Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Conflicting view on O/O- Real Deal??? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/21113-conflicting-view-o-o-real-deal.html)

gwilukrz 10-05-2006 10:24 AM

Conflicting view on O/O- Real Deal???

Okay I have been doing some reading here and other forums and I know that you cannot believe everything you read. But generally most of the opinions on the boards, from O/O's, is that a you cannot make a good living as an O/O, a good living being 60K+, and have a nice truck. I know there are a few who can so I don't want you to pummel me on this, you guys seem to be a small minority, and good for you. Most of the replies go in this direction. Yet when I am on the road, I see so many nice trucks. Are these people living in their trucks, no house, car or anything else??? Does all their money go into their nice big shiny truck? What is the real deal? The replies on the forums do not seem to match what we see on the road. I have been in freight for many years and am driving a straight truck now. I will be driving a company TT very shortly and would like to know what options I may have for myself and what it really takes to have my own big shiny truck I can be proud of. Your honesty is appreciated!!!

brian 10-05-2006 10:38 AM

I make good money, I don`t see why anyone else couldn`t if they did their homework.

and by good money I mean more then 60k a year, far more.

gwilukrz 10-05-2006 11:22 AM

It seems doing the homework is key, but are all these guys who say it's so hard and you can't make it just whining about working? We all have to work. I'm not trying to be offensive, just trying to see the reality of it and why there is such a wide range of opinions. I would think if you ran ACCURATE numbers and didn't blow everything you made, you could do it and do just fine, but you need to make smart decisions.

Sonny Pruitt 10-05-2006 12:44 PM

you can make decent money as an o/o
you need to find the right company to lease to
there are still places you can make a decent buck as an o/o
I was leased to Triple Crown for 5 years and was paid very well
I have friends there now who are kicking $$$$$$$butt
there are a few intermocal outfits here that do well too
if you have to grind out 84cpm with "the best fuel surcharge in the industry" thats when you get into trouble.
you need to find a company that has accessorials
eg waitng time,unloading pay,stop off pay for all stops,tolls paid, even layover

tweety bird 10-05-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
you can make decent money as an o/o
you need to find the right company to lease to
there are still places you can make a decent buck as an o/o
I was leased to Triple Crown for 5 years and was paid very well
I have friends there now who are kicking $$$$$$$butt
there are a few intermocal outfits here that do well too
if you have to grind out 84cpm with "the best fuel surcharge in the industry" thats when you get into trouble.
you need to find a company that has accessorials
eg waitng time,unloading pay,stop off pay for all stops,tolls paid, even layover

I don't know about Triple Crown but everything else in this post is a good answer. Many o/o are making way less than their company driver counterparts when it's all said and done. It's just a rough business and things can go wrong fast. And many o/os are simply settling for the status quo- the 84cpm... I don't see how they are making it at even $1/mile to be truthful.

They work their butts off and seem to be just spinning the wheels.

If you are seriously considering buying a truck down the road, just make sure you do your homework and don't expect everything to work out just right.

solo379 10-05-2006 04:10 PM

Re: Conflicting view on O/O- Real Deal???

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwilukrz
But generally most of the opinions on the boards, from O/O's, is that a you cannot make a good living as an O/O, a good living being 60K+, and have a nice truck. I know there are a few who can so I don't want you to pummel me on this, you guys seem to be a small minority, and good for you.

I'm not sure, what exactly did you mean, by "nice truck", but even if you meant a "large car", with all the "bells and whistles", you still can have it, and make that living.

Or you could have an old cheap as dirt truck, and fail it!

The key is o make money not just run miles. The key is to be in that "minority", you have mentioned.
Yes, some of the guys you see on the road, with this nice shiny trucks, are working for that truck, not the other way around.
But for some, it's just cost of doing business, and be comfortable at it.

For example;- the guy, who makes $1.50 a mile, runs 120,000 miles a year, and have $2,500 a month truck payments, basically has a "free" truck compare to the guy, who runs the same mileage at $1.20 a mile.

It's all matter of personal preferences, where you spend your money as long as you are making it.

Personally, i'm kind of comfortable, in the middle of those two groups.
I prefer most efficient, well specs, but not too fancy truck, for my application. I also prefer to buy it new... :roll: 8)

Sonny Pruitt 10-05-2006 08:54 PM

A lot of times people buy trucks and lease on and don't really know the busness. If you lease to a company(from arkansas and you live in Conn.) that turns you and your truck into a "taxi waiting for a fare " every day at 85 cpm etc you will pay for your truck and thats about it.

Now(bring your chair a little closer to the screen) if you want to own a truck , raise a family, and live like everyone else, you need to find a company that has a terminal in your area like warehousing distribution, rail, air, port or a major customer of the company that constantly brings you back to the same place. You pick up Chicago? You bring it back to HOME BASE not some hole in the wall a thousand miles away from your house. If their is no place like this in your area then you are screwed.
Remember........HOME BASE
This for lease o/o if your have your own authority it would be different.

brian 10-05-2006 10:41 PM

I wouldn`t lease on for a set cpm, unless it was for 2$ all miles :lol:

I won`t deny my truck has alot of "extras" but I do all the work myself and its not affecting my familys way of life, I just take alot of pride in my trucks and like them looking good.

