Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Panama City FL bad? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/20140-panama-city-fl-bad.html)

09-05-2006 10:10 AM

Panama City FL bad?

I see the same loads going from my town to Panama City Florida but they sit for days on the loadboards. Is this a bad place and people avoid it?

GMAN 09-05-2006 01:34 PM

There isn't much coming out of Panama City, FL for a flat bed. There is an agent who has air conditioners. You will likely have to deadhead up to Alabama or Georgia to find a decent paying load. You can get steel out of Mobile, Fertilizer out of Dothan, AL, if you have hazmat.

Maniac 09-05-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Is this a bad place and people avoid it?

What is the load paying to go there? How heavy? Tarp or no?

The rate would have to be good because of the lack of freight in the area.

yoopr 09-05-2006 09:39 PM

Got that steel mill in Birmingham, AL. but that's quite the DH
Paper mill in Pensacola but you hauling paper would pretty much be ruled out.

brian 09-05-2006 09:43 PM

same with loads going from seattle to denver, not a whole lot of good frieght leaving denver so these loads sit for a while.

LOAD IT 09-05-2006 10:39 PM

Re: Panama City FL bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I see the same loads going from my town to Panama City Florida but they sit for days on the loadboards. Is this a bad place and people avoid it?

Contact Floridin in Quincy, FL this shipper loads flatbeds, pays good for Florida freight. May be worth while to DH to Alabama or Georgia, compute your deadhead into the rate for the load going into Florida.

09-06-2006 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac
Quote:

Is this a bad place and people avoid it?
What is the load paying to go there? How heavy? Tarp or no?
The rate would have to be good because of the lack of freight in the area.

It was no tarp and I don't remember how heavy. I just see these loads going there at least once a week and they sit on the board for days. I wasn't sure if Panama was a place to avoid like N.Y. City.

GMAN 09-06-2006 12:51 PM

You don't have some of the hassles in Panama City as you do in New York. There just isn't much coming out of there, freight wise. If you get a good rate going down, you should be able to dead head out to where you can get something that pays fairly well. It is amazing how just crossing a state line into Georgia or Alabama can make such a difference in rates.

Bigmon 09-07-2006 02:53 AM

Hang at the beach for a few days.

GMAN 09-07-2006 12:38 PM

Now that sounds like a productive use of time. :P