

off topic :
thats funny i was just there to shop tires. they wanted 3800 for 8 tires that les shwab gave me for 2300. and i thought les was a rape factory. i have learned a cheap lesson by just wasting gas and personal time to go there. i hope i never get stuck there and have to buy something.

thanks for the sea foam. i'll also look in to it.

Papa Rick 10-19-2006 12:21 PM

How about the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, anyone ever use it, and advice for this?

brian 10-19-2006 01:58 PM

uhhh seafoam breaks all the sludge loose, knocking all that sludge and stuff loose can have dire consequences in tired engines.

if you still wanna use it i`d just add it to the oil when your close to home then have the oil changed at the end of the day, as far as the fuel system goes, a couple tanks full of biodiesel will leave the fuel system spotless from tank to injectors.

yoopr 10-19-2006 05:13 PM

yeah it does which is why it's a good product-Of course you will have to replace your Filters after running with it for awhile. Knocks out all the Carbon Build up also.

bcbasher 10-19-2006 08:15 PM

well i can say this about my 400 big cam i have. about every 10th tank i add a gallon of oil to each tank. now the reasoni do this is because of my gear ratio on my truck is very high and i see a lot of high R`s on my motor. also the truck sat for along period of time before we purchased it. and when the new fuel and less sulfer in it this will also been bad news for our older engines. now i am not telling you to go out and add oil to your fuel but this is what helps my truck. do it if you want to thats your choice.

Sonny Pruitt 10-20-2006 08:55 AM

Go to Church.

Get aprrox 1 gallon of holy water.

Put in radiator