LOAD IT 10-06-2006 12:01 AM

I tried not to comment, but I have to. I am a proponent of getting your own authority. You have a goldmine of customers and you dont realize it. Not just you Gwilikurz, but all truckers. Dont worry so much about having a "large car" or a big shiny truck to be proud of. Get you a truck that you can afford, detail it, keep it clean and safe and you will start making money hand over fist. Can you be proud of that? Being a slave to the chrome or the finance company is not a good place to be and once you get behind it is very very hard to catchup. Especially if you are at the mercy of a lease carrier. Good luck.

10-06-2006 12:15 AM

Chrome does not put money in your pocket or food on the table.

Sonny Pruitt 10-06-2006 12:56 AM

just a quick comment on own authority
there is plenty of money to be made as a leased o/o
many times its the same difference as having own authority
I have my authority for a year now.
It is not for everyone
You need years of experience as an o/o to even consider it.
I see posters suggest "just go out and get your own authority"
Trust me this kind of step is the big leagues.

solo379 10-06-2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
I see posters suggest "just go out and get your own authority"
Trust me this kind of step is the big leagues.

It was very modest of you! :P :D

But seriously, that seems to be a problem! Too many people, enter the industry, w/o having a slightest clue, what are they doing! :sad:

hamboner 10-06-2006 01:48 AM

My dad has been an O/O for 35 years and has done well. Many of my dads friends have been in just as long, but have lil to show for it. Some of them basically run to pay for their shiny trucks and pocket lil else. This is a business where u get what u put in, and you better have a good money mgmt skills. My dad has always driven a nice truck, but nothing elaborate, and also......he has always chosen to go fuel mileage instead of looks.

Big John 10-06-2006 05:19 AM

It's not what you make, It's what you keep.

I sit down the other day in Joplin at the Petro with a fellow owner operator and we both called into the company. We both was wanting to know how much our settlement checks were. I got mine and then handed the phone to him, when he was told he was in the hole because of too many cash advances, he got mad and told them they made a mistake and was chewing on the payroll clerks ass pretty good, said he needed the money to make his truck payment and he only had one advance in the last two weeks. Well we are allowed $250 a week off our fuel card and if we need more we just make a phone call. He hangs up and calls dispatch and asks for another $250, I here the dispatcher tell him that he is in the hole and he has already received $500 that week in advance, he tells him that he has to send it to is wife to pay bills before they shut his Utility's off. Dispatch gives him a comcheck for $250 and he cashes it before we leave. When we leave the Petro we stop at 4 States Chrome Shop, I kept my money in my pocket and you guessed it, he bought over $200 worth of chrome. I said something to him about being broke, he said I will get up the road and call in for another advance and tell them I blew a tire or something.

truckrus 10-06-2006 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfmotors

But it does get the pu**y into the sleeper 8) :lol:

10-06-2006 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckrus
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfmotors

Probably, but myself, I would not want a puppy in my cab. They would pee all over the place when you sleep and chew on your slippers.

Hope this helps answer your question. I'm a super trucker in case you haven't noticed. I haven't hauled a single load yet but I seem to know everything.

driverboy 10-06-2006 10:24 AM

Stevey is going to make a killing in this industry as he has an IQ, and will apply common business sense to the profession he has decided to enter, trucking.

Others seem to take the opinion of I am making a mint but I have been doing this since 1945 when "you went uphill on both sides of a hill and we liked it". Therefore anyone with less experience will make nothing.

Sometimes I smile when I see the same trucks day after day, running up and down the highway losing money every mile. You would think they would sell the farm after a few money losing years but they do not, I wonder why.

I laid it out on another thread, a guy I run with grosses over 300,000 of 1 truck in a year, has been doing it for years and has a great lifestyle off that 1 truck. Run hard, you beat, 250K miles a year with himself and a drivers splitting the 250. I will model my O/O after this guy, he knows what he is doing. Businessman first, trucker second. Vice versa can get you into trouble at the chrome shop!

gwilukrz 10-06-2006 06:16 PM

Well thanks guys for all of the responses! I guess if you know what you are doing you should be okay. Obviosly your choice of truck can determine how okay you can be and a good head on your shoulders will make the difference. I am not planning on jumping into my own just just yet. Like I said I have been in freight for many years but driving a straight truck on regional runs for a little over 4 years, now into the TT work (regional). Once I have been doing this for a few years maybe, I may see what I can do. I want to get a better feel for it before I commit to something like that. Thanks again for all of you input, it has helped!

Jackrabbit379 10-06-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckrus

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Probably, but myself, I would not want a puppy in my cab. They would pee all over the place when you sleep and chew on your slippers.

:P 8) :lol: :P

solo379 10-06-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big John
It's not what you make, It's what you keep.

I sit down the other day in Joplin at the Petro with a fellow owner operator and we both called into the company. We both was wanting to know how much our settlement checks were. I got mine and then handed the phone to him, when he was told he was in the hole because of too many cash advances, he got mad and told them they made a mistake and was chewing on the payroll clerks ass pretty good, said he needed the money to make his truck payment and he only had one advance in the last two weeks. Well we are allowed $250 a week off our fuel card and if we need more we just make a phone call. He hangs up and calls dispatch and asks for another $250, I here the dispatcher tell him that he is in the hole and he has already received $500 that week in advance, he tells him that he has to send it to is wife to pay bills before they shut his Utility's off. Dispatch gives him a comcheck for $250 and he cashes it before we leave. When we leave the Petro we stop at 4 States Chrome Shop, I kept my money in my pocket and you guessed it, he bought over $200 worth of chrome. I said something to him about being broke, he said I will get up the road and call in for another advance and tell them I blew a tire or something.

Wow! That's a very illustrative story!
I don't know, who do you guys leased to, but it didn't sounds good! :sad:
I wouldn't even comment, on that other guy, and his "chrome", cause he is a moron, and wouldn't survive any deal. Not just cause of "chrome", but his attitude, and mentality.

But the whole deal, seems to be, on a low side, if $500 advance, could put you in a "hole".
:roll:

It's good for you John, that you could manage the money! 8)
Now, make a next step, learn how to make it!

Yes, it's not what you make, it's what you keep, but you still got to make some! :wink:

Cam 10-07-2006 01:00 AM

What the...!? Puppies!? Pu...!?

Quote:

Aw C'mon, now! You're making that up!!! :D

Big John 10-07-2006 02:45 AM

Quote:

Aw C'mon, now! You're making that up!!!
You don't think there is some guys out their that do that every week, I seen a few, most of them don't last long in the owner operator buisness.

solo379 Super Trucker wrote:

Quote:

I don't know, who do you guys leased to, but it didn't sounds good!
But the whole deal, seems to be, on a low side, if $500 advance, could put you in a "hole".
Where did you get your education, didn't moma teach you how to read when you was a wee little Super Trucker? :lol:

I have a good lease and I think I do very well, same company for ten years. Several good buisness minded owner operators there too, but you always have the guys that would rather spend all their money, then save it for the rainy days, they come and go.

I said he was already in the hole when he got his $500 advance that week and then he got another $250, I did not here the whole story over the phone. Maybe he is a slacker and runs more miles in the truck stop then out on the big road.

Quote:

Now, make a next step, learn how to make it!
O' I know how to make it, how about you? You need some advice just ask. :lol:

Truckdobe 10-07-2006 11:12 AM

Re: Conflicting view on O/O- Real Deal???

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwilukrz
Okay I have been doing some reading here and other forums and I know that you cannot believe everything you read. But generally most of the opinions on the boards, from O/O's, is that a you cannot make a good living as an O/O, a good living being 60K+, and have a nice truck. I know there are a few who can so I don't want you to pummel me on this, you guys seem to be a small minority, and good for you. Most of the replies go in this direction. Yet when I am on the road, I see so many nice trucks. Are these people living in their trucks, no house, car or anything else??? Does all their money go into their nice big shiny truck? What is the real deal? The replies on the forums do not seem to match what we see on the road. I have been in freight for many years and am driving a straight truck now. I will be driving a company TT very shortly and would like to know what options I may have for myself and what it really takes to have my own big shiny truck I can be proud of. Your honesty is appreciated!!!

Yes you can, but it's not easy.

Some people do live in their trucks and not have homes, cars or other things. Some by choice that can afford them and some because the truck is all they can afford. Most won't tell you which category they fit into, not honesty anyway.

Sonny Pruitt 10-07-2006 01:52 PM

Driverby wrote
"Others seem to take the opinion of I am making a mint but I have been doing this since 1945 when "you went uphill on both sides of a hill and we liked it". Therefore anyone with less experience will make nothing. "

experience is the key and that uphill both sides has to be climbed by you as well my friend.

Whatever you are good at fishing , hunting, video games etc you run into people with the wrong approach and if you feel generous you may give them a tip or two.
but inside you know they wont do well
a)they dont listen
b)they want to do it their way
c)they have a "friend who......"
Its no different with this board

There are drivers on this board who have been in the busness a long time
In a lot of ways we are "whats left" of the zillions of o/o who have tried and failed. ....seen em come and go....

Speaking of fishing I have to check the fall stocking schedule
yes an independant who has time to go fishing.........

solo379 10-07-2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big John
O' I know how to make it, how about you? You need some advice just ask.

Always could use an advice! I'm all ears, tell me about it! :)